CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
I guess that's the real question then... should a worthless college degree exist in college and be subsidized by the govt in the form of a loan... in other countries, education is nearly free, so it doesn't really matter... there is little risk outside of later not finding a job.

Here the risk is falling into lifelong debt and not having a job... again, this is only true in the US - remember that.
In my opinion, no. That also stems from the narrative kids are fed these days, going back to when I graduated high school in 2008. The idea that you won't be successful unless you get at least a Bachelor's degree and preferably a Master's. Career planning should be an integrated part in high school education, even if it is just shadowing different fields to see if you enjoy them and want to pursue that. The trade schools do a similar thing for their first 2 years. Like I stated before, education is important, but only if it is right for that person and part of their plan. I dated a girl who seemed like she was always in school. She went for her Master's "just because" but really had no plan and was in a mountain of debt without any real direction.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
ASAP10193.50