BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) IBS Recall - Huge safety problem

09-17-2024, 07:49 AM   #1
kowi310
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1 u11

IBS Recall - Huge safety problem

I want to share my experience with the IBS recall from BMW since march/april on my X1 U11 23d, I received the notification on the BMW app (sorry it's in french), long-story short, it's saying that there are a few sensors in the car which are detecting an imminent problem with the brake system in the next few days.

I called my BMW center to inform them of what I received and they told me to bring the car just to make sure that everything is ok, the reality is they just use the car diagnostic tool and they came back saying that everything is good : don't worry and we'll let you know once we got replacements parts.

After driving out the BMW Center for a few kilometers, a warning showed up on both 2 screens : break system default, drive carefully.

Thanksfully I was driving slowly (20-30km/h) when it happened and I managed to stop the car immediately.

The problem is that the "discharge notice" I had to sign to acknowledge the potential problem with the breaking system says that under "Security mode", the car can still performs well without ABS or ESP.

However it's not the case: the first 50% of the breaking pedal did nothing at all and when you push harder, all the wheels are instantly locked.

You can image what could have happened at higher speed.

If guys have this warning on the app, be careful.

I'm also wondering what I can do, because they literally let me go out there with a car like that with all the dangers I can face with my wife and 2 yo daughter on board.

Last edited by kowi310; 09-17-2024 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 8
donnus26.00
SAS X121.00
FZI89625.50
kaotiko69.00
srbs73567.50
jhbodle147.50
      09-17-2024, 03:25 PM   #2
Duncs1961
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11)

I had exactly the same happen to me in July, one week before the car was due in to have the new brake parts fitted! In my case, I was driving faster, approx. 40 mph (65 kmh) and the warnings suddenly flashed up, just as I was approaching a very busy junction. I had to pump the brake pedal rapidly and only just managed to stop in time. I was pretty badly shaken up after that. I was only 2 miles from home at this point, so drove very carefully home and didn't drive it again until the dealer picked it up. During that last two miles, the brake pedal behaved very erratically, at first nothing would happend, and then pushing it harder, the wheels would just suddenly lock up.

Ever since it has been repaired, the brakes have been fine, but after that experience, and the fact I had to have a complete new transmission fitted in February, I have no confidence in the car now.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2024, 07:47 PM   #3
pascat
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1 xDr28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncs1961 View Post
Ever since it has been repaired, the brakes have been fine, but after that experience, and the fact I had to have a complete new transmission fitted in February, I have no confidence in the car now.
Have you verified whether your car is still under the IBS recall? The reason I am asking is because after the original recall last February some of the new IBS components that BMW had been receiving from Continental were also flawed. Those new components were used by BMW both in brand new cars and also to fix cars already on the road which experienced the brake problem. That prompted BMW last August to extended the recall to many more cars for a total of 1.5 million vehicles. That updated recall also triggered a stop sales in countries like the US (in the US a recall on new cars not already received by their buyers prevents the delivery of those cars).

In my specific case, the IBS problem manifested itself last August as a Parking Brake Malfunction at the time I started the engine. My dealer performed the IBS repair per recall, and then two days later told me that the part they replaced was also under recall. As of now I am still waiting for the dealership to receive the “good” replacement part. As far as I know no BMW car under recall has been fixed yet using the “good parts” after the August recall update.

Last edited by pascat; Yesterday at 02:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2024, 08:21 PM   #4
pascat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowi310 View Post
I'm also wondering what I can do, because they literally let me go out there with a car like that with all the dangers I can face with my wife and 2 yo daughter on board.
The approach taken by BMW to handle this recall clearly indicates they are not concerned about being sued for road accidents caused by the recall malfunction. In fact they are giving higher priority to fixing the problem on cars that are currently on stop sales (which evidently cannot experience the malfunction) rather than on cars currently on the road.

That approach is clearly justified by the need to deliver sold cars asap and receive the money for those sales. But I am not sure their approach is good, because it seems to me that the IBS issue presents a serious security problem and they could end up being sued for even more money that they would be losing by not clearing those stop sales.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:48 AM   #5
Duncs1961
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pascat View Post
Have you verified whether your car is still under the IBS recall? The reason I am asking is because after the original recall last February some of the new IBS components that BMW had been receiving from Continental were also flawed. Those new components were used by BMW both in brand new cars and also to fix cars already on the road which experienced the brake problem. That prompted BMW last August to extended the recall to many more cars for a total of 1.5 million vehicles. That updated recall also triggered a stop sales in countries like the US (in the US a recall on new cars not already received by their buyers prevents the delivery of those cars).

In my specific case, the IBS problem manifested itself last August as a Parking Brake Malfunction at the time I started the engine. My dealer performed the IBS repair per recall, and then two days later told me that the part they replaced was also under recall. As of now I am still waiting for the dealership to receive the “good” replacement part. As far as I know no BMW car under recall has been fixed yet using the “good parts”.
No, luckily (if that's the right word!) the parts fitted to my car were good parts, so it is no longer under recall.

However, it is going back to the dealer this Friday to have new seals fitted on the final drive casing...
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:15 AM   #6
Nico84
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X130e

Hi all,

I was called by the dealer in Belgium 3 weeks ago about my X1 phev, they mentioned it would be repaired within two weeks because the parts were ordered and on their way. I went to the dealer, left my X1 and took a replacement car. Now, more then 2 weeks later, they call me back mentioning i should return my replacement car and have another one (not to mention my X1 is about 70k€ worth and replacement car about 41k€)....Moreover, today they have no view at all when the parts will be available etc. Hate this situation. Not having my car for which i paid (a lot) and they don't even know when I would get it back...
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:31 AM   #7
kowi310
Registered
Rep

Quote:
I had exactly the same happen to me in July, one week before the car was due in to have the new brake parts fitted! In my case, I was driving faster, approx. 40 mph (65 kmh) and the warnings suddenly flashed up, just as I was approaching a very busy junction. I had to pump the brake pedal rapidly and only just managed to stop in time. I was pretty badly shaken up after that. I was only 2 miles from home at this point, so drove very carefully home and didn't drive it again until the dealer picked it up. During that last two miles, the brake pedal behaved very erratically, at first nothing would happend, and then pushing it harder, the wheels would just suddenly lock up.

Glad you've been able to drive home after the system broke, I think we described exactly the same behavior of the IBS when it's go under
"Security mode".

Did you get something from BMW after the repair? Extended guarantee? or BMW Service Inclusive Plus for free?

They are still waiting for the replacement part for mine but I already lost all confidence in the car aswell.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:34 AM   #8
kowi310
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico84 View Post
Hi all,

I was called by the dealer in Belgium 3 weeks ago about my X1 phev, they mentioned it would be repaired within two weeks because the parts were ordered and on their way. I went to the dealer, left my X1 and took a replacement car. Now, more then 2 weeks later, they call me back mentioning i should return my replacement car and have another one (not to mention my X1 is about 70k€ worth and replacement car about 41k€)....Moreover, today they have no view at all when the parts will be available etc. Hate this situation. Not having my car for which i paid (a lot) and they don't even know when I would get it back...
Hi,

I have no idea of the stock for the replacements parts in Belgium but in France they told me that they have 30 pieces only and the only way to get one is to open a ticket when the IBS is broke already. If you got only the recall notice on the app, they will just wait.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 05:49 AM   #9
YoungG
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2.3i MSport Premier

I have already posted in thread DCT RECALL (5/9/24) that my car was to get the DCT recall work (10028230100) done at the same time as its first service. My car was previously at the dealer (in June 24) for the recall to replace the integrated braking system (1003460200). I had had no issues with the braking system before this recall and it has been okay since.

I was originally told that the DCT/Service would take 2 days but a call from the dealer advised that the work (they didn't specify what work) was taking longer and they would need to keep the car for another 1/2 days. When I collected the car on day 4 the paperwork also included an item "Replaced Integrated Braking System" with new parts fitted. So it looks like the original recall was carried out with faulty parts.

Anyway all seems to be okay. While at the dealer software version 07/2024.44 was installed. There's been no issues with this update although I am not sure what it does/improves.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 06:22 AM   #10
timesone
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Any Canadian owners receive their recall letter?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:09 AM   #11
Duncs1961
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowi310 View Post

Did you get something from BMW after the repair? Extended guarantee? or BMW Service Inclusive Plus for free?
I did get a very nice cup of fresh coffee at the dealer, but no, apart from that nothing. I even emailed BMW to complain in general about the car so far, and they have ignored me.

As soon as I can return the car without having to owe any money (it is on finance) I will do. Never having another BMW again.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:43 AM   #12
kowi310
Registered
Rep

Quote:
I did get a very nice cup of fresh coffee at the dealer, but no, apart from that nothing. I even emailed BMW to complain in general about the car so far, and they have ignored me.

As soon as I can return the car without having to owe any money (it is on finance) I will do. Never having another BMW again.
wow.. very nice customer relationship management.

I'll try to get more than a cup a coffee, we'll see.

But no more BMW again for me too.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:51 AM   #13
Nico84
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X130e

And what do you think about having a temporary replacement car that's worth about 40K€ instead of my X1 full option around 70k€. And this for several weeks...months? First of all I don't have my initial car anymore for the moment for which I paid, and I get much less in return...
Financial compensation possible you think?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 08:38 AM   #14
Pganders
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X1 M Sport 30e

Hi, I got my letter 5 months ago and had forgotten all about it. Thanks for reminding me. - must chase with the dealer.

Apart from the safety aspect of a brake malfunction I’m wondering also if I decided to sell the car with an outstanding recall would this be a problem?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:11 PM   #15
pascat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico84 View Post
And what do you think about having a temporary replacement car that's worth about 40K€ instead of my X1 full option around 70k€. And this for several weeks...months? First of all I don't have my initial car anymore for the moment for which I paid, and I get much less in return...
Financial compensation possible you think?
Same thing here. I was given a Mazda CX-30 loaner, clearly not in the same category as the X1. And it might be weeks/months before I get my car back.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:11 AM   #16
JAYtheVET
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 X23d MSport

Garage List
Spoke to my dealer about a month ago to schedule a service and after reading my key they ordered the parts for the brake recall and said I'd get an appointment when the parts came in. I took my car to my dealer (Krah+Enders in Nidda, Germany) to have the brake recall work done on my X-23d on Tuesday. Picked up the car today...no issues.

In addition to the recall work they replaced a broken air vent "mover/opener/closer-thingie" for free. I'm guessing that was covered by the warranty.

My dealer was great through the entire process. Glad I have a good shop.
Appreciate 0