BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Changing Personal Mode?

Today, 02:34 AM   #1
rocketman99
Lurker
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C, '24 X1 M35

Changing Personal Mode?

So maybe I'm imagining things, it's been a while now. Anyway, when I first got my X1 I seem to recall that I could actually choose things in personal mode for my modes. I tried the other day and there is no gear icon or menu or anything to change a single setting in my modes. I can change sport and efficient, but not personal.

I'm X1 M35 on iDrive 9 on 3/24 software. So, can anyone change settings in personal mode or am I just imagining that I could at some point back when and no longer can? Yes, I've done multiple idrive resets.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:52 AM   #2
markronnie
New BMW Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1 28i

Garage List
2024 BMW X1 28i  [9.00]
I’m not able to alter settings in any mode other than SPORT on my ID9. Never could.
I don’t like the transmission shifting in SPORT & prefer a tighter steering wheel. So I adjust the SPORT mode settings to the ones I prefer. The downside is once I change transmission setting out of SPORT, I have a 2nd step to disable the ASS
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:48 AM   #3
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman99 View Post
So maybe I'm imagining things, it's been a while now. Anyway, when I first got my X1 I seem to recall that I could actually choose things in personal mode for my modes. I tried the other day and there is no gear icon or menu or anything to change a single setting in my modes. I can change sport and efficient, but not personal.

I'm X1 M35 on iDrive 9 on 3/24 software. So, can anyone change settings in personal mode or am I just imagining that I could at some point back when and no longer can? Yes, I've done multiple idrive resets.
In Personal Mode, you can choose any color ambient lighting you want, and you can choose from 3 different IP displays (showing RPM, Power or nothing on the right side--press the steering wheel gear button <*> and tap the click wheel to the right to scroll). These settings cannot be changed in any other mode. I'm not aware of any other display settings that can be changed, other than what is displayed in the middle of the IP, which can always be changed.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:54 AM   #4
markronnie
New BMW Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1 28i

Garage List
2024 BMW X1 28i  [9.00]
Tex2670 is correct.
There are driver screen changes you can make while in Personal mode but no personal setting changes are enabled within PERSONAL MODE.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:23 AM   #5
JAYtheVET
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 X23d MSport

Garage List
I have sport mode set to comfort motor and sport on everything else. I just switch to that mode when I start the car. The motor is punchy enough for me in comfort but I like the better suspension response and tighter steering. It limits display options and ambient color but it still does what I want it to do.

Maybe try that...?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:54 PM   #6
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

I have a side question,

2024 X1 2.8….. how the hell do I turn off traction control without having to put the car in Sport Mode??
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
2024 U11 X1 2.8i
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:34 PM   #7
Cam330i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman99 View Post

Hello!

Being that you only have Personal, Efficient, and Sport mode(s) in your MY Modes menu, it looks like your Digital Premium subscription trial has ended! New X1's and X2's get a 3 month free trial period to the Digital Premium content! However, once the trial period is over, you are given the option to continue using the Digital Premium Content via subscription service and you can either pay monthly ($10 a month) or you can pay annually/yearly ($99 once a year) and you can have both of them be set up with automatic payments via the myBMWapp!
NOTE: If you like Digital Premium and you plan to use it indefinitely, they do give you a discount if you choose to renew your subscription annually/yearly!

If you re-activate your Digital Premium subscription, you will then have more "MY Modes" to choose from and all of them are purely themed based and will have no impact on your vehicle's handling and performance. The additional "MY Modes" are:
- Expressive Mode - a blue/yellow theme
- Relax Mode - a sage/tan theme + a "relaxing" sound via iconic sounds
- Digital Art Mode - a purple/mint-green theme + the control display will slowly change design

A few things to note about the MY Modes:
1. Personal, Sport, and Efficient are the only ones that will change the performance/handling of your car.
2. As mentioned, Expressive, Relax, and Digital Art are purely theme based, but they will alter/change the sound of the Iconic Sounds if you do drive with it on.
3. ALL of those modes can be saved to your Favorites/Shortcuts menu and they can also be activated there as well! This will make both the "MY Modes" button and app icon somewhat useless.
4. With the additional driving modes, you will be given a unique setting that will allow your X1 to default to whatever mode you want and your choices are: Personal, Expressive, Relax, and Digital Art!
(e.g., if you like expressive mode, you can have your X1 default to expressive mode and it will remember that setting)
5. Personal Mode, as of now, is the ONLY MODE that you can choose your own Ambient Lighting color - the other modes will change the color rather you like it or not!

Does it get any worse? The answer is: YES
The X5/X6/X7/XM with iDrive 8.5 have the ability/option/setting to separate the driving modes and the ambient lighting color! -____-

What else do you get with the Digital Premium subscription?
* SIX driving modes total: Personal, Efficient, Sport, Expressive, Relax, and Digital Art
* The ability to play games on the control display via: Air Console Games (You ain't playing games on that thing!!)
* Access to more streaming apps like Spotify (and a bunch of other apps that no one has ever heard of)
* BMW's A.I. - (aka: "Hello BMW") can appear with a face, as opposed to just bubbles
* Unique exterior welcome lighting settings when unlocking/locking the car
* The ability to use the "Automated Habits" setting/app - (you ain't using that either)
*Enhanced Maps and Navigation interface (e.g., 3D view, enhanced traffic alerts, etc.)
NOTE: Augmented Reality can be used with or without Digital Premium

Lastly, besides the myBMW app, you can also subscribe to Digital Premium using the control display in your vehicle, but I think the app is easier! Digital Premium can be found in the "Connected Drive Store" app/icon!

Lastly, if your X1 does NOT have Remote Engine Start and/or Driving Assistance Plus, they can also be added to your car and I believe they give you a free trial period!

Digital Premium, Remote Engine Start, and Driving Assistance Plus can all be found in the "Connected Drive Store" app/icon, and to my knowledge, you do NOT need Digital Premium to use Remote Engine Start or Driving Assistance Plus!

Down below I'll include the link to BMWUSA's Connected Drive Website, and there you can read more about their additional services + they also have offer PDF guides for additional support (incl. FAQ's)

https://www.bmwusa.com/explore/conne...html#resources

https://www.bmwusa.com/content/dam/b...6559202447.pdf

My thoughts on Digital Premium:
* No shade or judgement to anyone who likes and uses Digital Premium, but I think it is a bit insulting and absurd that you are paying a lot of money for a BMW X1/X2, only to have BMW charge more money via subscriptions for a "better experience" At the price of the X1/X2, all of that Digital Premium stuff should be included by default + I'll use the streaming apps that I already have on my own via Apple CarPlay!
* Again, no shade or judgement to anyone who likes and uses Digital Premium, but I wouldn't pay for it - I'm not a fan of all of these subscription-based services that many are switching to (e.g., dating apps, YouTube without ads, etc.)

I do have ONE VERY IMPORTANT question for you (y'all): ARE SIRI/ALEXA/GOOGLE STILL USEABLE AND FUNCTIONAL WITHOUT DIGITAL PREMIUM OR DO THEY BECOME LIMITED OR POSSIBLY NON-FUNCTIONAL?

If you (or anyone) can answer that, I'd be most appreciative!

Please let me (us) know if you have any additional questions and I am sorry for the long, lengthy, and detailed post! lol

Best,
Cameron (2025 BMW 330i - I named him: "Hayko")

Last edited by Cam330i; Today at 01:38 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0