View Single Post
      08-11-2009, 08:43 AM   #8
Rustycat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: z4mc

I purchased an 06 M Coupe from a member of this board, approx. a month ago. Like you, I was concerned about the premium sound and wanted to have the best sound available from the factory. Having lived with the premium sound for the last month and 2000 miles, I have come to know the qualities of the "premium sound" system BMW chose to put in the car. And, I'm sorry to tell you it is a very very poor system from the head unit through the amps and culminating in the speakers. I realize we are dealing with a very small space (although the high end headphone manufacturers have little trouble with small spaces, ggg), but the execution of the sound system in this car is terrible.
I could go on to say the radio, which doesn't even have a mono switch for fringe areas, and God only knows how bad it would be with just one antenna..... The integrated preamp is a master of misdirection sending various frequencies willy nilly through the speakers, with the occassional strident squawk that makes one wonder: WTF?. The tone quality and the integration between the tweets, mids and woofers is best described and non integrated and of tabletop radio quality. Frankly the system's best quality feature is it can be turned on without engaging the key while sitting and waiting for someone. Make no mistake, this premium system falls flat on all fronts.
Too bad, they didn't spend the money do provide a decent sound system, but, when they marketed it as "premium", I think they crossed an ethical line.
Lew
Appreciate 0