View Single Post
      03-22-2024, 09:24 PM   #12
Iggi
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2023

Guys, after pinging BMW tech support for dozens of time, they finally revealed why the Wireless Android Auto is NOT working....

Wireless Android Auto requires both Bluetooth connection to the smartphone and Wifi-Direct 5GHZ connection to the smartphone.
The 5 Ghz frequency must be supported and enabled by the Wifi-Direct Hardware which is part of the BMW head-unit.

The WiFi-Direct hardware within BMW head-units from the recent years typically support the 5 GHZ frequency (and also the 2.4 GHZ frequency).

BUT... in some regions/countries, BMW failed to comply with local regulations to support the 5 GHZ frequency in such way that it is not interfering with local network infrastructure (which is also using 5 GHZ frequency).
So, in such regions/countries, BMW just silently disabled the 5 GHZ frequency of its WiFi-Direct, which means that BMW's WiFi-Direct actually operates only at 2.4 GHZ frequency, which is not enough for the Wireless Android Auto to work.

BMW does not provide this information in the error message displaced in BMW Head-unit, upon connection failure of Wireless Android Auto.

BMW does not provide this information in their Web Site and in their FAQ

BMW online tech support does not provide this information when you open a ticket. (They typically tell you that the problem is with your smartphone, or you need to upgrade to the latest software version, or other irrelevant stuff).

When you log-in to your BMW web portal with your VIN number, BMW shows that the Wireless Android Auto is fully supported and operational for your specific vehicle.

So, not sure why, but it seems like the real reason is possibly hidden from people that purchased BMW cars and struggle to connect to connect their Android Smartphones to BMW's Wireless Android Auto.

This problem is not relevant to iPhones, since Apple CarPlay requirements are different.

This problem is not relevant to the speed/frequency of your smartphone's internet connection (provided by your local mobile operator).

Another interesting point is that in the regions/countries where BMW's Wireless Android Auto is not working, the Wireless Android Auto is working perfectly at most other car brands (i.e. Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai, etc.) The reason for that is that these other car brands do support 5 GHZ WiFi-Direct in such a way that it is compliant with local regulations.

On my way of searching for solution to get the Wireless Android Auto working in my car, I was suggested to try the "coding" option, which is actually sending a certain code (via the OBD port of the car), which enables the 5 GHZ WiFi-Direct in BMW's head-unit. I heard that some car shops offer such coding procedure (i.e. $800), but it is not clear what happens with the warranty of the BMW and whether this coding is kept or deleted upon next periodic software update of the BMW.
If someone know more about such a coding, and perhaps about the code, and perhaps if it can be done using OBD-Bluetooth dongle + app, --- please share your knowledge with your fellows...
Appreciate 0