BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) BMW X1 u11 PHEV power after battery discharge

05-08-2024, 09:35 AM   #1
Hunterix
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 118i

BMW X1 u11 PHEV power after battery discharge

Hi guys, hope you are doing well.
I have 2 questions:
1. How long will I be able to enjoy the full dynamics/power in sport mode after full battery depleting? I know that the battery has some buffer size which is still being used to help ICE, but that buffer amount is also limited and (i guess) can run out as well...
2. What is the difference between enabled "Maintain battery charge" and just a Sport mode from prospective of dynamic performance? Is it noticeable while an active driving?
Thank you for your answers!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2024, 10:08 AM   #2
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Lots of threads on this so give the forum a search.

In short 'maintain Battery Charge' will do that hold the battery at that level which might mean less battery / EV driving and more ICE fired up much more often especially on a motorway.

Sport gives you ICE and EV joined, but the battery will run out eventually and the car does become more sluggish and slower to react more like driving an ICE car with a lower powered engine. At this point the car isn't the best at times and occasionally it uses EV and sometimes only ICE so makes it a touch more to judge things.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 11:32 AM   #3
Lantirn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E87 conv, F20, Inbound U11

Anyone knows how much time it takes to fully charge battery in sport mode? know this is not supposed how to work, but just asking
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 12:51 PM   #4
U11sirgawain
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: bmw x1 3.0e u11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantirn View Post
Anyone knows how much time it takes to fully charge battery in sport mode? know this is not supposed how to work, but just asking
An eternity.
Battery only gets charged if car is moving (trailed rear axle).
If you are in Sport mode battery will only charge (other than braking) if the electronics are not satisfied with battery level (aprox 5%) and will keep around that percentage.
If battery level is above 5% ....you will only marginally recharge by regenerating (downslopes, braking...)
Battery is not intended ti be recharged with the ICE. You can just make the car to keep current battery level.
      05-09-2024, 03:18 PM   #5
Lantirn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by U11sirgawain View Post
An eternity.
Battery only gets charged if car is moving (trailed rear axle).
If you are in Sport mode battery will only charge (other than braking) if the electronics are not satisfied with battery level (aprox 5%) and will keep around that percentage.
If battery level is above 5% ....you will only marginally recharge by regenerating (downslopes, braking...)
Battery is not intended ti be recharged with the ICE. You can just make the car to keep current battery level.
So, there is no way to fully charge the car when moving by a specific selection/configuration on the electronics I guess...
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 01:47 AM   #6
Fish Fingers
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 30e M Sport

From my experience with my wife's 30e, it is designed to be charged via lead and not so much with regen / recuperation.

That may add a small amount of charge, or maintain charge (in maintain battery mode) - but not like an EV, where it tries to charge the battery as much as possible via regen.

The bottom line is, it only takes us 2 hours to fully charge at home - so we have just got used to plugging it in every time we get home.
Appreciate 3
      05-10-2024, 01:50 AM   #7
mvmv
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 30e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantirn View Post
So, there is no way to fully charge the car when moving by a specific selection/configuration on the electronics I guess...
Actually I found one trick to do it, it's quite stressful but it works.

As said by others, when the battery is totally empty if you activate "Maintain battery charge" (no need to be in sport mode, I did this in personal mode) the car uses extra fuel to increase battery charge up to 7-8 Km of available EV range, then it keeps the level.
At this point if you deactivate the Maintain battery and reactivate it the car restarts the process of using fuel to "recharge" another couple of km of EV range, then it keeps the level again. If you go on doing this deactivate/activate (and you don't get crazy) you can charge up to whatever level.
I did this just for curiosity a couple of times in the motorway and it works, consider that it takes some km of drive to accumulate the famous 1-2 km of extra EV charge, so I don't know how this works for example in city driving. In 50 Km of motorway at constant speed I was able to recharge battery from 50% to 75%, obviously at expense of extra fuel consumption
Appreciate 5
      05-10-2024, 06:22 AM   #8
U11sirgawain
Private First Class
Spain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmv View Post

As said by others, when the battery is totally empty if you activate "Maintain battery charge" (no need to be in sport mode, I did this in personal mode) the car uses extra fuel to increase battery charge up to 7-8 Km of available EV range, then it keeps the level.
At this point if you deactivate the Maintain battery and reactivate it the car restarts the process of using fuel to "recharge" another couple of km of EV range, then it keeps the level again. If you go on doing this deactivate/activate (and you don't get crazy) you can charge up to whatever level.
I did this just for curiosity a couple of times in the motorway and it works, consider that it takes some km of drive to accumulate the famous 1-2 km of extra EV charge, so I don't know how this works for example in city driving. In 50 Km of motorway at constant speed I was able to recharge battery from 50% to 75%, obviously at expense of extra fuel consumption
Thanks for the trick! While charging by way of increasing load on ICE is way inefficient, this undocumented trick can be handy if you have a reduced emissions area in your route and forgot to save enough battery for it. (Navigator does it for you if you have selected a destination)
      05-10-2024, 08:06 AM   #9
Fish Fingers
Private
Rep

Quote:

Useful to know thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 08:16 AM   #10
Lantirn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

That was the answer I was looking for! Thanks!

Quote:
obviously at expense of extra fuel consumption
I am not sure if this is different than leaving the car doing its own. I mean either way if the battery is empty there are some times of recharging to maintain minimum levels and other times of using that electric engine. If you foresee that you have some traffic at the end of your trip the energy saved will be worth much instead of using some of that spare on its own in the highway. And highway btw is the best time to do that as the consumption is lower than city driving!

Last edited by Lantirn; 05-10-2024 at 08:27 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2024, 05:00 AM   #11
Hunterix
Registered
Rep

Guys, does somebody know dynamic characteristics of the car in "Maintain battery charge" mode compatible to to Sport mode ?
0-100, 0-200, etc...
Or, it's the same?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 11:26 AM   #12
Fish Fingers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterix View Post
Guys, does somebody know dynamic characteristics of the car in "Maintain battery charge" mode compatible to to Sport mode ?
0-100, 0-200, etc...
Or, it's the same?
Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but there is a YT video (in Spanish) which compares fully charged v nil charge for a 30e.

0-100 kph. 5.67s v 5.78s

There are other figures on there too, but it's surprisingly close.
Appreciate 1
      05-14-2024, 12:23 PM   #13
Hunterix
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Fingers View Post
Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but there is a YT video (in Spanish) which compares fully charged v nil charge for a 30e.

0-100 kph. 5.67s v 5.78s

There are other figures on there too, but it's surprisingly close.
Yes, I know that video, but thank you anyway
I'm rather wondering if there is a difference in performance with tuned on "Battery maintain mode" and turned off ?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 03:26 PM   #14
U11sirgawain
Private First Class
Spain
Rep

Quote:
0-100, 0-200, etc...
Or, it's the same?
I guess Sport mode will allow you to keep BOTH engines delivering full power (300+HP combined) more time than "Mantain battery". On "Mantain battery, the electric rear engine willl start charging bat (by dragging) way sooner.

I am just guessing
      05-15-2024, 08:10 AM   #15
Hunterix
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by U11sirgawain View Post
I guess Sport mode will allow you to keep BOTH engines delivering full power (300+HP combined) more time than "Mantain battery". On "Mantain battery, the electric rear engine willl start charging bat (by dragging) way sooner.

I am just guessing
But do you feel any difference when you are in "Maintain battery mode" ON and OFF?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2024, 10:40 AM   #16
U11sirgawain
Private First Class
Spain
Rep

My daily driving is just electric.
I only use ICE on long road trips, where I try to outsmart the built in navigation, so I let the car do the management.....till electric range is about 30km. At this point I do select "keep battery". I NEVER felt any lack of power. If I demand instantaneous power, the electric engine fully supports the ICE. Never felt underpowered or lacking punch.

Electric range can decrease a bit...but once you are on a steady regime, it recharges a bit recovering battery level to about 30km range
Is only when I am about 25 to 30 Km to.destination when I deselect "keep battery", so I arrive having maximized the battery charge use, ready to plug at destination.
      05-15-2024, 10:49 AM   #17
U11sirgawain
Private First Class
Spain
Rep

Quote:
But do you feel any difference when you are in "Maintain battery mode" ON and OFF?
Short answer summarising above: NO in my driving.