View Single Post
      04-17-2024, 07:03 AM   #25
Iggi
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaste View Post
So first of all, upgrade your pixel 6 pro to android 14. The update has been available for a very long time now. There is no reason to stay on Android 13.

After that, I would do a full reset of iDrive 8 (not just a reboot).

Then re-pair your phone to the car.
As I mentioned above, the problem with Wireless Android Auto (that I described) is due to BMW disabled 5Ghz frequency in BMW's WiFi-Direct Hardware within BMW head-unit.
This problem happens in ALL BMW models sold in areas/states/countries where BMW's WiFi-Direct 5GHz frequency is not compliant with local government regulation for using wireless frequencies.
It is known that same problem was reported with brand new X5, sold in same region.

This problem is not due to smartphone issues and it happens with all Android Smartphones. I was able to reproduce this issue using Google Pixel6 with Android 13, Android 14, with 4 different new models of Samsung smartphone, and with Sony smartphones.
As part of my testing, I did try re-booting BMW's iDrive, re-setting BMW's iDrive, forgetting previous smartphone connections within iDrive, and re-pairing smartphone with iDrive (from scratch).
Nothing helped to fix the problem, which is logical, since we know that this specific problem is due to BMW's WiFi-Direct disablement of 5 GHz frequency. Bottom line: BMW's Wireless Android Auto fails to connect to any Android Smartphone in certain areas, states, countries.

Note: there are other Wireless Android Auto problems reported by BMW owners (such as ability to connect with intermittent disconnections), which are totally different problems, from the problem described above.
Some of them might be possibly resolved by updating ID's software version, updating smartphone software version, and resetting/re-pairing the hardware units from scratch.
Appreciate 0