Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 LCI - BMW U11 late 23

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAPMAN48 View Post
p.s. Does anybody know what the blob of red is between the "6" and "7" on the RPM thingy (i can't call it a dial cos it isn't), just noticed it. Wonder if it is serious. The engine coolant temp thingy is at bottom-right out of picture.

Are you referring to this line?
It's called "red line" and it's there to indicate the unsafe RPMs zone for your engine, meaning that you shouldn't be revving at those RPMs or you may risk some engine failures.
In the past it was something to really keep in account, especially downshifting on a manual transmission; nowadays most engines and transmissions will automatically kill the ignition if you reach the red zone.
The red line has been on RPM gauges since the dawn of motoring, are you sure your previous cars didn't have it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAPMAN48 View Post
p.s. Does anybody know why BMW have abbreviated miles to "mi" when everbody else uses "ml" bit like "SUV" and "SAV" I suppose.
I guess they did so in order to adhere to the international standard of units. ml stands for milliliter and folks at BMW for sure didn't want that kind of confusion. Quoting from Wikipedia:
Quote:
Abbreviation
The mile has been variously abbreviated in English—with and without a trailing period—as "mi", "M", "ml", and "m".[4] The American National Institute of Standards and Technology now uses and recommends "mi" to avoid confusion with the SI metre (m) and millilitre (ml).[5] However, derived units such as miles per hour or miles per gallon continue to be abbreviated as "mph" and "mpg" rather than "mi/h" and "mi/gal". In the United Kingdom, road signs use "m" as the abbreviation for mile though height and width restrictions also use "m" as the symbol for the metre, which may be displayed alongside feet and inches.[6] The BBC style holds that "there is no acceptable abbreviation for 'miles'" and so it should be spelled out when used in describing areas.[7]
Attached Images

Appreciate 1