03-26-2024, 02:42 AM   #4
John27
John27
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 23i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
I'm by no means an expert, or even a mechanic, but I've done a couple of headliners on BMWs in the past.

It's not too complicated to change the headliner in a BMW unless they changed the way they do things recently. The fabric is on a semi rigid backing and comes out all in one piece. The hardest part is usually removing or installing it without making a crease, but this is much easier on a wagon or SUV since it has a large hatch. The airbag buttons are usually just covers that pry off that hide a screw underneath, the actual airbags are not usually integrated into the covers themselves.

The only potential trouble areas I see are: The moonroof sliding fabric cover, the B pillars, and changing out any other parts to black such as seat belt guides and all the other misc trim.
I have changed headliners before but not on a BMW. I agree its straightforward but is easy to mark and crease on installation if you are not careful (and that may ruin it before you start). You do need patience to do this. Never done one involving a pano or moon roof before though - this is an additional level of complication.

I also agree FlashMonkey929 above, usually trim around the headliners will need to be replaced as well. I've not seen an X1 with any other colour than a black headliner but I assume in addition to the items suggested above, things like the switches on the roof etc will need to be changed as well as I assume, on your version, they are a light colour and not black? If that is the case, this could work out to be an expensive exercise?

Good luck.
Appreciate 0