BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) 24 X1M35 Fun to Drive, but not to own.

Yesterday, 10:50 PM   #1
BarrettDB
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2Comp AW

24 X1M35 Fun to Drive, but not to own.

I was very pleased to get a 2024 X1m35i a few months ago. The fit and finish of the vehicle is terrific. The sport seats are comfortable and there is no fatigue when driving for a long distance. The handling is good for an SUV, and in fact, this X1 feels more like a station wagon than an SUV. It also looks very nice - and I have the M Compound brakes. Sport mode is great for a vehicle like this. The B-48 pulls better than you would think it should. Very cool.

But... after dozens of BMWs in my lifetime (in my 60s now), this is the worst ownership experience I've ever had.

The charging tray will not charge unless the phone is at 55% charge, and then at a rate of approximately 6% per hour. Totally unacceptable.

Note that it appears my vehicle has iDrive 9, version 24-07.

After multiple visits to my dealer to address the horrible lag of the accelerator when not in SPORT mode, I was able to get a service advisor to go for a ride. He was able to experience the dramatic lag that exists once you press your foot on the accelerator when in any mode (Personal or Efficient) other than SPORT. It was clearly more than a second. I agree with his thought that this isn’t an MSA function, but something else. Regardless, it makes the vehicle dangerous and another unaccceptable issue. A $60,000.00 vehicle shouldn’t have this type of failure - and that’s what it is. The look on his face when he first experienced the delay was something to see. He was shocked - and noted he'd not keep a vehicle with this failure.

My workaround for now has been to create a shortcut to put the vehicle into SPORT mode. The problem with that is the resulting mileage. When in personal mode, I am getting about 27 MPG. When in SPORT mode, I am getting 14.9 MPG. The difference is approximately 120 miles of distance cut off, and at an average price for 91 octane fuel, that’s about $40.00 I’m losing per tank of gas (assuming Personal mode was safe to use). ALSO, when in SPORT mode, the accleration is jerky and not smooth. It almost feels like a misfire when you step on the accelerator. I know it isn’t but that’s how it feels...

The vehicle doesn’t unlock the doors when you approach it every time. I was able to demonstrate that to the dealer.

The shortcuts have reset to NONE and I had to reapply them. No issues since that event - but it’s only been about ten days.

The drivetrain malfunction warning has come on twice since I last picked up the car. Interestingly, both occasions on the same day. A very hot day. Stopping the engine and then restarting resulted in no warning coming back on.

The audio cuts out every few minutes for about one second. This is for any audio that isn’t the vehicle radio. I’ve experienced this with an iPhone 14 and 15, Pixel 3, and Android Samsung phone. I have a software company, and we have all of these phones. BMW says there is "no fix" at this time.

The vehicle continues to exhibit a rattle (in the 9/6/24 RO, it was listed as creaking… it’s actually a bit of a rattle, but only on hot days. It hasn’t occurred in the past few days when the tempurature has been cooler.

The rear hatch has closed on my head multiple times. I haven't heard it, so “noticed” it when it banged into my head. It stopped coming down when that occurred. It should be noted that both feet were behind the bumper, so it could not have been one of my feet accidentally engaging the tailgate action.

Every time I try to set up and program the digital key, within a day or two, it no longer works. If I look at the MyBMW app, I get a message that reads: This key has been deactivated by BMW M.

No matter the time of day or tempurature, 8 out of 10 times when starting the vehicle, a warning comes on that reads: not all driver’s assistance functions are available.

I cannot activate WLAN. The app let’s me connect to ATT, but I get an error (I have a pic), and when I asked ATT customer support, they told m to contact BMW.

The drive recorder has stopped working. I will try to reset it again, but it looks active, but the app doesn’t open.

When the vehicle hits <50 miles, a low fuel warning appears. That’s useful but if you shut the car off, then start it again (in my case the next day), the warning doesn’t come on again, and I nearly ran out of fuel, because I forgot that it was low.

I am not using the parking assistant, as I don’t trust the vehicle. It may be fine, but I’m not comfortable using it.

There have been multiple occasions when the car, while running will not display any function, nor will it allow selection of drive, reverse, etc. It will not allow me to unlock the parking brake. The Air Conditioning is in the OFF position during this phase, even though it’s set to an auto function normally. When I turn the car off, then on again, the display returns to “normal” and I can select a gear and disengage the parking brake. The Air Conditioning does not always go back to the pre-selected setting prior to the “blank” non-functioning screen. I have a video of one of these experiences, but typically this occurs when I’m out at a stop light or other public place where getting the car moving and safetly out of a potentially bad situation is more important than video. Hopefully, the vehicle’s “black box” will show these errors.

There are some controls that are not available, no matter how I select them from the respective app in the vehicle.

I have not renewed the Digital Premium subscription, and don’t know how that might affect things, but from what I’ve read, it shouldn’t have anything to do with the performance or comfort of the vehicle.

I am aware of the brake related recall and that there are no parts currently available.

I have called BMW Customer Service in New Jersey, without any satisfaction. I will try again this coming week.

I know there have been many complaints about iDrive 9. Has anyone else experienced any of these other issues?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:26 AM   #2
greengob
Rep
Drives: X1

The standouts for me from the issues you mentioned are the acceleration lag and the audio cutting out every few minutes. The audio one is an annoyance. The acceleration lag is straight up dangerous.

There have been multiple times I need to clear an intersection quickly and barely make it because this thing doesn’t move right away. Like you said, sport mode is not an acceptable workaround due to the massive hit to fuel consumption.

I haven’t raised any concerns with my dealer because frankly I have no faith in there being a solution that isn’t selling the car back which I’m not really in a position to do. I’ve owned it for almost 10 months now so I also wonder if there’s a point where they no longer treat my concerns as seriously as a new owner.

Every day I hope for a miracle software update that solves everything…
Appreciate 0