BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

05-10-2024, 10:49 AM   #23
URmyArtemis
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by s58 View Post
My opinion would be to go aftermarket at this point.

I took delivery of my g80 at the end of 2022, and by the time of the break-in service I noticed my exhaust tips from the factory were not all completely in alignment. The service rep agreed, and said they could replace the muffler.

I asked if they could replace the whole exhaust, since it's one unit after the cat that includes the muffler. The service rep said they can't replace the whole unit, since it's so large it comes in pieces from Germany. The one from the factory on the car is one piece, but a replacement would be several pieces for shipping and bolted together, requiring cutting of the original before installation.

I decided to not go through with the replacement because the stock unit would be cut up, and rather just live with the slight mis-alignment.

So basically, this is all to say they will likely not be able to replace the broken piece with a like-for-like replacement.
Thank you so much for your info! I am going with a midpipe aftermarket change
Appreciate 1
s58549.50
      05-10-2024, 10:56 AM   #24
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by s58 View Post
My opinion would be to go aftermarket at this point.

I took delivery of my g80 at the end of 2022, and by the time of the break-in service I noticed my exhaust tips from the factory were not all completely in alignment. The service rep agreed, and said they could replace the muffler.

I asked if they could replace the whole exhaust, since it's one unit after the cat that includes the muffler. The service rep said they can't replace the whole unit, since it's so large it comes in pieces from Germany. The one from the factory on the car is one piece, but a replacement would be several pieces for shipping and bolted together, requiring cutting of the original before installation.

I decided to not go through with the replacement because the stock unit would be cut up, and rather just live with the slight mis-alignment.

So basically, this is all to say they will likely not be able to replace the broken piece with a like-for-like replacement.
that is correct that the only way to get a single-piece system is off the factory floor on a new car. Cutting and clamping is a complete non-issue though, that is BMW's official procedure. If you buy a brand new $140K M4 CSL with the titanium rear muffler, guess what you get? The exact same cut at the dimples and clamps to hold it together. There's no reason for you to have to look at misaligned tips on your car, take them up on the replacement offer.
Appreciate 1
s58549.50
      05-12-2024, 08:41 AM   #25
jetblackcoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i 6MT

Get a resonated MAD midpipe and take the opportunity to get a valve controller. It’ll keep the sound clean but deeper/louder when you want it by opening the valves. The whole purchase (MAD plus SST controller) is around 1k
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2024, 07:21 PM   #26
G-Ram
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

You got off lucky! I dd the same thing with my F82.
Scraped the front lip, damaged the oil cooler. From there it hit the lower steering arm, and smacked the bottom of the lower turbo hard enough, to crack the manifolds on both.
From there it whacked the lower cat, tore the mid pipe, worked its way back and gouged the fuel tank, before deciding it had done enough.

Might wanna put that on a hoist and have a closer inspection.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2024, 07:55 PM   #27
URmyArtemis
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Ram View Post
You got off lucky! I dd the same thing with my F82.
Scraped the front lip, damaged the oil cooler. From there it hit the lower steering arm, and smacked the bottom of the lower turbo hard enough, to crack the manifolds on both.
From there it whacked the lower cat, tore the mid pipe, worked its way back and gouged the fuel tank, before deciding it had done enough.

Might wanna put that on a hoist and have a closer inspection.
That is a lot of damages...
Appreciate 0