BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Motor Trend said "Atrocious ride quality... shock absorbers were filled with cement"?

09-04-2024, 02:20 PM   #23
FZI89
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW iX1, U11

Garage List
It’s crazy how many differing opinions there are on this. Makes me wonder if it’s just down to personal taste or if manufacturing is out of whack and causing inconsistent build quality.

I have the iX1, M Sport trim, and on 20”.

In my case, 9/10 times the suspension gives me zero issues. Yes, it’s stiff. But that’s definitely expected with passive suspension and M Sport trim. It’s definitely nothing to cause a scene over.

1/10 times when in Sport mode and boost is activated, I get the minor torque steer. But again, nothing unexpected from a front wheel biased car.

I think people driving a BMW on 20” wheels and have the M Sport trim should not be expecting a traditionally comfortable ride. These specs are sporty, and sporty specs will lean towards stiffness over bounciness.
If comfort is the priority, go for the X-line trim and 17/18” wheels.
Appreciate 3
      09-04-2024, 03:52 PM   #24
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I'm a former road course track racer and have modified most of my vehicles (full lowered suspension, downpipes, tunes, etc) and my X1 M35i is much bouncier/crashier/twitchier than any of those cars by a mile. It is definitely not my imagination. I'm chalking it up to poor shock valving for this car's geometry and size. On The Mini JC Motorworks, which I've driven, (which this car is almost a carbon copy of, outside of looks and tech) it is actually a bit more compliant...still stiff but not as crashy as this car. Not to mention all the UI system bugs and awful transmission implementation on short city drives. It is a strange conundrum after 7 BMWs. If the buyback goes through I'm going X3 or X5.
      09-04-2024, 06:47 PM   #25
mavericksid
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreDirtyFive View Post
I'm a former road course track racer and have modified most of my vehicles (full lowered suspension, downpipes, tunes, etc) and my X1 M35i is much bouncier/crashier/twitchier than any of those cars by a mile. It is definitely not my imagination. I'm chalking it up to poor shock valving for this car's geometry and size. On The Mini JC Motorworks, which I've driven, (which this car is almost a carbon copy of, outside of looks and tech) it is actually a bit more compliant...still stiff but not as crashy as this car. Not to mention all the UI system bugs and awful transmission implementation on short city drives. It is a strange conundrum after 7 BMWs. If the buyback goes through I'm going X3 or X5.
I regret buying x1 everyday. As soon as it makes sense financially, I'll give this car to my spouse and get a new one.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2024, 10:09 PM   #26
Fish Fingers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 30e M Sport

I notice the review is for the XDrive 28i Msport.

They have made a review for the whole range based on this model alone.

I personally think there must be major differences between the ICE/PHEV/EV models.
Weight and weight distribution alone varies greatly and would make huge differences to how a chassis feels.
I wonder whether the heavier cars ride better?

I have read the review and don't recognise any of their issues based on my own experience of driving our 30e on UK roads.
My last BMW was an M2 and our X1 rides like a Bentley compared to that.

I have also read most other reviews and although some mention firm suspension (a good thing for me) none of them are like this review.

Also wondering if suspension is tuned differently by country / region?

Last edited by Fish Fingers; 09-04-2024 at 10:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
jhbodle147.50
      09-05-2024, 09:23 AM   #27
jsdh89j9ijkL
Rep
n/a
Drives:

The U11 Sport suspension isn't all that IME.

I managed to induce torque steer on a section of road that a F48 with Sports suspension does not.

The U11 was a 23d MHT the F48 a 25d, both xDrive.

There's a number of things I don't like about the U11's mechnical changes. The U11 has improvements on the interior finish, but they're just extra door seals and softer rubber here and there.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2024, 08:32 AM   #28
John27
John27
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 23i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Fingers View Post

I personally think there must be major differences between the ICE/PHEV/EV models.
Weight and weight distribution alone varies greatly and would make huge differences to how a chassis feels.

I have read the review and don't recognise any of their issues based on my own experience of driving our 30e on UK roads.

I have also read most other reviews and although some mention firm suspension (a good thing for me) none of them are like this review.

Must admit I too, am thinking there may be different suspension set-ups by region or whether those with PHEV or electric versions, with their heavier batteries, are having particular issues?

I read many reviews before buying my M Sport on 20" wheels (mild hybrid) and was expecting a really hard ride on the test drive, but that is simply not the case (in my view). I find the car really comfortable. Yes, it is firm (compared to other manufacturers), but based on previous BMW's I have driven, that is usually the case.

Yes, I have issues with the X1, but not the handling and ride which I think is one of its strongest benefits. Clearly that is not the view of everyone but I ensured during the lengthy test drive, that I was happy with the handling and ride given it is fundamental to enjoying the car (especially given the reviews). Obviously, others didn't have the same opportunity.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2024, 07:17 AM   #29
Tazz
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 M50d (2019), BMW X1 20i

I have an X1 20i tuned for au roads and its suspension is pretty good for nomal suspension as it comes close to the air suspension of both our x7 and e-class but does not waft the same way, as both of those feel like driving on clouds. While in the x1 you can feel the road surface quite well in comfort, but its never jarring or bouncy but still drives like its on rail (except when it understeers if you drive bad).

to explain road surface, you can feel like there is a patch or a pothole, but it doesnt send a massive vibration, its always litte vibration and well damped. The seats are also very comfy unless your too fat for the bolsters then they feel cramped according to my friends.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2024, 05:03 PM   #30
SnowCover
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 330i, '23 X1, '25 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John27 View Post
Must admit I too, am thinking there may be different suspension set-ups by region or whether those with PHEV or electric versions, with their heavier batteries, are having particular issues?

I read many reviews before buying my M Sport on 20" wheels (mild hybrid) and was expecting a really hard ride on the test drive, but that is simply not the case (in my view). I find the car really comfortable. Yes, it is firm (compared to other manufacturers), but based on previous BMW's I have driven, that is usually the case.

Yes, I have issues with the X1, but not the handling and ride which I think is one of its strongest benefits. Clearly that is not the view of everyone but I ensured during the lengthy test drive, that I was happy with the handling and ride given it is fundamental to enjoying the car (especially given the reviews). Obviously, others didn't have the same opportunity.
it's kind of interesting that the Autogefühl channel on YouTube apparently like the X1 23i with M Sport suspension while driving on the German Autobahn. If a German car guy used the word "flawless" to describe the M Sport suspension on the X1, it can't possibly be that bad, right? That guy has a lot of car reviews and I actually bought one of my previous cars(non-BMW) solely based on his review.

at 13:35 in the video, he was on the Autobahn and said: "An just gives me such a great control here on the German autobahn. Really nice. So a flawless suspension setup. So it's stiff enough, sporty enough, but at the same time, it's comfortable enough."

Last edited by SnowCover; 09-08-2024 at 02:10 AM..
Appreciate 1
John2730.00
      09-07-2024, 10:39 PM   #31
SnowCover
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Fingers View Post

I finally drove the new regular M Sport X2(U10) for the first time last week. It had a noticeably harsher ride on the same roads, compared to my 1-year-old X1. Since both have the same M suspension, I'm not why there's a difference in ride quality. Perhaps it's a new X2 with only about 20 miles when the saleswoman and I drove out of the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2024, 11:58 PM   #32
PedalFasterDummy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZI89 View Post
It’s crazy how many differing opinions there are on this. Makes me wonder if it’s just down to personal taste or if manufacturing is out of whack and causing inconsistent build quality.

I have the iX1, M Sport trim, and on 20”.

In my case, 9/10 times the suspension gives me zero issues. Yes, it’s stiff. But that’s definitely expected with passive suspension and M Sport trim. It’s definitely nothing to cause a scene over.

1/10 times when in Sport mode and boost is activated, I get the minor torque steer. But again, nothing unexpected from a front wheel biased car.

I think people driving a BMW on 20” wheels and have the M Sport trim should not be expecting a traditionally comfortable ride. These specs are sporty, and sporty specs will lean towards stiffness over bounciness.
If comfort is the priority, go for the X-line trim and 17/18” wheels.
Exactly this. I've worked in the car industry for a long time, the stuff people complain about is mind blowing. It's always the same people too. Forums are hilarious because it brings these people out of the wood work. This stuff happens more with premium products more too, it attacts complainers. I have a friend who owns a few bicycle shops, the stories he tells about the expensive bike buyers reads a lot like this forum.
Appreciate 1
SAS X121.00
      09-09-2024, 12:47 AM   #33
Fish Fingers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 30e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedalFasterDummy View Post
Exactly this. I've worked in the car industry for a long time, the stuff people complain about is mind blowing. It's always the same people too. Forums are hilarious because it brings these people out of the wood work. This stuff happens more with premium products more too, it attacts complainers. I have a friend who owns a few bicycle shops, the stories he tells about the expensive bike buyers reads a lot like this forum.
Very true.

Every car forum I have been on (over 20 years) has a lot of complaining. Some justified, some not.

Often people swearing never to buy another car from <car brand> and move over to <car brand>.

Having been on forums for many of the brands, there are always issues - and complaints.

If anyone thinks moving upmarket will reduce problems, I would strongly recommend they have a look at say a Ferrari forums. Those problems are often difficult to resolve and very expensive.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2024, 05:09 AM   #34
richiro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X1 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowCover View Post
it's kind of interesting that the Autogefühl channel on YouTube apparently like the X1 23i with M Sport suspension while driving on the German Autobahn. If a German car guy used the word "flawless" to describe the M Sport suspension on the X1, it can't possibly be that bad, right? That guy has a lot of car reviews and I actually bought one of my previous cars(non-BMW) solely based on his review.

at 13:35 in the video, he was on the Autobahn and said: "An just gives me such a great control here on the German autobahn. Really nice. So a flawless suspension setup. So it's stiff enough, sporty enough, but at the same time, it's comfortable enough."
As much as I appreciate his videos, the dude does lean in super super heavy when reviewing any BMW.

He also gets a lot of first looks at new models, so im guessing he's somewhat sponsored by them.

There isn't a bmw review that I can find recently, where he says anything real negative about them, mainly complains about Audi and Vw oddly enough.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2024, 06:08 AM   #35
SnowCover
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiro View Post
As much as I appreciate his videos, the dude does lean in super super heavy when reviewing any BMW.

He also gets a lot of first looks at new models, so im guessing he's somewhat sponsored by them.

There isn't a bmw review that I can find recently, where he says anything real negative about them, mainly complains about Audi and Vw oddly enough.
that's strange. I would have thought that he was sponsored by Porsche, based on the stuff he said in his Porsche review videos. He said the words "awesome" and "wow" so many times in his Porsche Macan videos, I almost wanted to buy one.

not mention that for medium and large sedans, he seemed to prefer Mercedes over BMWs.

Last edited by SnowCover; 09-09-2024 at 06:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2024, 06:52 PM   #36
PedalFasterDummy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiro View Post

Motortrend has a lot of history of giving good ratings (car of the year) to companies that spend a lot of advertising money with them. Maybe BMW doesn't buy ads?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2024, 09:34 PM   #37
richiro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X1 M35i

Quote:
that's strange. I would have thought that he was sponsored by Porsche, based on the stuff he said in his Porsche review videos. He said the words "awesome" and "wow" so many times in his Porsche Macan videos, I almost wanted to buy one.

not mention that for medium and large sedans, he seemed to prefer Mercedes over BMWs.
His review for the X1 was similar. He even does a side by side comparison to a Q3.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2024, 01:44 AM   #38
donnus
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 U11 xdrive x line 23D

I must admit that I have a problem with the harshness of this suspension...
Its a company car X-line trim and most people that drive it complain about how hard it is on the bumps. (here in Italy the roads are often full of holes / irregularities).
I come from an X3 and I never had problems with harshness.
Though everyone admits on the highway its very stable.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2024, 06:31 AM   #39
FZI89
Captain
Austria
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnus View Post
I must admit that I have a problem with the harshness of this suspension...
Its a company car X-line trim and most people that drive it complain about how hard it is on the bumps. (here in Italy the roads are often full of holes / irregularities).
I come from an X3 and I never had problems with harshness.
Though everyone admits on the highway its very stable.
The X3 has active adaptive suspension.
The X1 has passive adaptive suspension.

The X3 will always feel significantly better on the road.
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2024, 07:34 AM   #40
SnowCover
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The X3 has active adaptive suspension.
The X1 has passive adaptive suspension.

The X3 will always feel significantly better on the road.

yes, the X3(G01) will definitely have a more comfortable ride on bad road. Its M Sport active adaptive suspension always soaks up bumps and potholes better. The X3 is almost as comfortable as the Volvo XC60 that I once had.

on the other hand, my current X1 with M sport passive suspension always corners better and faster than the X3(G01). My stepmother has the X3 and I get to drive it frequently on the same roads. Its so much more fun when driving the X1 on winding roads at higher speeds. It probably also has something to do with the fact that the X1 is several hundred pounds lighter than the X3(G01).

No car is 100% perfect, at any price. There will always be compromises here and there. It really depends on how and where the owner intends to drive it.

Last edited by SnowCover; 09-11-2024 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 1
FZI89625.50
      09-11-2024, 10:17 AM   #41
FZI89
Captain
Austria
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
yes, the X3(G01) will definitely have a more comfortable ride on bad road. Its M Sport active adaptive suspension always soaks up bumps and potholes better. The X3 is almost as comfortable as the Volvo XC60 that I once had.

on the other hand, my current X1 with M sport passive suspension always corners better and faster than the X3(G01). My stepmother has the X3 and I get to drive it frequently on the same roads. Its so much more fun when driving the X1 on winding roads at higher speeds. It probably also has something to do with the fact that the X1 is several hundred pounds lighter than the X3(G01).

No car is 100% perfect, at any price. There will always be compromises here and there. It really depends on how and where the owner intends to drive it.
Agree!
Driving the X1 is like driving a go kart! It’s a lot of fun! Especially in corners
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2024, 11:44 AM   #42
SnowCover
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Agree!
Driving the X1 is like driving a go kart! It’s a lot of fun! Especially in corners
when I drive the X3(in any mode), I get a little seasick.

just to be fair, my friend's Macan is even better and more fun in the corners, but that thing costs almost US$30,000 more than my X1.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2024, 08:44 AM   #43
John27
John27
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 23i M Sport

Quote:
when I drive the X3(in any mode), I get a little seasick.
That's worrying. I was planning to order a replacement for my X1 early next year (only interested in ICE or mild-hybrid if pushed) and had the X3 as a front-runner. Clearly, I need to take it for a long test drive and check the handling and ride very carefully. Thanks for the tip.

Perhaps I now need to also consider more seriously alternatives like Audi Q5 or Lexus NX (but do prefer the look of the X3).
Appreciate 0