F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > For those who ordered their 328i w/ Manual Trans
ARMA SPEED

05-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
DualBMWsPA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 BMW X1

Question For those who ordered their 328i w/ Manual Trans

If you ordered your 328i with a Manual Transmission and have received it with a Manual Transmisson, was there a line on your Vehicle Inquiry Report for "ZMT - Manual Transmission?"

My CA said (and I quote from an email): "The sheet will only indicate if it’s automatic. So by this not indicating automatic, it means it's manual. That would be the last thing we would mess up, we know you love your manual!"

My fear is that he's WRONG! I had questioned him because, on a spreadsheet I'd received from him, it listed the car as automatic. He said that was a 'generic' spreadsheet and they just hadn't updated the spreadsheet. However - I stumbled upon www.bmwvin.com, which looks to have all of the correct info for my build, but it lists it as an automatic! And having just read eric@helix's post about his 'manual' 328i FINALLY showing up, but having an automatic transmission, I'm definitely concerned.

Since I've already asked my CA about the transmission once, I'm TRYING to have faith that they know what they're doing and it will be correct when it comes in - but I'm definitely starting to lose some faith. The car's currently at the VPC (at least I'm guessing it's still there - it got there early yesterday morning), and I'm expecting it to be at the dealership in the next week to week and a half. I'm really hoping the dealer didn't screw up my order!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

I ordered a 328i MT. Though I have not received it yet, my vehicle inquiry report DOES have a line that says "ZMT - Manual Trasmission".
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Mine is 335i manual and the order sheet did say manual on it.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #4
bmwm311
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '12 Alpine White F30 N20 ZSL

yep my order sheet said ZMT on it
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
DualBMWsPA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

If you ordered a manual transmission and you do NOT have "ZMT - Manual Transmission" on your order sheet, you're NOT getting an automatic. I just got confirmation from my dealer that they screwed up and my car is coming in as an automatic. I DO want to go see it when it gets to the dealership within the next week (haven't seen a 328i in the Melbourne Red Metallic in person yet), but I'm definitely NOT taking delivery of it!

I'm hoping for kindness from an IL dealer who has one that has everything I ordered on mine plus satellite radio. With any luck, they'll be willing to part with it and give it to my dealer!!! If not, not sure if I'm going to wait for another one to be modified in prod and shipped or just go with something else. I've already been without a car for 7 weeks...I'm NOT looking forward to another 6 weeks OR MORE without one!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhn2bmws View Post
Thanks to everyone for your replies.

If you ordered a manual transmission and you do NOT have "ZMT - Manual Transmission" on your order sheet, you're NOT getting an automatic. I just got confirmation from my dealer that they screwed up and my car is coming in as an automatic. I DO want to go see it when it gets to the dealership within the next week (haven't seen a 328i in the Melbourne Red Metallic in person yet), but I'm definitely NOT taking delivery of it!

I'm hoping for kindness from an IL dealer who has one that has everything I ordered on mine plus satellite radio. With any luck, they'll be willing to part with it and give it to my dealer!!! If not, not sure if I'm going to wait for another one to be modified in prod and shipped or just go with something else. I've already been without a car for 7 weeks...I'm NOT looking forward to another 6 weeks OR MORE without one!
Tell them you are very disappointed in their performance and the fact that your CA lied to you about that's how the manual's look on the order sheet and the only way you will order from them again is if they can give you a good price, like under invoice. This seems to be the only way you might can sway me from reporting you to BMW corporate, BBB, dealer rater, etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
PrazVT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M240i 6mt (soon)

Mine showed ZMT as well. The BMW production tracker finally updated its status a week or so ago and showed the correct colors, etc. (i had changed them) and it shows manual transmission as well. So hopefully I'm good.

@kuhn2bmws, I hope you get the car in IL. I can't imagine (and I hope I won't have to) how irritated you must be after waiting so long.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
DualBMWsPA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrazVT View Post
Mine showed ZMT as well. The BMW production tracker finally updated its status a week or so ago and showed the correct colors, etc. (i had changed them) and it shows manual transmission as well. So hopefully I'm good.

@kuhn2bmws, I hope you get the car in IL. I can't imagine (and I hope I won't have to) how irritated you must be after waiting so long.
Thank you! I'm mad, disappointed, and extremely frustrated! eric@helix had the same thing happen after a 10 week wait (his post inspired me to call my CA and get confirmation of my transmission)! It's really amazing to me that these dealers don't know how to order cars with manual transmissions correctly!

Since the production tracker shows ZMT on yours, I'm SURE yours will have a manual! Where are you in the order process, PrazVT? Any idea when you might have yours? I hope things go smoothly for you. I'm sure they will...I think eric@helix and I are more the 'exceptions' than the 'rules!'
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #9
toph
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i Sport 6MT

Sorry that happened to you. My CA provided a printout of the order sheet when I placed the order and we both sat down and reviewed the order line by line.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 07:39 PM   #10
DualBMWsPA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toph View Post
Sorry that happened to you. My CA provided a printout of the order sheet when I placed the order and we both sat down and reviewed the order line by line.
Thanks...unfortunately that wouldn't have saved me. My CA told me that the fact that it DIDN'T list manual transmission meant it HAD a manual transmission. He said it would only list automatic transmission if I'd chosen that because the manual transmission is standard and the automatic is an 'option.' Turns out he was wrong...and I'm now suffering for his mistake.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 08:27 PM   #11
PrazVT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M240i 6mt (soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhn2bmws View Post
Thank you! I'm mad, disappointed, and extremely frustrated! eric@helix had the same thing happen after a 10 week wait (his post inspired me to call my CA and get confirmation of my transmission)! It's really amazing to me that these dealers don't know how to order cars with manual transmissions correctly!

Since the production tracker shows ZMT on yours, I'm SURE yours will have a manual! Where are you in the order process, PrazVT? Any idea when you might have yours? I hope things go smoothly for you. I'm sure they will...I think eric@helix and I are more the 'exceptions' than the 'rules!'
My biggest fear was that the car would end up being different from what I specified. My dad bought his '09 335i from the same CA that I used. So we know him - he's generally a good guy, but I had to get on him about making sure all details / options were accurate. He had the trim color wrong for a few days, but I went there in person and showed him the correct trim name.

I believe my car started production yesterday (5/21) and I'm scheduled to pick it up in Munich on June 18th (ED). So far, I've scheduled my vehicle drop off and booked my plane tickets. I'm getting ready to sell my current car and then it's just waiting until June 15th when I fly out.

I guess the lesson is that we all just have to get on the dealers' cases to make sure everything is accurate b/c they are people and not all experts with some of the details. Hell my CA told us BMW was still doing the 2 for 1 plane ticket thing, which was part of the reason we went with ED ..but we found out after the fact that BMW / Lufthansa don't do that promo anymore. He's not off the hook for that just yet. I plan on perhaps upgrading to 19" wheels later (M Sport ones maybe?) ..so he better give me a break on that.

Anyway - so what are the dealer's options at this point? I can see one is perhaps finding a similar car already at a dealer. Would they build a new one correctly for you as well?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 04:37 PM   #12
DualBMWsPA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrazVT View Post
I believe my car started production yesterday (5/21) and I'm scheduled to pick it up in Munich on June 18th (ED). So far, I've scheduled my vehicle drop off and booked my plane tickets. I'm getting ready to sell my current car and then it's just waiting until June 15th when I fly out.

I guess the lesson is that we all just have to get on the dealers' cases to make sure everything is accurate b/c they are people and not all experts with some of the details. Hell my CA told us BMW was still doing the 2 for 1 plane ticket thing, which was part of the reason we went with ED ..but we found out after the fact that BMW / Lufthansa don't do that promo anymore. He's not off the hook for that just yet. I plan on perhaps upgrading to 19" wheels later (M Sport ones maybe?) ..so he better give me a break on that.
ED - how exciting! I'm sorry to hear about the mistake regarding the 2 for 1 plane ticket thing. Hopefully they do give you a break on the wheels (or SOMETHING) for the mistake on the plane tickets. Were you able to confirm that your car's in production?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #13
DualBMWsPA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

YES!!!!

Just an update on the car situation. The IL dealership WAS nice and they ARE parting with 'my' car! So - just waiting for it to be shipped from the IL dealership to my dealership now. I'm very excited that I should be getting my car soon!!! Thank goodness I found one (and **I** did find it - it never showed up in the dealer's search!) and don't have to wait another 6-8 weeks or more for another one to be built and shipped!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #14
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Nice, glad it will work out.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #15
DualBMWsPA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnderson23 View Post
Nice, glad it will work out.
Thanks! Me, too! And thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2012, 09:42 PM   #16
F30.ca
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: GTI

Mine says mech under transmission.
Appreciate 0