BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

06-04-2021, 02:23 PM   #1
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

My saga (doesn't end well)

So I went through a broker and placed an order for a car on 3/26/21, with the understanding they had no allocation. Paid the broker, placed my deposit and have been waiting ever since, with a few follow ups to the dealer here and there to inquire about my allocation. I'm in Florida and the "deals" here are terrible.

As we now know MY22s start production in July, I contacted the dealer to confirm that my place in line will simply flip over to a MY22 RWD car.

The dealer (who is in the midwest) tells me that they have 8-10 people waiting for MY22 and that the allocations are switchable between RWD and AWD and that everyone on their waitlist is waiting for an AWD car. Basically telling me I just went from first on the list to somewhere between 9 & 11.

I had no idea that allocations could be configured to choose between RWD and AWD and in fact, I responded in another thread that that was not possible.

The dealer is telling me the deposits he has down for the AWD take priority since they are local buyers and they have all been placed for months prior to mine. He said its possible they could get through their list and I'd be given an allocation for a RWD in OCTOBER or NOVEMBER at best, but he's just taking a shot in the dark and really has no clue.

He offered to refund my deposit, but that still leaves me out my broker fee unless the broker agrees to refund me.

I understand the climate we're in and I understand the dealer having to take care of his AWD customers who have had deposits down for months, but this just feels like BS. I'm so frustrated. Been waiting for an allocation for over 2 months and now I'm back to square one, actually behind square one since whatever I find now will be significantly more expensive than what I was going to be paying.

Extremely frustrated to say the least!

Last edited by KnightedBMW; 06-04-2021 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 03:15 PM   #2
G80SWFL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 bmw m3

We’re in Florida are you ? I ordered at a m3 base in Sw Fl been waiting for allocation since my order of April 16
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2021, 03:15 PM   #3
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

That sucks man.

I didn't want to deal with this BS and just bought a car that was coming in to stock.

Is your spec very particular? I would cut my losses and just pick up something that's in stock or on its way in to stock that's close to your spec

I got an awesome Dravit gray car with carbon exterior pack in less than two weeks just by making a call or two. No way I'd wait around months when it's summer now and it's the time to be driving it!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 03:16 PM   #4
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80SWFL View Post
We’re in Florida are you ? I ordered at a m3 base in Sw Fl been waiting for allocation since my order of April 16
Palm Beach County.
      06-04-2021, 03:17 PM   #5
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
That sucks man.

I didn't want to deal with this BS and just bought a car that was coming in to stock.

Is your spec very particular? I would cut my losses and just pick up something that's in stock or on its way in to stock that's close to your spec

I got an awesome Dravit gray car with carbon exterior pack in less than two weeks just by making a call or two. No way I'd wait around months when it's summer now and it's the time to be driving it!
I've been reviewing in stock cars, and I'm willing to bite on one. Doesn't have to be exact spec, but I'm not throwing caution to the wind and getting something on the complete opposite end of the spectrum from what I wanted.
      06-04-2021, 03:26 PM   #6
Sbm007
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX (Oxide Grey)

Garage List
That sucks hard, I've been following your posts for the last month or so... was rooting for you to get your allocation this month hopefully.

I too thought allocations were bound to the model itself, eg BASE RWD, COMP RWD or COMP AWD.. really surprised the dealer said they can be switched between the models... part of me thinks that's BS tbh
2022 G80 M3 Competition M xDrive (Oxide Grey)
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 03:37 PM   #7
LivinLrge
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition

Garage List
2021 BMW M4 Comp  [0.00]
2011 335is  [10.00]
Sorry to hear, I also am in PBC KnightedBMW - havent had the best of luck down here. I went with a broker out of NY and got the car from NY, currently doing PCD delivery on 7/1. Placed order on 4/16, went into production on 4/20 and on the boat 5/18. DM me if you would like his info.
      06-04-2021, 03:47 PM   #8
Nkr15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbm007 View Post
That sucks hard, I've been following your posts for the last month or so... was rooting for you to get your allocation this month hopefully.

I too thought allocations were bound to the model itself, eg BASE RWD, COMP RWD or COMP AWD.. really surprised the dealer said they can be switched between the models... part of me thinks that's BS tbh
It makes sense to me, there's 2 different models manual and automatic. In the automatic allocation you have the option to add the AWD package, similar to adding laser lights or carbon buckets.
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2021, 03:54 PM   #9
Sbm007
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkr15 View Post
It makes sense to me, there's 2 different models manual and automatic. In the automatic allocation you have the option to add the AWD package, similar to adding laser lights or carbon buckets.
Here in the UK the AWD is a completely different chassis code, 32AY for Comp RWD, and 42AY for Comp AWD.

Even on my order sheet, the difference is listed as a "model change" not the addition of a new option (I changed my RWD to AWD when it became available)
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 03:59 PM   #10
iqstick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Quote:
Here in the UK the AWD is a completely different chassis code, 32AY for Comp RWD, and 42AY for Comp AWD.

Even on my order sheet, the difference is listed as a "model change" not the addition of a new option (I changed my RWD to AWD when it became available)
Guy at the dealer I spoke to told me that they are NOT interchangeable. The allocation is tied to the model and Comp AWD is a different model. It's not like adding a different package to the car.
Appreciate 1
Sbm007615.50
      06-04-2021, 04:08 PM   #11
Sbm007
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iqstick View Post
Guy at the dealer I spoke to told me that they are NOT interchangeable. The allocation is tied to the model and Comp AWD is a different model. It's not like adding a different package to the car.
Sounds right to me.. OP I would double check with the dealer
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 04:20 PM   #12
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqstick View Post
Quote:
Sounds right to me.. OP I would double check with the dealer
This is exactly what I figured. Now I feel like the dealer just knows he can get more for the car and doesn't want to honor the deal as originally agreed to.

Last edited by KnightedBMW; 06-04-2021 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
LivinLrge201.00
      06-04-2021, 05:29 PM   #13
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

Both broker and dealer should refund you your money. If broker doesn't want to refund they should be bending over backwards to find that same deal somewhere else. Failing that - name and shame both of them so everyone knows what dealer and broker to be avoiding
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 05:34 PM   #14
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Paid in credit card? Charge back.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 08:13 PM   #15
Kminor2578
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantagathus View Post
Both broker and dealer should refund you your money. If broker doesn't want to refund they should be bending over backwards to find that same deal somewhere else. Failing that - name and shame both of them so everyone knows what dealer and broker to be avoiding
I agree, name shame on this board, and I am sure the broker is reading our messages. Bimmerblog folks hold a lot of weight in member comments.
Appreciate 1
Ibiza3649.50
      06-04-2021, 08:20 PM   #16
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kminor2578 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantagathus View Post
I agree, name shame on this board, and I am sure the broker is reading our messages. Bimmerblog folks hold a lot of weight in member comments.
Broker hasn't done anything wrong… yet. OP has not even asked for his fee back… of course if he does and the broker refuses then he should be outed here and on leasehakr
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 08:54 PM   #17
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Broker hasn't done anything wrong… yet. OP has not even asked for his fee back… of course if he does and the broker refuses then he should be outed here and on leasehakr
Correct. Broker hasn’t done anything wrong yet. I haven’t asked for $ back and there’s been no refusal to give it back. I’m giving everyone the chance to make everything right. No name shaming/call outs at this time.

I hope to get this worked out. I’ll, of course, update accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 07:09 AM   #18
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15, G05 X5, G80 M3 6sp

I feel bad for you bud. It's a tough time to wait since the weather is finally nice everywhere. Sounds like your in a tough spot but like some have said in this thread it may be time to look around at what in stock cars dealers may have. If you get an allocation now you are looking at almost end of summer to get it but you are in Florida so at least you can still drive it in off season. I think the dealer is stringing you along like many have had happen and it could go on for way longer. Time to cut bait in my opinion. Good luck with everything!

Last edited by LuckyBrand; 06-06-2021 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 1
LivinLrge201.00
      06-07-2021, 12:09 AM   #19
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
if you want a good CA and dealer who won't give you the run around drop me a DM and I'll send you someone's info who will take care of you
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 12:53 AM   #20
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

You were out your broker fee the second you placed an order at a dealer that doesn't have a car or an allocation for a car. You could have left a deposit and a spec'd a car they won't get anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 07:38 AM   #21
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
You were out your broker fee the second you placed an order at a dealer that doesn't have a car or an allocation for a car. You could have left a deposit and a spec'd a car they won't get anywhere.
False. Spoke to my broker this weekend; will refund 100% of my fee if I choose to pull the plug, which I have not yet decided to do.
      06-07-2021, 07:56 AM   #22
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

UPDATE: had extensive discussions with the dealer and my broker this weekend.

Dealer Convo
As stated above, my dealer is in the midwest and has had a list of AWD customers dating back to 2020. I am first on the list for a RWD car. His understanding is that the MY22 allocations are flexible, meaning that the dealer can choose to spec the allocation as AWD or RWD. I did not believe this to be the case, but he sent me his allocation list for June (noting no M3s) showing that cars that come in RWD and AWD are flexible. I saw the document direct from BMW. He is of the belief that this should be the same for M3s, meaning, if he gets an allocation, he can opt for AWD or RWD. If he's able to do this, he's going to opt for AWD cars as his list goes back to last year, well-predating my deposit. I don't fault him here.

I explained that I think he's mistaken and everything I've read/heard states the M3 allocation is not flexible. He stated if that's true and he cannot choose between AWD and RWD, he'll happily give me the allocation. He also said he'll show me his next allocation sheet reflecting any M3 allocations and whether it shows those are flexible.

I also got a very nice deal on the car, which the dealer stated he'd honor regardless of when I get allocated a car. He's the GSM, not a CA, so I know he's not blowing smoke.

Lastly, the dealer stated he will refund my deposit if I don't want to stick it out.

Broker Convo
Aside from speaking with the dealer, I spoke to my broker. He is understandably frustrated as well as this is his business. He stated that if he can't put someone into a car, its very problematic. He has worked with this specific dealer on many transactions and is certain this will work out for me (obviously can't give a timeframe since nobody has much info).

The broker also agreed to refund 100% of my fee and stated he will keep trying to get me the allocation and once he does, I can re-send him the fee if I choose to proceed. He's not taking (and hasn't taken any more M3 orders) as he can't produce cars so if I wanted the refund, I'd still be top on his list for an allocation.

Where my head is at
I'm currently in a lease till January 2022. I don't need the car this minute, but I do want the car this minute. My gut is to wait and see what happens with 2022 allocations. If they aren't flexible, then I'm fine and I should get an allocation pretty soon. If they are, and I fall to the bottom of the list, I'll see how many allocations per month the dealer is getting and then decide whether I want to pull out.

I know people are saying, "why don't you just pull out and go get a stock car or find an allocation elsewhere?"

Well, my deal is for 7% off with base MF. There is no chance I'm getting anywhere close to that deal now. I'll be lucky if I get MSRP. If I needed the car now, obviously it would be a different story.

Since I don't need the car and my deal will remain regardless of when I get the allocation, I think I'll sit tight for a little while and see what happens with the 2022 allocations. I'm praying they're not flexible and I'll have one soon, but if they are, I'll have to reasses.

Here's to waiting some more.