BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The Sports Lounge 2023 NFL Thread

12-18-2023, 10:13 AM   #397
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakefront View Post
How many GOOD teams have they destroyed? They are very good at smashing bad teams.....they beat Philly convincingly (this time) but otherwise?
I don't know as I don't follow them closely. It's just my perception that they either smash a team, or they fall on their face.
      12-18-2023, 11:38 AM   #398
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
The Cowboys got destroyed by the freaking Cardinals early this season. Let that sink in. They’ll be one-and-done in the playoffs and that most recent SB trophy will get a little bit rustier. They have the horses, they need a better HC and staff.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 11:42 AM   #399
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
I don't understand the Cowboys. There are games where they go out and absolutely destroy their competition. And then they go lay an egg like yesterday. Seems like it's either best case scenario or worst case scenario for them. The lack of discipline might be the theme that sinks them in their bad games. I still think they can beat anyone as long as they stay out of their own way.
I think you have to look at the quality of wins and losses. The Cowboys tend to beat up on weaker teams. That's a fact. Look at all the teams they've thumped this season. They destroyed an ailing and reeling Eagles team last week. Not sure what they proved with that win. When they face a good football team they rarely rise to the occasion and this is especially true in the Playoffs. Why is that? Because adverse selection largely goes out the window in the postseason. The only teams left are the best of the best and that's a daunting proposition in a league with the greatest parity of any professional sport.
      12-18-2023, 11:55 AM   #400
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Harsh, but true for the last quarter century.

Maybe this year will be different.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 12:30 PM   #401
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
The Cowboys looked like they're ready for their usual playoff run, they look good/great during the regular season then disappear come playoff time.
Basically most the league, besides the Superbowl winner each year. Bills/Allen have been hyped for years and can't get over the hump either.

Realistically I agree with Vegas. Cowboys have 5th or 6th best chance to win Superbowl. In other words very unlikely. They would need to go on a hot streak at just the right time.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 12:32 PM   #402
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I don't understand the Cowboys. There are games where they go out and absolutely destroy their competition. And then they go lay an egg like yesterday.
Similar to the Lions. Both teams can be hot or cold. There is no in between. Lions have some bad losses.
Quote:
How many GOOD teams have they destroyed? They are very good at smashing bad teams.....they beat Philly convincingly (this time) but otherwise?
Who is destroying good teams, besides 49ers? Eagles have been squeaking by in most of the W's. Chiefs look meh. Dolphins have put up big numbers, but have no significant wins(losses to Bills/Chiefs/Jags/Eagles).

This year is the most parody I have ever seen in NFL. Any team can win any Sunday.

Last edited by M3WC; 12-18-2023 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 2
JMcLellan2126.00
vreihen1615586.00
      12-18-2023, 01:14 PM   #403
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
I don't understand the Cowboys. There are games where they go out and absolutely destroy their competition. And then they go lay an egg like yesterday. Seems like it's either best case scenario or worst case scenario for them. The lack of discipline might be the theme that sinks them in their bad games. I still think they can beat anyone as long as they stay out of their own way.
Quote:
Their problem is they are built on defense to play with a lead. Dan Quinn has built a defense designed around defending the pass and getting to the QB. Tons of speed, but the LBs and DL are undersized. So if they get down or get in to a grind it out on the ground style game, they are in trouble. Add to it 3 personal fouls on 3rd/4th down that extended drives and ultimately led to 21 points, and it was a disaster from the start.

Similarly on offense, they are built to take advantage of their speed. The run game, and especially Pollard, is not built to to run up the middle and wear down a defense all game. And when they come across a team with similar speed, they arent able to get to the edges and break something free.

Buffalo had a great gameplan to mitigate both things the Cowboys do well. They avoided putting Allen in a position to throw the ball and let the Cowboys Pass Rush tee off on him. And they played zone coverage and avoided letting the Cowboys playmakers getting open space.

Hopefully, the Cowboys do what they did after the 9ers loss and come up with some gameplans to counter this. Because this is what you are going to see in the playoffs on the road in poor weather. I'm not worried about playing the NFC South winner in the WC weekend, if they do end up the #5 seed, but going on the road to Philly in probably a poor weather game, and ultimately having to go on the road in SF, wont go well if they stick to what theyve been doing.

Still a great team, they are now #2 in point differential and you dont get that by accident. Eagles for example have a 146pt lower point differential, but they need to figure out how to fix their weaknesses if they want to make a deep run.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2126.00
      12-18-2023, 01:22 PM   #404
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Similar to the Lions. Both teams can be hot or cold. There is no in between. Lions have some bad losses.

Who is destroying good teams, besides 49ers? Eagles have been squeaking by in most of the W's. Chiefs look meh. Dolphins have put up big numbers, but have no significant wins(losses to Bills/Chiefs/Jags/Eagles).

This year is the most parody I have ever seen in NFL. Any team can win any Sunday.
This.

Only the 9ers are rolling good teams and bad teams. The Dolphins, outside of a few games, havent really been blowing anyone out, good or bad teams. The Ravens have a few blowout wins, vs bad teams. The Eagles havent blown anyone out.

Appreciate 1
sygazelle11525.50
      12-18-2023, 07:20 PM   #405
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Definitely this. The AZ loss was a fluke. The Niners loss was the most alarming. Eagles loss was barely, on the Road and indicative of a Division Rival. When then destroyed them in return. This Bills game was extremely sloppy. The biggest concerns I have going forward:
Run Defense
Sloppy, undisciplined play resulting in penalties.
I still believe Dallas will advance to the NFC Conference Playoffs.
History says they will bounce back against the Fins.

Now for the Hawks to bring down the Eagles...
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2126.00
      12-18-2023, 07:31 PM   #406
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

I forgot to add... Other huge concern that is squarely on Dan Quinn, ZERO adjustments in the second half. We still have a very capable and potent Defense. But, if they are not utilized correctly, it won't matter.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 11:18 PM   #407
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep

That might have just locked number one seed for 49ers, thanks to Drew Lock. 3 game skid for the Eagles.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 12:42 AM   #408
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Julian Love made the most spectacular interception of the entire NFL Season tonight for the Seahawks.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2023, 01:49 AM   #409
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Ravens @ Niners next Monday night - SB preview.
JMcLellan2126.00
lakefront566.50
      12-20-2023, 09:27 AM   #410
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Well, they might be in luck as 2 of their remaining games are against my Vikes who like to do many stupid things and lose very close games. The Lions will win the division but I don't see them winning more than 1 playoff game. The competition on the top of the NFC is too fierce.
The way things are lining up, 3/4 will be against Minnesota so Lions will get thru the wildcard game. That may leave them with the battered/bruised winner of Boys/Eagles, so potential for 2 playoff game wins.

Any given Thursday/Saturday/Sunday/Monday this season, I love it!
      12-20-2023, 03:19 PM   #411
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
The way things are lining up, 3/4 will be against Minnesota so Lions will get thru the wildcard game. That may leave them with the battered/bruised winner of Boys/Eagles, so potential for 2 playoff game wins.

Any given Thursday/Saturday/Sunday/Monday this season, I love it!
eagles cowboys would be an nfc championship game with the way seeding is shaping up now. unless one of them goes on a crazy losing streak

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2023, 11:26 AM   #412
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

What a crazy weekend and Monday of football. Ravens and Dolphins are the kings of the AFC. 49'ers are still the kings of the NFC but they showed again how susceptible even when 1 or 2 key players are out. I'm also pissed at the 49'ers for how they managed their offense in the 4th quarter for fantasy football reasons. I was winning my playoff matchup with McCaffrey having a big game. The 49'ers (mainly Sam Darnold) decided to stop giving the ball to McCaffrey and slinged it around to everyone else. A couple of those receptions late in the game to Aiyuk sunk my week and I lost by a couple points. Fantasy football isn't worth the frustration. Too much of it is just plain luck....

And now my Vikings which are getting worse by the week: Nick Mullens is trying to be Brett Favre with far less talent. There is nearly a minute left in the game and he tried to force the ball to Jefferson in the endzone which resulted in an interception. We had too much time left in the game to be that desperate. Even if that play wins and Jefferson scores a TD we leave the Lions with about 50 seconds left with Detroit only needing a field goal to win. 98% chance they would have marched down the field and won the game anyways. Good lord I miss Kirk Cousins and hope we can sign him to another deal and he stays healthy. I'm afraid that if we don't resign Cousins then Jefferson might want to leave. And I saw that Hockenson tore a couple ligaments. Yikes what a bad season.
      12-27-2023, 01:39 PM   #413
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

I'm loving the Bailey Zappe redemption arc, and the Ravens blowing up the Niners.
      12-27-2023, 08:09 PM   #414
Josh-PA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2, n55 e88, B58 G05

It's funny how quiet this thread got when the eagles and cowboys started shitting the bed. For the record I have nothing nice to say about my team at the moment.
Appreciate 3
GERMAN M34182.00
JMcLellan2126.00
Torgus3781.50
      12-28-2023, 12:42 PM   #415
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

JMcLellan I'm worried we aren't getting to .500 or the first wildcard game. But, any given Sunday. . .

I did distribute $990 in pool winnings to family on Monday!!!
      12-28-2023, 03:33 PM   #416
lakefront
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Macan GTS

As a Packer fan, hoping the Vikes run up a ton of points on Sunday.....anything to get rid of the clown running our defense. At this point, Packers aren't good enough to deserve the playoffs.....but in a couple years, watch out.
Appreciate 1
JMcLellan2126.00
      12-29-2023, 04:07 PM   #417
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
JMcLellan I'm worried we aren't getting to .500 or the first wildcard game. But, any given Sunday. . .

I did distribute $990 in pool winnings to family on Monday!!!
Yeah things don't look great. Lets hope to hold up against the Packers and then face the Lions who might have nothing to play for that final week. Even if we win both our remaining games it's still only 50/50. Congrats on the moneys!!
      12-29-2023, 04:08 PM   #418
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As a Packer fan, hoping the Vikes run up a ton of points on Sunday.....anything to get rid of the clown running our defense. At this point, Packers aren't good enough to deserve the playoffs.....but in a couple years, watch out.
I need to take a screenshot of this. Never thought I would see this sentiment from a Packers fan