BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Ordering an X1 and Stuck between 28i and M35i

09-15-2024, 07:37 PM   #1
amd413
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mazda CX5 Turbo

Ordering an X1 and Stuck between 28i and M35i

Hi all, I’m on the cusp of ordering my first BMW and really torn between an MSport 28i and an M35i.

We live in the NYC area, so this is not a daily driver, but we do need the vehicle to run errands in NJ and to visit family in New England/travel in upstate NY on the weekends. We have one vehicle that we lease.

I previously drove VWs for most of my life and loved the VR6s and GTIs that I had in my 20s. I’d love to get some of those driving dynamics back in the next car we get.

We’ve test driven the MSport 28i and my wife loved how it drove.

My question: I have tried and not been able to drive an M35i prior to placing my order, but I’m going to need to submit the build soon and I don’t think I’ll get the chance. My current debate is between a fully optioned 28i with driver assistance professional or a well optioned M35i with driver assistance plus.

I think I would appreciate the driving dynamics of the M35i (understanding that I am mostly paying for the increased horsepower and lsd). I am worried that my wife would not appreciate the reports in some of the car magazines (particularly the reported torque steer and jerky downshifts).

I would appreciate anyone’s perspective on this issue and whether, under normal driving, the M35i really behaves that much differently from an MSport 28i.

Many thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2024, 08:37 PM   #2
SnowCover
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 330i, '23 X1, '25 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd413 View Post
Hi all, I’m on the cusp of ordering my first BMW and really torn between an MSport 28i and an M35i.

We live in the NYC area, so this is not a daily driver, but we do need the vehicle to run errands in NJ and to visit family in New England/travel in upstate NY on the weekends.
I have the 28i with M Sport and I have driven the M35i a few times. At the time(2023), the M35i was not available yet, so I had no choice.

The following are just my own personal observations, so take it with a grain of salt.

power: for 90% or more road up here, you won't really have the chance to use the extra power of the M35i. The 28i is plenty powerful. But if you race Civics and other small German SUVs at the traffic lights, you may need the extra ooomph of the M35i.

ride quality: both are equally comfortable and equally harsh, depending on the condition. if you opt for the 20-inch wheels on either model, be prepared for a harsher ride, which is unavoidable due to sidewall being lower.

safety: when I ordered my 28i, Driver Assistance Professional was not available. If I order one now, I will absolutely add that option. Although the more basic Plus is just fine for long road trips on I-95 up and down the east coast.

price: yes, the M35i is obviously going to cost a few thousand dollars more. if you can afford it, get the M35i. I don't know anybody who complains about having too much power in a car. People usually wish that their car has 50 or 70 more horses under the hood.

looks: 28i with M Sport and M35i look very similar. People often confuse my 28i with the M35i. Which means don't get the M35i if you're only getting it for the looks. The M Sport on the 28i makes it look very nice in almost any color.

Insurance: this may or may not apply to everybody, depending on their driving and claim history. I have a clean history. No tickets or claims in over 20 years. The M35i will cost me more to insure.. .about $800 more year, compare to my 28i.

Bad road in the Northeast: don't get the 20-inch wheels if you can help it. We have too many potholes and crappy roads here.

Last edited by SnowCover; 09-16-2024 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
amd4130.00
      09-16-2024, 12:00 PM   #3
Corals
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 x40i, 2024 X1 M35i

The M35i here should be the easy choice. I have about 8,000 miles on mine, and could not be happier I ponied up the extra $ to get it.

The 28i is a fine car - it is reasonably comfortable, drives fine, and looks decent. The M35i, however, has a soul. It is punchy when you want it to be, the suspension elements help it feel like a BMW in the corners, and the added performance brakes make for great responsiveness and feel. No, it's not an M2/M3 etc. but it drives and behaves way more like a charismatic BMW should given the limitations of the Mini platform, FWD bias, etc.

It's also not "you won't have the ability to use the power" - it's only got 312 hp. I have found plenty of cases coming out of tight bends, on ramps, etc. where the power has been way more fun to have, than not have.

I also had the first one to this area, so there was no test drive prior. It wasn't really needed, am very happy with the M35i.
Appreciate 1
amd4130.00
      09-16-2024, 01:07 PM   #4
rittiej
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1M35i

I had a 2018 GTI 6 sp manual. Traded it in for a 2024 M35i. It is a quick car (sport mode full time). Power wise, all good. Still having CarPlay issues 9 months in. It is a sweet ride though. Nice interior. Suspension is a bit stiff, but if you had a GTI you will like it.
Appreciate 1
amd4130.00
      09-16-2024, 04:21 PM   #5
Corals
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittiej View Post
I had a 2018 GTI 6 sp manual. Traded it in for a 2024 M35i. It is a quick car (sport mode full time). Power wise, all good. Still having CarPlay issues 9 months in. It is a sweet ride though. Nice interior. Suspension is a bit stiff, but if you had a GTI you will like it.
I just took mine in a few weeks ago and they did a software update (not sure when released) but it fixed all my carplay issues. No more dropped phone calls, no more random cuts in the music, and overall very stable now.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2024, 04:28 PM   #6
SnowCover
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corals View Post
I just took mine in a few weeks ago and they did a software update (not sure when released) but it fixed all my carplay issues. No more dropped phone calls, no more random cuts in the music, and overall very stable now.

I just got this on my phone a couple of minutes ago. Seems like Apple is releasing this today to everybody?

Are you brave enough to try it and let us know if iOS18 will play nicely with CarPlay on the X1? Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2024, 06:27 PM   #7
rittiej
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1M35i

Fingers crossed! Thanks for the heads up.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2024, 06:39 PM   #8
IM2C
Major General
Rep
Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive

You will never, ever regret getting M35i. Not something you can say about 28i. Ask me how I know.
      09-16-2024, 07:40 PM   #9
BokTroy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

We got a beautiful Storm Gray X1 28i with almost every box ticked as a loaner when my G87 was in for a service for about 2 weeks. It really kinda changed my mind how I see this car.

Although it’s a front wheel platform that shares with Mini, the BMW refinement is definitely there, drives well, suspension tuning is quite decent, build quality is great, surprising great packaging that gives great legroom front & backand and, I don’t hate assistant driving plus lol. It just drive like a hatchback more like an SUV.

My wife ends up using it during the time and she loves almost everything about it, except, for it’s pick up speed and power. She drives a 18 Mk7.5 GTI so the power to weight is not as great in 28i. We ended up taking a test drive later that week with my dealer for a M35i and I could tell you that they are very different cars dynamically (cosmetically as everyone previously says it’s basically identical except for some more opening in the front for cooling and controversial 4-tail pipes): the pick up feels like it’s in between GTI and Golf R if that makes sense. They added some drama with their pumped in sound and some burbles, which I don’t hate either. Transmission tuning, to me, is susbentential to feel the difference when upshift and take off from stand still. If you are used to DSG, it’s pretty much on par with DQ381 7 speed. Suspension tuning resolved my complain about floating feel when you steer near dead zones (the typical SUV numbness when you have little steering input). Overall, very different car than 28i driving wise, with no compromise with pretty much everything else. So for us, we would definitely choose M35 over 28 for sure.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2024, 11:22 PM   #10
FZI89
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW iX1, U11

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowCover View Post
I just got this on my phone a couple of minutes ago. Seems like Apple is releasing this today to everybody?

Are you brave enough to try it and let us know if iOS18 will play nicely with CarPlay on the X1? Thanks in advance.
I’ve been running the beta for a couple of months now, and as of two weeks ago been running the final release version. I don’t use CarPlay much, but in the time I’ve used it, I still noticed some drops when using Spotify.

I don’t think it’s a software issue on apples side. It’s a problem with the cars OS
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2024, 02:06 PM   #11
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowCover View Post

So far no issues
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
2024 U11 X1 2.8i
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2024, 04:42 PM   #12
BKPHX1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2024 X1 xDrive28i

Well, we went with x28i, 18” wheels, with driver assistance pro. We’re in NYC, so I wanted as much comfort as possible, so base suspension and 18” wheels. Personally, if I had anything with an M on it, I would just want to be running around on cool back roads, which I just know I won’t do! As it is, I put it in sport mode and it’s still lots of fun. And, a big yes to driver assistance pro. I wasn’t going to get it, but then went ahead. It’s awesome on the highway, and around town.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2024, 07:16 PM   #13
TheJerseyDon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30M3,40GTI,CGTS,u11m35i

M35I all day my dude. Looker and B48 in this pulls like it shouldn't. I got the 20" and drive in NJ all the time and just last week was in Brooklyn. Zero issue but not to say you cant pay attention. I also got the SW upgrade and it addressed 90% of what we needed.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2024, 07:40 PM   #14
markronnie
New BMW Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1 28i

Garage List
2024 BMW X1 28i  [9.00]
After getting 2 flats on the same day years ago with low profile tires in an Acura TSX I vowed NEVER to get low profile tires EVER again. That was back in 2009 when I hit a large pot hole the first week of buying it. Both drivers side wheels also were damaged at that time.

I’m glad I went with standard 18” on my 24 x1 28i. 😀
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2024, 07:43 PM   #15
timesone
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Yes the M35i really behaves that much differently from an MSport. Serious M buyers don’t need other’s justification.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:26 AM   #16
amd413
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mazda CX5 Turbo

Thanks all for these great comments. There is a lot to think on.

I should say that if we get the 28i, it would have the M Sport package with the MSport brakes. With those two packages shouldn’t handling/driving dynamics be similar to the M35i and the real difference be pickup?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:41 AM   #17
saltydog
Rep
Drives: 2024 MB GLE 53 2025 X1 M35i

I was thinking about the same decision. X1 28 or X1 M35. Well you'll never say I wish I had less horsepower. I also liked the paddle shifters on the M35. The M35 motor is built a little more stout as well. Although I would have thought the M35 would have a little more torque as well but it has the same torque as the 28. I went with the 19's tires for a "little" less firm ride. I live in SWFl where roads are fairly flat and not a lot of potholes just an occasional railroad track.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:27 AM   #18
spmcewen
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd413 View Post
Thanks all for these great comments. There is a lot to think on.

I should say that if we get the 28i, it would have the M Sport package with the MSport brakes. With those two packages shouldn’t handling/driving dynamics be similar to the M35i and the real difference be pickup?
I have a 28i and test drove an X2 M35i at a BMW driving event (along with an X5 M60i and an X7 M60i).

My takeaway was that the X2 M35i felt so similar to my X1 28i that I didn't feel like it was worth the $10k price difference. It validated my decision to go with the 28i (and I wanted the factory hitch option that you can't get with the m sport trim or the M35i anyway). With the M35i BMW pumps in a huge amount of fake engine sound, lots of bubbles and popping when letting off the throttle, and maybe some extra turbo whine too. Driving feel wise it's not a substantial difference. Even though the 28i is around 250HP it feels more sporty than that. Personally I have never wanted or needed more power from it. It's way more sporty and quick and smooth than any other car I've owned, including a 2016 Subaru WRX.

The X5 and X7 definitely felt heavier (especially the X7) but all still felt like driving a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:32 AM   #19
SnowCover
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltydog View Post
I was thinking about the same decision. X1 28 or X1 M35. Well you'll never say I wish I had less horsepower. I also liked the paddle shifters on the M35. The M35 motor is built a little more stout as well. Although I would have thought the M35 would have a little more torque as well but it has the same torque as the 28. I went with the 19's tires for a "little" less firm ride. I live in SWFl where roads are fairly flat and not a lot of potholes just an occasional railroad track.
my xdrive28i came with paddle shifters as part of the M Sport package. I use them almost every single day because it's fun. in fact, I think it's the only reason I ordered that package.

(stupid BMW... because X1 can be had with paddle shifters in every trim level in Europe... even it's the X1 with a 3-cylinder engine)
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:40 PM   #20
Corals
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmcewen View Post
I have a 28i and test drove an X2 M35i at a BMW driving event (along with an X5 M60i and an X7 M60i).

My takeaway was that the X2 M35i felt so similar to my X1 28i that I didn't feel like it was worth the $10k price difference. It validated my decision to go with the 28i (and I wanted the factory hitch option that you can't get with the m sport trim or the M35i anyway). With the M35i BMW pumps in a huge amount of fake engine sound, lots of bubbles and popping when letting off the throttle, and maybe some extra turbo whine too. Driving feel wise it's not a substantial difference. Even though the 28i is around 250HP it feels more sporty than that. Personally I have never wanted or needed more power from it. It's way more sporty and quick and smooth than any other car I've owned, including a 2016 Subaru WRX.

The X5 and X7 definitely felt heavier (especially the X7) but all still felt like driving a BMW.
The X1 M35i feels WAY different driving than my X5. In fact, going back and forth between them it's almost like driving cars from different manufacturers. The X1 has a bit of edgy-ness to it, the throttle is responsive, the brakes promptly slow the thing down, and overall feels like a sports wagon more than a small SUV.

The X5 drives more like a luxury SUV. Yes - way heavier - but also the steering is softer, the throttle response is "lazier" and the brakes (even the M-Performance brakes) take a lot more effort to slow the thing down.

Still a BMW - but the driving dynamics of switching between them day to day - it's definitely a different feeling.
Appreciate 0