BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Michigan teen kills friend in 105 mph crash

08-31-2024, 06:30 AM   #23
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

The problem is trying to place blame on others... A particular and interesting issue among a group of people who just cannot accept laying fault with the person commiting the act!

An age old problem, should we go back to the days of a kid taking the horse out of the barn for a quick run? Youth... Many forego the thought of consequence! But hey, must be someone else that caused this, why don't we go after the grandparents too? How about teachers (if any) and others we may identify as being Influencing to their lives! Studies had been done some time ago to disprove the old TV shows and even video games having causation in formulating young brains and those trying to lay blame on them for shaping behavior! It's ridiculous to blame the parent for the kids brain, and foot... But that's what our litigious society is all about today! Maybe the automobile manufacturer should be sued for creating the device that allowed the kid to go so fast! How do they get a buy on this? Speed limiting technology is clearly available today! Especially the ability to identify roads capable of certain speeds, etc. So when casting that blame vision at others, it should be a wide view, not narrowly and selectively used because the need for vengeance!

Who here hasn't drive their M anything like they stole it!?!? If not, then why did you buy the performance? And who then isn't a hypocrite when saying anything about anybody else SPEEDING with their vehicle! The kid did it, and that's the end of it!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2024, 07:04 AM   #24
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
The problem is trying to place blame on others... A particular and interesting issue among a group of people who just cannot accept laying fault with the person commiting the act!

An age old problem, should we go back to the days of a kid taking the horse out of the barn for a quick run? Youth... Many forego the thought of consequence! But hey, must be someone else that caused this, why don't we go after the grandparents too? How about teachers (if any) and others we may identify as being Influencing to their lives! Studies had been done some time ago to disprove the old TV shows and even video games having causation in formulating young brains and those trying to lay blame on them for shaping behavior! It's ridiculous to blame the parent for the kids brain, and foot... But that's what our litigious society is all about today! Maybe the automobile manufacturer should be sued for creating the device that allowed the kid to go so fast! How do they get a buy on this? Speed limiting technology is clearly available today! Especially the ability to identify roads capable of certain speeds, etc. So when casting that blame vision at others, it should be a wide view, not narrowly and selectively used because the need for vengeance!

Who here hasn't drive their M anything like they stole it!?!? If not, then why did you buy the performance? And who then isn't a hypocrite when saying anything about anybody else SPEEDING with their vehicle! The kid did it, and that's the end of it!
Yes, the kid did it. I don't think anyone that has commented is giving that idiot a pass. Where we're having problems is the mother is 100% complicit in the end result. She knew her son has had problems with being reckless while driving. Yet, she still gave him full access to a vehicle she owns. She could have locked away the keys so he wouldn't have access to the car. She could have reported the car stolen to the police. There were things she could have done but didn't do.

As to being young and dumb. Yes, I admit I did some stupid things when young. But I didn't do what this idiot did. And as to using the performance of the vehicle to have fun, yes, I've done that too. But I had the judgement both when I was young and now not to do triple digit speeds in a 25 MPH zone which the idiot that is the subject of this thread did. This tells me he was being a total douche that didn't give a crap about anyone blasting through most probably a residential area at 100+ MPH. I think and hope none of us have not done something that stupid.
Appreciate 1
RickFLM411511.00
      09-02-2024, 11:53 AM   #25
eugenebmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: G15 M850i G82 M4, G22 M440

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post

I only drive my M cars like they stole it on track only In the city I follow to the speed limit 99% of the time. There is no point to race with anyone in front of the traffic lights.
Appreciate 2
vreihen1619076.50
Maynard4087.50
      09-02-2024, 05:42 PM   #26
NBTT
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 40i

Delt with the same thing years back. Very confident and capable young driver. Very good kid in every way but understanding not all drivers as good as him. Nothing, nothing, nothing like these excessive speeds. The solution was to sign up and participate in the driving schools and track days. Turned out to be great family weekend time. My wife is pretty cool, she enjoyed the time at the track as well. Found a safer way to enjoy the driving experience. Driving the Sebring Florida course was conditioned on not getting any tickets. Worked well for us

These families are ruined forever. Manslaughter charges, bankruptcy and at some point even these idiots will feel the guilt. Parents might be prosecuted as well.

Last edited by NBTT; 09-02-2024 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: Add more info
Appreciate 2
vreihen1619076.50
eugenebmw1954.00