BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board When your body reminds you that you're in your 50's...

04-25-2022, 10:19 AM   #23
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Been stretching before and after runs and before lifting (dumbbells and weight-vest). And I've shortened my resistance training to more often 35 minute sessions than 60 minute sessions. And so far this season have avoided 1/2 marathon and full marathon length runs - been reading those long runs might be damaging to arteries etcetera.

The thing that I've found recently that really minimizes tightness and aches is hanging out on the floor. I watch television, type, read while sitting or lying on the floor. At first I would be tight and sore when getting up now not nearly as achey when getting up.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 10:29 AM   #24
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
LMAO - I am 52 - never broke a bone in my body, never spent a night in the hospital - hell never had a stich in my body.

But a few weeks ago I went for my first cortisone shot for my back. I have a genetically small "nerve wire loom" on my C7 and that combined with a slightly compressed disk is tickling my nerve causing back pain and numb/aching left arm. Will wind up being carved on for it eventually, but it depends on how long this shot last.

Getting old - not a great thing, but beats the alternative. #oldmanproblems
      04-25-2022, 11:04 AM   #25
Jacob99
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 45E, Toyota Highlander

I'm 41 and I like to say I have to workout just to stay fat. I use Zwift which is an app you use with a smart trainer for your bike. It's a real bike, but the smart trainer makes it stationary. I went with this instead of the Peloton because I can take my bike off the trainer and go riding. Keeps my legs strong. I've got bad shoulders though, so if you have some tips for that, hit me up!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 11:21 AM   #26
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

I should've added to my post above that I do 10 to 15 minutes of stretching after an exercise session. Very important to stretch after, as we all know
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2022, 01:31 PM   #27
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob99 View Post
I'm 41 and I like to say I have to workout just to stay fat. I use Zwift which is an app you use with a smart trainer for your bike. It's a real bike, but the smart trainer makes it stationary. I went with this instead of the Peloton because I can take my bike off the trainer and go riding. Keeps my legs strong. I've got bad shoulders though, so if you have some tips for that, hit me up!
I don't understand why people buy Pelotons when you can do like you and put a bike on a stationary trainer. It feels and sounds so so much better with a nice chain and crank and the whirl of the trainer.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 01:36 PM   #28
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I don't have a Peloton but I imagine it's like playing a video game while exercising.
      04-25-2022, 01:44 PM   #29
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSII View Post
The same reason people buy treadmills rather than go outside and run.
but the bike trainer being described above can be used inside and then the bike taken outside.
I kind of understand a treadmill but a Peloton seems almost cumbersome and confining.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 01:45 PM   #30
BMW and me
Private
Rep
Drives: X6

I am little over 60, never thought that one sentence did hear many years ago will apply to me, it was that. If you above certain age and you wake up morning , don't feel any pain then you dead.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 01:51 PM   #31
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caravaggio View Post
but the bike trainer being described above can be used inside and then the bike taken outside.
I kind of understand a treadmill but a Peloton seems almost cumbersome and confining.
I have a treadmill for the nights I can't walk, like if it's raining or something, but other than that I don't use it. Much more enjoyable to go out in the fresh night air.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 01:53 PM   #32
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF. E70

Long time soccer and rugby player up until my mid 40's.
Weight trained regularly until recently.
Just turned 60 and only do stretching exercises now, but I swear by Glucosamine and Chondroitin to keep the joints lubricated. Works for me.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 1
KK22137.50
      04-25-2022, 02:09 PM   #33
aguywalksintoabar
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I haven't bothered to run since I started rebounding 2 years ago. It's easier on the joints and more efficient than running. A 10 minute rebounding session is equivalent to a 25 minute run. So it's more cardio. When I went for a walk I felt that I could keep going and after 2 hours I was still good! Plus it is whole heartedly endorsed by NASA. The moment you're in the air.. that's every single cell in your body having a workout. Definitely worth considering if you don't want to feel too old. Best cardio I ever discovered. Invested in a professional rebounder. No noisy metal springs!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 02:13 PM   #34
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf the Surf View Post
I also take Glucosamine daily and I think it helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
Glucosamine and Chondroitin to keep the joints lubricated.
I had a torn meniscus several years ago (tore it strength training, how ironic) but I don't like surgery so I just learned to live with it. A few years after, I started taking Glucosamine daily and a few years ago added 20mg CBD. I'm not saying that it's "fixed" but I no longer have any pain unless I really overdo it.

I no longer do any strength training where it's going to stress my knees. I limit it to upper body and hips, thighs, etc. I do a lot of low-impact cardio (elliptical) though to keep the heart healthy.

Rarely a day goes by when something is not hurting, but it's all manageable now. I try to stretch often.

I miss Yoga, that was great stuff. Covid lockdowns killed that for me (and everyone else) but I may be able to start again soon. Great for balance too, which us old folks need so that we don't fall over and break a hip.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 2
      04-25-2022, 02:30 PM   #35
nolanc9
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Pilates
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 02:57 PM   #36
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Posture and body mechanics are real important. Worth paying a physical therapist to school you (also on how to lift). And the stretching, as many others have noted.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 02:59 PM   #37
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
I couldn't help but notice NO ONE even mentioned the importance of the food you eat.
I eat a pretty solid, complete and healthy diet.

I've been working out for over 3 decades. Never heard of anything you eat helping to prevent joint problems. I mean I've heard of a few supplements that I do have and take like fish oil, chondrointon, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2022, 03:09 PM   #38
KK22
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi A8 L 60 TFSI Quattro

Quote:
I couldn't help but notice NO ONE even mentioned the importance of the food you eat.
Fitness is 80% diet and 20% exercise for me. Intermittent fasting (16:8) for 7 years now. OMAD for bad days when I'm not moving much, but I break the rules every so often now that I know how it works. It really helps weight management, but cardiovascular fitness can only be gained through aerobic exercise.

I love to eat elaborate meals and I enjoy wine and whisk(e)y. If I didn't fast, I'd likely weigh 40 lbs more. I've also started to eat more veg and restarted to break my fast with a kale shake, something I used to do and stopped during lockdowns since I started eating with the kids. Carbs are OK before a heavy cardio day, but I tend to avoid them.

I try to buy and cook from scratch as much as possible but my favorite processed items are Black coffee (Peets Major Dickinson), unsalted mixed nuts from Costco, KETO granola from Costco, Halo top ice cream, Fairlife protein shakes, Tony's Dark chocolate with seasalt and almonds. Any other low carb goodies on anyones list?
      04-25-2022, 04:35 PM   #39
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I'll be 48 in a couple of weeks. I play competitive volleyball with current and ex-college VB players. VB is my jam and passion even though I really didn't take it seriously until my mid 30s. Over the past 5 years or so, I've noticed my age more and more.

I've rolled my ankles a number of times throughout the years, largely due to VB where I landed on people's feet. When you damage your ankles that much, they roll harder and further. Three years ago I rolled my ankle so bad that it led to breaking of my left foot 5th metatarsal. That injury required pinning the bone, no weight for over a month (wore an I-walk), and about 3 months of recovery before I could play VB again. 1.5 years later, I did the same damn to my right foot!

Two weeks ago I got a Grade 2 calf strain from a simple bunny hop float serve I've done a million times. There's no rhyme or reason to this stuff as you age. You're just susceptible to more injury as you get older, especially if you're playing/working hard. You fall harder the older you get. I've come to accept it.

Over the past 1.5 years or so, I started intermittent fasting and eating better. What the fasting did for me is make me very aware of having a full stomach. I don't eat near as much now in a sitting. I'm 6' 1" and went from ~185lbs to lower 170s. I feel so much better. About 3 months ago I started doing "Knees over toes" exercises and that has had a MASSIVE positive impact in my flexibility, explosiveness, vertical leap, and stability. Before doing those exercises, I was starting to feel quite locked up and unbalanced.

I also work out with very light weight and bands, maybe once or so a week. It's really helped keeping everything pulled together and toned.

I'll never let age be an excuse. It's an easy cop out for many. It is what you make of it. It definitely takes way more work than it did in the past though.
      04-25-2022, 05:53 PM   #40
KK22
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi A8 L 60 TFSI Quattro

Gonna try that knees over toes thing. Looks promising, thanks for the tip.
      04-25-2022, 10:51 PM   #41
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK22 View Post
Gonna try that knees over toes thing. Looks promising, thanks for the tip.
Just start light and easy. An adjustable wooden slant board is key.

Another thing that has made a big difference too, and is part of Knees over Toes, is walking backwards. Yeah, it sounds silly. It builds great balance and strength too. I'll go to the local HS track and walk the curves forwards and then walk the straights backwards. Kids think I'm crazy LOL. I also walk my neighborhood hill backwards which is like pulling a slight weight.
Appreciate 1
KK22137.50
      04-25-2022, 11:18 PM   #42
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
I eat a pretty solid, complete and healthy diet.

I've been working out for over 3 decades. Never heard of anything you eat helping to prevent joint problems. I mean I've heard of a few supplements that I do have and take like fish oil, chondrointon, etc.
Its been scientifically proven that cheeseburgers, pizza, and all you can eat BBQ buffet prevent joint damage. Essentially you become so fat and lazy you never leave the sofa, thus avoiding any potential joint injuries.
Appreciate 3
Esteban50985.00
vreihen1619086.50
TSII1978.50
      04-26-2022, 12:22 AM   #43
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Its been scientifically proven that cheeseburgers, pizza, and all you can eat BBQ buffet prevent joint damage. Essentially you become so fat and lazy you never leave the sofa, thus avoiding any potential joint injuries.
Hahaha!!!! That was hilarious.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11472.00