GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

10-24-2016, 01:28 PM   #1
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Car Magazine comes to a Motor Trend-like result

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Car Magazine conducted their Sports Car Giant test for 2016. They did one better than Motor Trend and placed the M4 GTS in last place. Rather than Motor Trend's second to last. Behind the M2.

Top Gear's Speed Week '16(Chris Harris) placed it behind M2 as well. Chris simply said the M4 GTS was the biggest disappointment of the test.

Sports Car Giant 2016 test video:
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/feature...battle-it-out/

Top Gear Speed Week Video:
http://www.topgear.com/videos
Appreciate 1
SunnyD456.50
      10-24-2016, 03:26 PM   #2
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Please do not say motor trend and car magazine in the same sentence Respect Randy Pobst but that's about it. Yes I was surprised Harris was so disappointed. He did however say something along the lines of saving the cash and just getting an M4
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2016, 04:09 PM   #3
CirrusSR22
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

I bet General Motors paid Car Magazine to put the M4 GTS last
Appreciate 1
Gatte1193.00
      10-24-2016, 04:32 PM   #4
Captain Unknown GT4
Captain
Rep
Drives: GT4

A subjektive road test. The GTS is more developed on track than most cars on here, its accually got 2500 possible ways of fine tune that chassie so I guess that would keep racer James Taylor accupied For a while if he was accually keen to find a sweetspot setup.

I for once only did buy GTS to go on track, and it will do that better than most of these cars. You would not want to own a 488 and go to track, no One of these guys mention that the pad compound on that car is 50% of Whats on my GTS. Also them PORSCHES got solid pad materials, 488 you wear out instant on track, due to 50% less pad material vs real track cars like M4 GTS, GT4, GT3 etc.

Each to their own, but these subjektive test dont give me much. Car and topgear seems to like new NSX, and thats al fine. Then again the M4 GTS out lap that car by 0.7 seconds when same solid sport auto driver lap short 2.6km hockenheim.

Where is Audi R8, it did not even make the cut I guess, hence less than GTS then? Hm if I had to pick a car, mind you I only drive track. Sure the MacLaren would be cool, then again got several friends who drive them on track and they always seems to have some issue.

Porsche 911R, cool solid car, would be ok still For track even its softer than GT3.
M2, For track, hm no way, that car wash out them street tires in One lap(no camber as well).

Then again For a street car I could see my selfe in even that hardcore alfa, i like that 4 Doors on a street car and to hoon 1 or 2 laps in it on track on some event would been fun For sure.

What ever these mags say I am very happy in my GTS, the only propper track car in this test. If no cage from Factory then no propper track day toy.

Would I like chris rather have a normal m4 For my track workouts, hell no. Never would I take that over GTS For track day fun. Then again if I only was on street, I might do that
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1478.00
      10-24-2016, 09:49 PM   #5
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

GTS is a very expensive car and owners/fans will see what they want to see, nothing wrong with that though.
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4861.50
      10-25-2016, 03:54 AM   #6
Captain Unknown GT4
Captain
Rep

Thing is I think For the performance it give, and the possibility to fine tune chassi and aero to tracks and personal driverstyle, also full cage and god Safety and free service 3 year. Also its developed on track, once you drive it you feel it. It is driven 50000km in development, its driven hard For long time on Nurburgring, hence it will do track work with ease! Not al cars will do that, they will like Corvette Z06 go in to limp mode due to poor development. Would you belive me if I told you I was keen to buy that bad Ass Z06 when it came last year I think it was. Mind you I did change my mind as car was having big issue with the cooling, hence It did not handle track work.

If a car come from factory with real 3 ways adjustble chassie and cage, well you can understand it will do well on trackdays. Its not al about the 1 ultimata laptime. Its about having a car that overall do well on tracks every summer, at every event. I got a GT4, its solid on tracks, still way to understeery in stock form, hence much dollars go to tires. Also I got GTS, much more well developed For track work from factory than my GT4. No understeer and I work them 4 tires in a superior way vs GT4.

Now I will not even talk about how poor a stock BMW M2 will make use of its 4 tires on track. Or that Ford.
So I guess a hard-core trackday tool like M4 GTS could never in the same way do god in a subjektive road test?! That remind me of motortrend flying over city speed bumps.
But spend a few days lappning SPA or Nurburgring if on the right setup on aero and chassi, well then its different. Do that in most other cars in these test and they fast wash out them street tires. A GTS is solid tire temp and pressure even after several fast laps, also water no issue(thats just media crap)

This will not bee the case in many other cars in test, due to lack of track development they are not fun after 1 lap. Them street tires wash out instant due to lack of camber and development at track.

Street is street and track is track, its not even about 1 and only fast lap. Its about driving For days and days in the summer. So very personal how One make use of car. Sure there are better street cars than GTS, in the same ways there are better track cars than stock BMW M2.

Last edited by Captain Unknown GT4; 10-25-2016 at 04:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 04:06 PM   #7
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Unknown GT4
Thing is I think For the performance it give, and the possibility to fine tune chassi and aero to tracks and personal driverstyle, also full cage and god Safety and free service 3 year. Also its developed on track, once you drive it you feel it. It is driven 50000km in development, its driven hard For long time on Nurburgring, hence it will do track work with ease! Not al cars will do that, they will like Corvette Z06 go in to limp mode due to poor development. Would you belive me if I told you I was keen to buy that bad Ass Z06 when it came last year I think it was. Mind you I did change my mind as car was having big issue with the cooling, hence It did not handle track work.

If a car come from factory with real 3 ways adjustble chassie and cage, well you can understand it will do well on trackdays. Its not al about the 1 ultimata laptime. Its about having a car that overall do well on tracks every summer, at every event. I got a GT4, its solid on tracks, still way to understeery in stock form, hence much dollars go to tires. Also I got GTS, much more well developed For track work from factory than my GT4. No understeer and I work them 4 tires in a superior way vs GT4.

Now I will not even talk about how poor a stock BMW M2 will make use of its 4 tires on track. Or that Ford.
So I guess a hard-core trackday tool like M4 GTS could never in the same way do god in a subjektive road test?! That remind me of motortrend flying over city speed bumps.
But spend a few days lappning SPA or Nurburgring if on the right setup on aero and chassi, well then its different. Do that in most other cars in these test and they fast wash out them street tires. A GTS is solid tire temp and pressure even after several fast laps, also water no issue(thats just media crap)

This will not bee the case in many other cars in test, due to lack of track development they are not fun after 1 lap. Them street tires wash out instant due to lack of camber and development at track.

Street is street and track is track, its not even about 1 and only fast lap. Its about driving For days and days in the summer. So very personal how One make use of car. Sure there are better street cars than GTS, in the same ways there are better track cars than stock BMW M2.
You do know that there are no tracks in the US that are a long as the Nordschleife.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2016, 03:58 AM   #8
Captain Unknown GT4
Captain
Rep

I do know that, then again It do not change anything in my book. Car is well developed also on your average flat modern track. As long as you get the setup right its all god.
I did try to put down all positive test on GTS here http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1318369

I hope others could put in the negative test they find to balance it out a bit👍
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2016, 04:51 PM   #9
Captain Unknown GT4
Captain
Rep

Now this is more on par with how I feel my GTS, far from that CAR and topgear test...

Appreciate 0