BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Drive Assistant Pro Disables Itself For Various Reasons

12-06-2023, 07:21 PM   #1
spmcewen
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Drive Assistant Pro Disables Itself For Various Reasons

I realize that drive assistant pro can’t magically work under all road conditions but I’m wondering if what I’m experiencing is a sign of an actual problem. This has happened a total of 3 times.

After driving for some time there will be a warning about drive assistant features like emergency front collision detection not being available and that if the problem continues contact a service center. The car has 1500 miles and is pretty clean. Not yet coated with New England wintery road salt spray.

The first time it happened was on a short 2 mile drive. When I got home I turned the car off and waited about an hour. I turned it back on and there were no errors. I drove off and pressed the button for auto steering. It didn’t work and gave a slightly different error about the side radar. Drive assistant pro normally works fine on my road.

Both of these times the roads were slimy and wet and it was bright sun. So I figured that may have been the issue, or perhaps a sensor was dirty.

This was about 2 weeks ago and since then car has been perfectly fine and I stopped thinking about it.

It happened a 3rd time tonight on dry roads at night. My wife was driving and I didn’t get a clear description of what the error said. She made several stops for errands and it didn't happen until the final return leg to home. I went out for a test drive after she arrived and there were no problems. Car was perfect.

Does this sound typical for other peoples experience with drive assistant pro, with either this car or other models?

I love it when it does work, it’s like I’m living in the future and I feel like it was worth the price.

And yes, I plan to follow up with the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 05:18 PM   #2
A1eksey
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11) xDrive 20d

I have the similar experience. Three or four times I've got the message that Driver Assistance has been restricted for no reason.
Two times I've got the message with High-beam failure.
I just turn my car off for 10-15 minutes without doing anything, and all errors disappeared. I do not even know if it is stored in some logs to show it to the dealer.

See below.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      12-07-2023, 06:12 PM   #3
spmcewen
Private
Rep

Thank you for the details. Were your high beams really not working or was it a buggy error message?

I checked for software updates and nothing came up. I wonder if this is just software bugs.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 06:52 PM   #4
A1eksey
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11) xDrive 20d

Everything works. It’s just a sw bug.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 05:06 AM   #5
mehatu
Rep
Drives: BMW Active Tourer U06

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eksey View Post
I have the similar experience. Three or four times I've got the message that Driver Assistance has been restricted for no reason.
I just turn my car off for 10-15 minutes without doing anything, and all errors disappeared. I do not even know if it is stored in some logs to show it to the dealer.

See below.
By looking at the first picture with the "yellow lane departure warning light" I presume your car is not with the latest software. With the latest software the yellow symbol changes to the one in this picture.
I had a similar problem with those lights poping up every now and then and I went to the dealer. They updated the car to the latest software and everything is fixed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      12-13-2023, 09:34 AM   #6
spmcewen
Private
Rep

What is the latest software version? Mine shows 07/2023.45 with no other updates available.

I was driving yesterday and after 30 or so minutes this popped up. Its as after driving into a very intense sunrise, though strangely it happened exactly when I touched the top of the screen to pull down the menu.

Name:  IMG_1972.jpg
Views: 1007
Size:  124.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1973.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  179.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 06:03 AM   #7
Dimix1
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive 25e Msport

Garage List
Did you get the error: Pedestrian Acoustic Protection combined with no audio inside the car. No sound of the radio, no sound of the indicators, no driving assist, …)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 12:55 AM   #8
mehatu
Rep

As the Connected Drive is not available in my country, I can not OTA update nor see the version of the software in my car.
However by looking into the lane depart warning symbol you can understand if it is the old version which caused these lights in my case.
Picture with 96 km/h is after the update and picture with 97 km/h is before the update.
Note that right after the update, lots of warning messages pop-up for a short while during the calibration. The picture was taken at this time but the day after the update everything was OK.
Direct sunlight was also affecting my yellow lights to pop-up before the software update but it is all fixed after all and at the same corner where there is the direct sunlight, there is no problem anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmcewen View Post
What is the latest software version? Mine shows 07/2023.45 with no other updates available.

I was driving yesterday and after 30 or so minutes this popped up. Its as after driving into a very intense sunrise, though strangely it happened exactly when I touched the top of the screen to pull down the menu.

Attachment 3342151

Attachment 3342152
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
A1eksey22.50
iFrans0.00
      01-02-2024, 02:48 AM   #9
stormchaser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: NONE

Question on DAP. I have a 23 530I with this feature and if NOT in full DAP mode (Green steering wheel) the car still does a good job of nudging you over in the lane without it activated. Does the X1 do the same? It is almost like a nice back up if you are not in the Full DAP mode. Also, how long before you get a red light versus the orange flash if no input or steering wheel interaction is sensed? The camera on the X1 looks different than the wide screens on the other BMW cars so wondering if the technology works any different. My 530 is very finicky to dirt or even dry roads sometimes stops working from just road dust/dirt it seems.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 12:07 PM   #10
Bam-Bam
Private
Rep
Drives: Ix1 xdrive30

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormchaser View Post
Question on DAP. I have a 23 530I with this feature and if NOT in full DAP mode (Green steering wheel) the car still does a good job of nudging you over in the lane without it activated. Does the X1 do the same? It is almost like a nice back up if you are not in the Full DAP mode. Also, how long before you get a red light versus the orange flash if no input or steering wheel interaction is sensed? The camera on the X1 looks different than the wide screens on the other BMW cars so wondering if the technology works any different. My 530 is very finicky to dirt or even dry roads sometimes stops working from just road dust/dirt it seems.
I have driving assistance plus. Orange flashing after 5 sec. and Red after 20 sec. Not touching steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 10:43 PM   #11
stormchaser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: NONE

Is it the same as the DAP on the 530? My screen is bigger on the front whereas the X1 has a smaller camera. Not sure if it works as well? Its called Driver Assistance Professional not plus. Plus was an older name. Also, if you don't have it on will the car still steer itself back in the lane (Nudging versus centering if activated)? Mine will still nudge you even though DAP is not "on" with the steering wheel ikon.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 11:22 AM   #12
spmcewen
Private
Rep

My X1 will nudge you back into the lane automatically even if the steering wheel button is not on. It seems sorta random when this happens. Usually the wheel will vibrate and the icon will light on the dash as a warning. I think if the lane departure is severe enough it will take control and try to keep you in it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 02:50 PM   #13
oakey46
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 A/T 220i Lux Auto 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eksey View Post

See below.
I've been seeing quite regular, similar warnings on my 2022 U06 2 Series Active Tourer and arranged for BMW Assistance to come out to my UK home to investigate 2Jan24. This is just one of a fairly regular series of warnings, most of which disappear from the iDrive 8 screen within a few moments. I even have my wife load her iPhone camera as soon as we set off on a trip so that she can get an image asap.
The BMW chap had a look at the various pics and connected his computer to the car OBD socket to investigate. After a while, he said the diagnostic indications are it is a CAN Communications fault (whatever that may be!) and I should book the car into my BMW dealer for further investigation. Now booked in for 8Feb24, which is the earliest date they can offer me a courtesy car.
Attached Images

Last edited by oakey46; 01-04-2024 at 10:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2024, 08:15 AM   #14
mehatu
Rep

Here is an update from my side: After 3 major updates and everytime it seemed like the problem is more or less solved, the problem in my 2023 2AT 220i was still there and the front collision warning, lane keeping assist yellow lights popping up every now and then. Moreover the headlights are turning on and off for no reason in dry sunny weather and sometimes the auto high beam feature was getting deactivated randomly. I alos noticed that as soon as drive out under a bridge to the sunny weather the warning lights are on and the system is off. Went to the dealer again and told them I suspect there is something wrong with the camera and the sensors in the Kafas camera area. The supervisor checked and found that the camera is not firmly sitting in its slot since the plastic bracket is broken. Also he told me that there was a kind of film type coating on the windscreen which he cleaned. I had noticed this barely blur coating but was not sure of. He ordered a new plastic bracket to replace the broken one and meanwhile fixed the camera to the old bracket temporarily. Since then there is a huge difference and no yellow warnings anymore. It is like black and white. Fingers crossed but I guess this time they found the problem.
Appreciate 1
MMandov30.00