BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-13-2022, 11:07 AM   #1
N1gh7mar3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5M

Gates Innovations Digital Key Fob

IDK how many of you might be interested but I purchased a Gates Innovations Digital Key Fob last week under the pretense that I would be receiving a pre production product at a discounted rate ($275) from the retail price of the finalized product at $375 - $425. Shortly after my purchase I was informed that I would be receiving the latest version as they have fast tracked their finalized product.

Most of the nitty gritty details are on their page and once I send my key in and receive the final product, I will post a review.

I am mentioning this as the pricing on their site still reflects the pre production pricing and some of you may be interested in this at the discounted rate.

I don’t think I can post links as of yet but Vehicle Virals on YouTube has a review of the pre production unit if you are curious about the key fob upgrade.
      06-13-2022, 11:08 AM   #2
N1gh7mar3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Seems like I can post links now. If posting the product link is against forum rules please let me know.

https://gatesinnovations.com/collect...cation-service
9vapors653.50
      06-13-2022, 07:24 PM   #3
FirstBMWLA
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Does this actually add any functions?
Reading through site I don't see anything exciting really
I must be missing something.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2022, 09:37 PM   #4
daytonaviolet
OEM CSL Whore
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2017 F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstBMWLA View Post
Does this actually add any functions?
Reading through site I don't see anything exciting really
I must be missing something.
Fast forward to 9:50

I agree this digital key fob brings nothing to the table. If anything seems fragile with the glass display. I would rather have a smart phone app like tesla so you don't use a key fob.
Appreciate 2
      06-13-2022, 09:58 PM   #5
N1gh7mar3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaviolet View Post
Fast forward to 9:50

I agree this digital key fob brings nothing to the table. If anything seems fragile with the glass display. I would rather have a smart phone app like tesla so you don't use a key fob.
Probably so, that why I am glad to be the guinea pig. I’ll give you a full review in a month or so when I get my key back.

Last edited by N1gh7mar3; 06-14-2022 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 2
      09-07-2022, 09:52 AM   #6
Prak903
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i xDrive Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by N1gh7mar3 View Post
Probably so, that why I am glad to be the guinea pig. I’ll give you a full review in a month or so when I get my key back.
Sorry to bump old thread - but did you ever receive your key? I sent in my old key for their modification process but have not recieved any emails after the initial one.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 12:21 PM   #7
9vapors
Major
Rep
Drives: CB X5M

Yikes… hope you guys get your keys… seems sketchy
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 07:24 PM   #8
N1gh7mar3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I sent my key in two weeks ago due to moving. I also haven’t received confirmation of anything as of yet but I am not currently worried and will wait another 2 weeks before I contact their customer support.
9vapors653.50
      09-07-2022, 07:28 PM   #9
N1gh7mar3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

9vapors653.50
      09-08-2022, 04:41 AM   #10
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Wait so you have to press a button, so you can press another button on your LCD?

The auto unlock based on proximity sounds nice. I always wanted to be like 10m away from my car and have it automatically open for other people. I wonder if it will allow it you to start the car whilst the car is outside. The additional "please drain my battery" dongle. This is a must buy.

In all seriousness why do you need to send them your key? Can't you just pair a blank FOB buy holding it against the steering column?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2022, 01:24 PM   #11
Brian74
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Scam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1gh7mar3 View Post
I sent my key in two weeks ago due to moving. I also haven’t received confirmation of anything as of yet but I am not currently worried and will wait another 2 weeks before I contact their customer support.
Hey...Have you ever heard anything or received your key? I sent mine in about a month ago now and only have heard from them once since I sent it in that they received it and that's it. I can't get an update....
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2022, 06:54 PM   #12
Banned_n_DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F10 M5 Comp / 2018 X5M

I sent my key in for my F10 M5 { non digital } @ the end of June. I emailed & followed their instructions to the Tee. I never received a reply to confirm they got the key. I called to UPS store & spoke to the manager & they confirmed that the package was delivered & picked up on the 8th of July. After a few weeks & a few emails I did get a reply apologizing for the delay on the 10th of August. I was told that they had been moving to a new location & that my key should be done & shipping next week. On the 29th I was asked to confirm my shipping address & on the 7th I got an email with a tracking# saying the package was on the way! However as of 10 seconds ago the tracking # still shows only a label has been created! IMO I don't think they scamming anyone but they definitely need to be more honest about the turn around time frame!!
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2022, 02:28 PM   #13
N1gh7mar3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Scanning through emails and I found this that I missed…

Gates Innovations Fam:

This is a mass BCC email going out to everyone that purchased a digital key that shows unfulfilled on my side. Please do not 'reply' to this email as it will keep replies within a single thread where I'm unable to sort through efficiently which will cause missed emails. If you have additional questions, please compose a new email to support@gatesinnovations.com with your order number in the subject line, example: Gates Innovations Order XXXX. Subject lines that are blank, obscure, and/or only include punctuation is automatically sorted into a separate SPAM folder and could get missed or delayed.

I want to first thank everyone for their orders and support through this digital key journey. I truly appreciate it. I know many of you receiving this mass email ordered under the early adopter phase and still waiting for your key. I have so many lessons learned on my side throughout this process and want to apologize to all of you for the delays. I'm truly embarrassed and working diligently on getting everyone's key checked in, modified, and shipped back as soon as possible.

For visibility, I'd like to just share the primary reasons why things have been delayed. The purpose of this mass email is to quickly touch everyone that may be waiting for an update. Because I have limited bandwidth, this was much more efficient to get the initial message out to everyone. I will still get back to everyone's individual email as soon as possible, if applicable.
  • The initial delay for the early adopters was that I fast tracked the final release version, so anyone that had ordered a digital key will receive the final release version which include the latest UI along with a performance bump in hardware. I have these keys now, and in the process of modifying/fulfilling keys in the order in which I receive them.
  • I unexpectedly needed to move shop spaces which caused the additional delay. I hope to be finalizing my lease this week and moved into my new space by next weekend.
  • Gates Innovations was started due to my passion for design, manufacturing, and to be within the automotive community. However, I recently transitioned into a new role that's very demanding with more business travel than originally expected. I will be working on hiring help to clear out the current backlog.

General Updates
  • The ship to address in the confirmation email is an actual UPS store that handles my package service.
  • If your tracking number shows 'delivered', I have your key. If your key shows delivered to the ship to address but is actually lost and I am unable to locate it (has never happened), I would never leave anyone hanging. I would cover costs associated with replacing your key direct through BMW.
  • Once I check in your key, you'll receive an automated tracking notification as this is when I print the shipping label. Your key will likely ship within 2-4 business days once you receive this notification.
  • The UI will ship with the Gates Innovations Logo, but can be changed if you hold the logo for 10 seconds. It'll bring up a new screen where you can select a different emblem.
  • For better overall visibility, I will be creating a Discord where I can provide better visibility on things that are happening along with more exclusive access for existing customers for upcoming projects. I'll be sure to share the invitation link once available.
Again, I do appreciate everyone's support and that you've all been so patient through this process. I will do my best on continuing to get everyone's key completed quickly. I completely understand if the wait time has been too long. If you prefer a refund, please send a separate email to support@gatesinnovations.com and advise how you'd like to proceed. Please reach out if you have any additional questions, I'm happy to help. Thank you again, all!

Sincerely,
George Shih

Last edited by N1gh7mar3; 09-12-2022 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2023, 10:57 AM   #14
mouh60
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i Xdrive

Resurrecting…..I ordered the digital key fob for my 2013 F30 (328ix) in April of 2022. They sent me an email stating that it would take a couple of months as they were waiting on parts from their supplier. Around August and still nothing so I contacted them. Turns out I slipped through the cracks. Apologies were forthcoming and the key arrived within 3 days. Essentially, you send them a functioning key. They gut it and install the insides on the digital key so the new digital key works just like the old key. It has options that you can customize such as proximity levels, Comfort access settings and you can input your phone number in case key is lost and a kind person decides to return it. It’s a sturdy key fob, the firmware is snappy and it comes with an OBD BT dongle. For those of us like me whose car didn’t have Comfort Access from the factory this dongle along with the key fob allows for Comfort Access, (car locks/unlocks as you near it or walk away) key stays in pocket and no coding needed. No battery drain as feared. BTW they do send back the original key fob housing you sent. Not bad, I like it.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2023, 06:46 PM   #15
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouh60 View Post
Resurrecting…..I ordered the digital key fob for my 2013 F30 (328ix) in April of 2022. They sent me an email stating that it would take a couple of months as they were waiting on parts from their supplier. Around August and still nothing so I contacted them. Turns out I slipped through the cracks. Apologies were forthcoming and the key arrived within 3 days. Essentially, you send them a functioning key. They gut it and install the insides on the digital key so the new digital key works just like the old key. It has options that you can customize such as proximity levels, Comfort access settings and you can input your phone number in case key is lost and a kind person decides to return it. It’s a sturdy key fob, the firmware is snappy and it comes with an OBD BT dongle. For those of us like me whose car didn’t have Comfort Access from the factory this dongle along with the key fob allows for Comfort Access, (car locks/unlocks as you near it or walk away) key stays in pocket and no coding needed. No battery drain as feared. BTW they do send back the original key fob housing you sent. Not bad, I like it.

Interesting, I thought the OBD port had the alarm if used on by default. So this must disable it. Given how easy thing are re-appropriate normally, i wouldn't want to make it less noisy.

I'm not sure how I feel about having a live BT dongle always on and connected to the OBD port.

I wonder what sort of security testing they've done with this thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2023, 10:27 AM   #16
Xolinlevh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F15 35d

Just finding this thread....very interesting. Pointless but a cool upgrade none the less....
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2023, 12:12 PM   #17
TexasRiderBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

The concept is nice, but serves no purpose unless you do not have comfort access. Silly that you have to use the side buttons to turn the screen on, when you can just use those same buttons for all the digital functions it performs. Not to mention the lag in the menu is painful to look at.

If it were a truly digital FOB and the screen activates with a gesture motion and the menu was more fluid and responsive, it would be a cool option for those wanting one.
Appreciate 0