BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Gut Reno - What Extra Features To Plan For?

04-07-2022, 09:28 AM   #23
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracin View Post
Anyone have experience with the Lochinvar Noble boiler? Wondering how long they last vs a conventional boiler.
Before you buy a gas boiler, you had better check with ConEd to see if you can get gas service if it isn't already installed and on an active account. The NYC TV news talking heads have stories at least once per month about people who did renovations or new construction, and can't get the gas turned (back) on because of a gas connection moratorium due to overloaded main pipe capacity.....
nyalpine907415.00
      04-07-2022, 10:12 AM   #24
rcracin
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Before you buy a gas boiler, you had better check with ConEd to see if you can get gas service if it isn't already installed and on an active account. The NYC TV news talking heads have stories at least once per month about people who did renovations or new construction, and can't get the gas turned (back) on because of a gas connection moratorium due to overloaded main pipe capacity.....
Thanks. I’m good here. I have a gas connection that won’t be turned off from the street.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619086.50
      04-07-2022, 10:16 AM   #25
rcracin
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycplumber View Post
@rcracing are you referring to their combi/tankless units? The biggest benefit to anything tankless is space. They will cost more to install and can be harder to service due to the design, parts availability and finding people who are familiar with them. I've installed dozens of them and they're great units. Gotta weigh the benefits of space savings and efficiency. Fwiw a conventional boiler will be relatively trouble free for nearly 20 years and if there is any issues any basic plumbing supply with have the parts. Nothing worse than not having hot water during the winter because you're waiting for parts.
So i’m looking at warmboard for heat and they only offer the boiler with their complete package, not the combi. I want to keep my conventional hot water heater.

I’ve serviced many conventional hot water boilers over the years and love being able to get parts from a local store when needed. Love nyc for having a 24/7 boiler parts place in brooklyn.

But it would be annoying to lose my radiant heat in winter if the wall unit goes bad and it takes weeks to get parts. I’m doing split units so i’ll have backup heat, though I’m not doing the hyperpump. I just missed the coned rebate everyone’s been taking advantage of.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 10:48 AM   #26
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Can you help a noob out with a link to understand the use?

I can definitely run the conduits and snake wires in afterward. Just need to think of strategic placement for the rooms.
Google 1/4 wall rack. There are so many options. Depending on final target applications, you may want to consider including vent fans if you want to close off the rack. HOPEFULLY your internet comes in near the basement. Then the top of the rack can have 2-3' conduit go straight up into the ceiling/floor, and spread to all the rooms. Put at least a 2-port network box in every room, even if you don't connect anything now. If you end up with a designated man-cave type room, consider 4 or 8-port box. That way you have ethernet home run to the rack, where you can have switches connected to your internet.

Also, if you consider having external cameras, or something like Ring at the door, run conduit to there as well. Wi-Fi works, but nothing is as good as having an ethernet cable right there.

Don't snake wires later. Put sting in during installation.
Appreciate 1
rcracin1250.50
      04-07-2022, 08:46 PM   #27
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Anyone have experience with the Lochinvar Noble boiler? Wondering how long they last vs a conventional boiler.
A former boss loves Lochinvar for commercial applications. He knows his stuff so based on his view they must be good.
Appreciate 2
rcracin1250.50
vreihen1619086.50