I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggi View Post
Per answer from BMW (and per my test), U11 X1 2023 does not support wired Android Auto connection. It only supports Wireless Android Auto connection.

As well as I remember, BMW told that U11 X1 2023 does not support wired CarPlay connection. It only supports Wireless CarPlay connection. And, indeed, Wireless CarPlay is working OK with U11 X1, but it requires iPhone Smartphone. Since, CarPlay is not compatible with Android Smartphones, it leaves BMW owners with Android Smartphones without any solution to connect to BMW Android Auto.
Note: old BMW models support wired CarPlay, so there can be a workaround with a 3rd party converter box - which connects with a cable to CarPlay of BMW and also allows Android Smartphone to connect wirelessly (via AA protocol) to the converter box. This workaround (converter box) works OK for old BMW models, despite having some limitations (i.e. delays, resolution, quality, etc). This workaround does not work for newer models of BMW.

If Anyone knows about possible solution for Wireless Android Auto for U11 X1 (without 5GHZ of WiFi-Direct) - please share the info!
Yes, I was doubtful that wired CarPlay worked, but they were adamant in their post that they could use it wired on their U11. I just tried it (with Bluetooth and wifi disabled on my phone) and indeed it only works wirelessly. But, as I stated earlier, Apple CarPlay uses 5Ghz and Bluetooth. So if CarPlay works in your region, Android Auto *should* work as well and whatever BMW told you about the transceiver not passing certification would be a lie. There are many owners here having issues with iDrive 9 and Android Auto though, regardless of region, and your problems could be related.
Either way, as I don’t use Android or iDrive 9, I’m sorry I can’t offer more insight.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 1
Iggi4.00