I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Elpus View Post
I did some more testing last night around the 5 Ghz connection.

I had to go round a number of loops to get a wireless connection established but it did connect at 5 Ghz . However, that did not result in Android Auto firing up.

One thing I did notice was that subsequent attempts to get a wireless connection completely failed. If you try to connect manually, the phone prompts for a password despite "Connect automatically" being set on the connection entry. Unless I missed it, there was no point where a password was required to establish the initial connection so no chance of knowing what it was.

I give up. I'm going to root out my old magnetic phone holder and power the phone via USB as the wireless charging can't supply enough power to even keep the battery at a static level.
The wireless charger is somewhat of a joke. With my iPhone it barely charged the phone at all when using CarPlay for music over a 45 minute drive. With using maps or other apps while driving it couldn't charge the phone at all. I ended up using a Brodit mount specific for the X1, which I believe the company is based out of the UK. MUCH better charging rates and keeps the phone in my eye line, which is sometimes necessary when driving because CarPlay doesn't support certain apps I use while working.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 1
Iggi4.00