04-06-2024, 04:47 AM   #4
John27
John27
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 23i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer_H View Post
New UK poster, moving over from many years of Audi ownership come next Thursday.

2024 25e plug in hybrid
M sport
Pro pack
Tech pack
20 inch wheels
Panoramic roof
Tinted rear windows
Portimao blue

I’ve waited almost 12 months for this car, it’s replacing an Audi A3 TFSIe 245 competition (plug in hybrid), my A3 is a very similar spec to the X1 coming but obviously Audi and no Quattro system so being 245PS it spins the wheels for fun when it’s using the electric motor and engine in tandem, you cannot really use the power unless it a bone dry, warmish day, any hint of slip and the ESP kicks in and cuts the power.

This brings me onto xdrive, how does the xdrive system work in the X1?

I am told it’s predominantly FWD, and diverts power to the rear wheels should the front wheels slip, my question is this, how does it work and can you feel the front wheels slip before power is pushed to the rear wheels for more grip?

Is the 245PS in the BMW going to be more usable than the 245PS in my current A3?

My Mrs has had BMW’s for years, she has a new 2 series gran coupe coming when we come back from Mexico in July so needless to say, I’m very excited for my first BMW.

Loved the Audi’s I’ve had over the years but fancied a change, plus I play golf, we have 2 small kids so needed something bigger.. basically a bit of a ‘dad wagon’.
My understanding (there are a number of videos on Youtube) is that XDrive is to BMW's what Quattro is to Audi. In BMW's case. 40% of power is directed to the front wheels and 60% to the rear during normal use. In the event any wheel loses grip, the XDrive system transfers up to 100% of the power to the appropriate axle to retain control. I can't find anything that says XDrive works differently on the new X1 (U11) than it does on other BMW's but I am not sure if being a PHEV has any impact either? Others may be able to help with this.

You were told that the car is predominantly front wheel drive where power is transferred to the rear wheels only when the front slips. That seems to describe the VW/Audi AWD Haldex system which I had on my previous car (VW Tiguan - same on Audi Q3). The X1 seems to me, to be far more sure-footed with XDrive.

Hope you enjoy you new car.
Appreciate 0