BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) E-Sim Refund - 2024 US X1

09-03-2024, 02:42 PM   #1
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 & 2024 BMW X1 M35i

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
E-Sim Refund - 2024 US X1

Hi All,

Just received this email today. Anyone else?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2024, 02:54 PM   #2
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Just spoke to them. They needed to escalate the case up to someone who will look at it next. I should hear back in 1-2 business days from someone to get info from me for a Chase Quickpay option (whatever that is).

Looks like BMW will refund $300 due to the fact that the e-sim option, which was a $300 option, has never worked.

I’ve seen it was always unavailable when trying to activate. I was never super put off because the only reason I ordered it was because someone on the forums said it would give me 5G download speed for things like software update. This seems not to be the case anyways anyways as updates are super slow and I’m almost sure they come through the paired phone. But this could be wrong.

Anyways, thought others may find this useful.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2024, 08:49 PM   #3
Cam330i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirmaher View Post
Just spoke to them. They needed to escalate the case up to someone who will look at it next. I should hear back in 1-2 business days from someone to get info from me for a Chase Quickpay option (whatever that is).

Looks like BMW will refund $300 due to the fact that the e-sim option, which was a $300 option, has never worked.

I’ve seen it was always unavailable when trying to activate. I was never super put off because the only reason I ordered it was because someone on the forums said it would give me 5G download speed for things like software update. This seems not to be the case anyways anyways as updates are super slow and I’m almost sure they come through the paired phone. But this could be wrong.

From what I've experienced, the Personal eSIM 5G seems to be a hit or a miss - some have had no problem setting up their eSIM (AT&T and T - Mobile customers), while others either never get it working or setting it up was a pain (most notably Verizon customers)

Most people are interested in the eSIM for its Wi - Fi Hotspot capability and to make apps like the YouTube App functional on the control display or the Theater Screen functional in the 7's! However, what I find frustrating/annoying is that you need the eSIM to be able to use the car's streaming services/features and there is not much of an alternative
NOTE: Actually BMW does offer an alternative version of the eSIM in the form of a physical sim reader, and I guess that is mainly targeted for folks who can't get their car's eSIM to function or for people who don't have data/connectivity. However, there is not much info available about it and most are probably not even aware that this thing exist.

What I'll be interested in seeing is what will BMW do, not only with previous MY's that are equipped with the Personal eSIM, but what will they be doing with the MY25's - The Personal eSIM 5G became standard equipment on a lot of models (incl. MY25 X1's and MY3/4 series) and so will they issue a credit or issue the physical reader or find a way to use apps like YouTube without the eSIM, or give people lifetime access to Digital Premium, etc.

I love BMW with all my heart, but I think they "was doing too much" with iDrive(s) 8 and up and it seems like things got rushed towards the end. I don't understand how Apple CarPlay/Android Auto can be projected wirelessly to the control display, but I can't use the YouTube App on my phone to watch a movie on the control display while parked...
(e.g., "Mr. iPhone meet the control display and control display meet Mr. iPhone - I will use the YouTube app on my phone to find a movie, and once I find what I want, I then want said movie to play on the control display)
- Setting up my uncle's theater screen in his i7 was sooo annoying and frustrating... like it made me wish there was a CD/DVD disc reader so that I can just pop a movie in and just watch it.

I drive a 2021 BMW 330i and the "Wi - Fi Hotspot Capability" was included with the optional "Wireless Charging" feature and AT&T is the only provider that provided connectivity and I pay $20 a month for it and setting it up took less than 5 minutes - oh and my phone plan is with Verizon, but I like how I can still use my car's Wi - Fi without having to mess with my mobile plan, which is a business account.

Please keep us posted and let me know what happens! I also wonder how all of this will affect the Digital Premium content, which is something I am not a fan of!

Anyways, stay safe out there!

Best,
Cameron
Appreciate 1
abirmaher874.50
      09-03-2024, 09:01 PM   #4
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam330i View Post
From what I've experienced, the Personal eSIM 5G seems to be a hit or a miss - some have had no problem setting up their eSIM (AT&T and T - Mobile customers), while others either never get it working or setting it up was a pain (most notably Verizon customers)

Most people are interested in the eSIM for its Wi - Fi Hotspot capability and to make apps like the YouTube App functional on the control display or the Theater Screen functional in the 7's! However, what I find frustrating/annoying is that you need the eSIM to be able to use the car's streaming services/features and there is not much of an alternative
NOTE: Actually BMW does offer an alternative version of the eSIM in the form of a physical sim reader, and I guess that is mainly targeted for folks who can't get their car's eSIM to function or for people who don't have data/connectivity. However, there is not much info available about it and most are probably not even aware that this thing exist.

What I'll be interested in seeing is what will BMW do, not only with previous MY's that are equipped with the Personal eSIM, but what will they be doing with the MY25's - The Personal eSIM 5G became standard equipment on a lot of models (incl. MY25 X1's and MY3/4 series) and so will they issue a credit or issue the physical reader or find a way to use apps like YouTube without the eSIM, or give people lifetime access to Digital Premium, etc.

I love BMW with all my heart, but I think they "was doing too much" with iDrive(s) 8 and up and [...]
I don’t think they will do anything for models where this is standard. I assume I’m getting the credit because I had this option on my build sheet.

I don’t think this affects anything with digital premium either. I let mine expire after 3 months and have not missed it at all.

Mine will not even let me do the initial setup. Says it is incompatible. See my screenshot from the my BMW app.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2024, 09:03 PM   #5
jsosa11
Rep

Quote:

ESim isn’t working on my 2025 X1 either. But not sure if the issue is related with my carrier or BMW. I get an unauthorized error message when activating on the TMobile website.
Appreciate 1
abirmaher874.50
      09-03-2024, 09:03 PM   #6
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsosa11 View Post
ESim isn’t working on my 2025 X1 either. But not sure if the issue is related with my carrier or BMW. I get an unauthorized error message when activating on the TMobile website.
Have you tried via the app? That’s where I see that my car is incompatible.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2024, 10:36 PM   #7
jsosa11
Rep

Quote:
Have you tried via the app? That’s where I see that my car is incompatible.
Yes, the app redirects me to the tmobile site where I get the message.
Appreciate 1
abirmaher874.50
      09-04-2024, 04:34 AM   #8
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam330i View Post

I love BMW with all my heart, but I think they "was doing too much" with iDrive(s) 8 and up and it seems like things got rushed towards the end. I don't understand how Apple CarPlay/Android Auto can be projected wirelessly to the control display, but I can't use the YouTube App on my phone to watch a movie on the control display while parked...
(e.g., "Mr. iPhone meet the control display and control display meet Mr. iPhone - I will use the YouTube app on my phone to find a movie, and once I find what I want, I then want said movie to play on the control display)
- Setting up my uncle's theater screen in his i7 was sooo annoying and frustrating... like it made me wish there was a CD/DVD disc reader so that I can just pop a movie in and just watch it.

I drive a 2021 BMW 330i and the "Wi - Fi Hotspot Capability" was included with the optional "Wireless Charging" feature and AT&T is the only provider that provided connectivity and I pay $20 a month for it and setting it up took less than 5 minutes - oh and my phone plan is with Verizon, but I like how I can still use my car's Wi - Fi without having to mess with my mobile plan, which is a business account.

Please keep us posted and let me know what happens! I also wonder how all of this will affect the Digital Premium content, which is something I am not a fan of!

Anyways, stay safe out there!

Best,
Cameron
Because Apple designed the CarPlay interface, which is only utilized when connected to the car, video streaming is disabled on the interface level on Apple's side. Nothing BMW can do about this. I'm assuming Apple has the ability to reasonably enable this if they can see through the interface that the car is parked, but has chosen to disable it for safety reasons (eliminating one avenue in which they can be sued).
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 1
abirmaher874.50
      09-04-2024, 05:28 PM   #9
WhatNext
Rep
Drives: Audi S3, F150 Roush, BMW X1 M3

I for one was very excited to see the email today. Quick call to verify last 7 of the VIN, email, set miles and phone # to score $300 in comp. I have no clue or care what personal ESIM is or does but is was on my M35i when I found it for sale. Remote start was not installed, so i shall use the compensation to resolve the first world problem with a car that is not tempered inside to my comfort before I get in.
Appreciate 1
abirmaher874.50
      09-09-2024, 05:04 PM   #10
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Recieved my form today. You have to create a login on this page, Chase and BMW co branded, confirm your info and create a login. Then you put in your bank info and initiate the transfer. I should be seeing it in the next few days.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 03:06 PM   #11
Jeffrey398
Registered
Rep
Drives: 128i

I received the email too, BUT

SO, I received that email. Then, phoned the number to give them my VIN... Got the total run around and was passed to three different agents. Finally, I was passed to someone who SAID he was going to make the refund happen.... then, the next day, I got a text from BMW saying that I wouldn't get the refund.

Was at my dealer yesterday for service and reported all this. They had NO idea about the refund or even the issue of the esim being useless (which I frankly found hard to believe)... They said they would ask their manager to look into it and that they would call me back. So far, nothing.

Between this and the miserable IDrive 9, this may be the last BMW I ever buy.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2024, 03:23 PM   #12
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey398 View Post
SO, I received that email. Then, phoned the number to give them my VIN... Got the total run around and was passed to three different agents. Finally, I was passed to someone who SAID he was going to make the refund happen.... then, the next day, I got a text from BMW saying that I wouldn't get the refund.

Was at my dealer yesterday for service and reported all this. They had NO idea about the refund or even the issue of the esim being useless (which I frankly found hard to believe)... They said they would ask their manager to look into it and that they would call me back. So far, nothing.

Between this and the miserable IDrive 9, this may be the last BMW I ever buy.
So weird. The first person I got when I called didn’t have much knowledge but they passed me to someone who did.

Did you option your car with the eSIM?

I received my funds from them.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2024, 10:10 AM   #13
Jeffrey398
Registered
Rep
Drives: 128i

Yes, I optioned it with Esim...
Appreciate 1
abirmaher874.50
      09-16-2024, 05:30 AM   #14
abirmaher
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey398 View Post
Yes, I optioned it with Esim...
Then you should get it for sure. I’d call again and hopefully you get someone else who is more helpful.
Appreciate 0