BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Beep, Beep you're speeding!

07-10-2024, 06:33 PM   #89
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C - BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
And so it begins!
Speed Limiters Now Mandatory in All New EU Cars
Jul 08, 2024
Name:  BMW_ISA.png
Views: 305
Size:  102.6 KB
(source: here)
      07-10-2024, 07:21 PM   #90
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
"the visual and acoustic warning is active again on the next journey."
seems like some form of Chinese water torture. How long till it is permanent feature? If there is not a push back you can bet this will get more intrusive. ISA will make ASS seem like the good old days.
Guess we will soon see if the Europeans have any balls left?
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2024, 05:01 AM   #91
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
SLOW & STEADY All cars to be fitted with speed-limiting AI tech thanks to new EU rules – but there is an easy loophole
Jul 14 2024
The regulations mean that different levels of enforcement will apply in different parts of the UK.
ISAs make use of AI, GPS data and even onboard cameras to assess your speed in real time as you drive along.
First of all, informative ISAs only result in a warning message and sound to alert the driver that they are breaking the limit.
One level up from that is the supportive ISA, which works by increasing the upward force on the accelerator pedal to try and make it harder for drivers to speed up.
Finally, intervening ISAs are the most active, with the system actually slowing the vehicle down, whether the driver wants it to or not, until it goes back under the limit.
Officials have emphasised that, for safety, this would be achieved by temporarily shutting off part or all of the engine and will not result in a sudden application of the brakes.
The law is now in force in all EU member states - but there is a loophole for Brits.
The UK has opted out of the law under the post-Brexit agreement with the bloc, meaning that ISAs will not be legally required on British roads.
https://www.the-sun.com/motors/11921...y-eu-loophole/

So the easy work around is Brexit?
Appreciate 2
      08-19-2024, 05:11 PM   #92
oasis
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series

Well looks like i'm never buying a car made after 2024
Appreciate 2
Honda306.00
NickyC18944.50
      08-21-2024, 12:20 AM   #93
Davil
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 21 Vantage, 18 Vantage, 00 WRX

Garage List
Very good article.

This is insane. Very dangerous too in big countries like Australia and US that have lots of different types of roads. I detest the EU. Forever telling people what to do and what to think.

“From July this year, the European Union has introduced one of the most controversial laws in automotive history, which it has conveniently named "Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA)".
The system is designed to 'help' drivers comply with local speed limits by constantly monitoring the vehicle's speed against what the vehicle determines to be the road's posted speed limit, either using its camera system to read road signs or using GPS data.
If the vehicle goes over the speed limit (even by 1km/h) for just a few seconds, the vehicle then has to warn the driver to reduce speed via:
Audible signal, such as constant beeping or a voice,
Flashing lights and/or alert on the dashboard,
Automatic reduction in engine power,
A hardening or vibration of the accelerator pedal”

https://apple.news/AXEkuC9SFQJ6bUezZn-q54A
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2024, 09:37 AM   #94
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
"the visual and acoustic warning is active again on the next journey."
seems like some form of Chinese water torture. How long till it is permanent feature? If there is not a push back you can bet this will get more intrusive. ISA will make ASS seem like the good old days.
Guess we will soon see if the Europeans have any balls left?
The biggest issue here is having to use voice commands (which are recorded) to deactivate it. They want you to basically in your own words, confirm you want to break the law.

It's sneaky.
As long 3-pedals are an option, I will exercise my right to suffer the handicap and indignity of slower shifts and reaction times.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2024, 09:52 AM   #95
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldenz View Post
The pussification of CA continues. Also, everyone sucks at driving.
Everyone sucks at driving but IMO California drivers are the least sucky in the country. You haven’t seen bad drivers until you go to Texas. It’s legitimately scary. In Tennessee, where I live, it’s got to be a close second. No drivers ed. Is required here and it really shows. They all get an F if I’m grading lol
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2024, 11:23 AM   #96
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
Everyone sucks at driving but IMO California drivers are the least sucky in the country. You haven’t seen bad drivers until you go to Texas. It’s legitimately scary. In Tennessee, where I live, it’s got to be a close second. No drivers ed. Is required here and it really shows. They all get an F if I’m grading lol
a large part of this is virtually no enforcement of traffic laws IMO, Texas is just "normal" IME...as in no enforcement and everyone breaking the law.
      08-31-2024, 10:55 AM   #97
Ugly Kar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 to C43 Cab to G42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
a large part of this is virtually no enforcement of traffic laws IMO, Texas is just "normal" IME...as in no enforcement and everyone breaking the law.
I guess it shouldn't surprise me you're spreading misinformation. Having spending considerable time living in both TX and CA I knew for a fact Texas would be near the top in the linked study without needing a study, but based on my own experience. I've driven all over CA and rarely see the CHP radaring, and in doing the same in TX seeing the TX DPS radaring all the time. And I should say lidar and the most sophisticated methods because they are very serious.

I've sped all over CA and only once got pulled over and only got a verbal warning, not even written. I've gotten multiple tickets in TX and never a chance of even getting written warning. There's about a 98% chance you're getting a ticket in TX unless you're a hot blonde in tight shorts. Texas is notorious for having some of the worst speed traps in the country.

I've always believed SC, VA and WI in being the worst though, which correlates with this list other than WI. But ask IL resident about driving from Chicago to Milwaukee. No place in the country has more cops per mile. I got a ticket there when a cop a mile behind said I was going 70 in a 65 when he said he wasn't gaining on me. No radar, no vascar no nothing other than he wasn't gaining on me going 70. I think WI should be higher and CA lower as well as TX being in the top 10.

I definitely know you don't speed in SC and VA also, but only once drove in Delaware for a short distance. But I can assure you, other than the real hardcore states, TX is near the top. Out in west TX where there's nothing but desert, jackrabbits and miles of empty pavement is the exception, not the rule.
https://247wallst.com/cars-and-drive...t-speed-traps/
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2024, 01:38 PM   #98
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Kar View Post
I guess it shouldn't surprise me you're spreading misinformation. Having spending considerable time living in both TX and CA I knew for a fact Texas would be near the top in the linked study without needing a study, but based on my own experience. I've driven all over CA and rarely see the CHP radaring, and in doing the same in TX seeing the TX DPS radaring all the time. And I should say lidar and the most sophisticated methods because they are very serious.

I've sped all over CA and only once got pulled over and only got a verbal warning, not even written. I've gotten multiple tickets in TX and never a chance of even getting written warning. There's about a 98% chance you're getting a ticket in TX unless you're a hot blonde in tight shorts. Texas is notorious for having some of the worst speed traps in the country.

I've always believed SC, VA and WI in being the worst though, which correlates with this list other than WI. But ask IL resident about driving from Chicago to Milwaukee. No place in the country has more cops per mile. I got a ticket there when a cop a mile behind said I was going 70 in a 65 when he said he wasn't gaining on me. No radar, no vascar no nothing other than he wasn't gaining on me going 70. I think WI should be higher and CA lower as well as TX being in the top 10.

I definitely know you don't speed in SC and VA also, but only once drove in Delaware for a short distance. But I can assure you, other than the real hardcore states, TX is near the top. Out in west TX where there's nothing but desert, jackrabbits and miles of empty pavement is the exception, not the rule.
https://247wallst.com/cars-and-drive...t-speed-traps/
Im in Texas every 3 months. Never seen a speed trap in 10 years. Hell, I usually see the cops speeding too.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2024, 02:02 PM   #99
440i6MT
Brother
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i, soon E60 M5 Manual

Weak men allow more control over others to be implemented.
To hell with speed limits. Teach people proper driver education.

Hey, it's all just realpolitik 101
Appreciate 5
NickyC18944.50
lakefront593.00
Efthreeoh18659.50
Joachim446.50
      09-02-2024, 02:33 PM   #100
Wheelwright
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i (6MT fakerich edition)

I wonder how those new Euro laws deal with overtaking where you need max power for few seconds to safely perform the manouver. I wouldn't want the system to suddenly cut my power just as a 40-ton Scania is bearing down on me.
Appreciate 2
440i6MT810.00
Joachim446.50
      09-03-2024, 08:17 AM   #101
Leucosticte
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi E92 6mt swap

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440i6MT View Post
To hell with speed limits. Teach people proper driver education.
It's easier to just limit speed instead of teaching proper driver's ed unfortunately.
Appreciate 2
Joachim446.50
      09-03-2024, 09:09 AM   #102
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leucosticte View Post
It's easier to just limit speed instead of teaching proper driver's ed unfortunately.
Speed limits and obeying them is really not the issue. Drivers Ed teaches no one about car placement in traffic and how to read and evaluate the actions of other motorists.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2024, 09:25 AM   #103
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leucosticte View Post
Because training requires going back and (recurrent) retraining...and periodic testing. In a perfect world, sure, but people don't want to drive, they want to play with phones, even a majority of the people on this site. No one wants to pay for this, they'd rather it was "designed out".

And even still, people are going to do the things (speeding, traffic laws) they can get away with. So there still has to be enforcement.
      09-03-2024, 03:02 PM   #104
Dégoûté
Fun police
Rep
Drives: Cars

It’s tyranny; but the alternative is dying in traffic.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2024, 03:13 PM   #105
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 440i6MT View Post
Amen.

Can you share what you're doing to fight this so we can join you?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2024, 04:38 AM   #106
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dégoûté View Post
It’s tyranny; but the alternative is dying in traffic.
I'll take my chances, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2024, 10:43 AM   #107
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Amen.

Can you share what you're doing to fight this so we can join you?
1000 push-ups by 400am, and then stare at a mirror and say "intestinal fortitude" until the sun is done rising.
Appreciate 1
lakefront593.00