vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
When I was 13, I helped my grandfather build a house one summer. He was 60 years at the time and as I near that age now I'd like to check that off my list. I've built boats, cars and even an airplane. My wife thinks it's too hard a job at my age but if gramps could do it I'm sure I can too.
When I was in my early 20's, my father built his house acting as the general contractor. He was a perfectionist, and fired the masons after only two courses of foundation cinderblocks because they weren't level enough in his eyes. Lets just say that I and the rest of our family had a crash course in mason school to get it finished over a weekend, because the framers were showing up on Monday morning.

Now that I'm at your grandfather's age (and in not-so-great health), I still plan to build our retirement Garage Mahal down south at the tree farm. I did learn one lesson from my old man, though...build on a poured concrete slab!!!!!