Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

03-04-2014, 12:20 PM   #23
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by karussell View Post
really wish nissan would take another page out of the porsche book and make a version of the GT-R rear wheel drive. lighten it up as much as possible. god forbid offer a manual transmission in it. call it widowmaker edition. sold. wouldn't car what it looked like. how many doors. use interior from an R32. fine with me. haha.

this sedan sounds like a japanese AWD E63 AMG. its not gonna have the personality of a gtr even if the heart is related.
      03-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #24
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Not sure why people are mentioning GTR interior. It's an Infiniti Q50 and will have same interior no? Use google and type in Infiniti Q50 interior and you get:

Now what transmission and tech it'll have, that's another story. Very interesting car for sure.
I'm not trying to be snarky, but as an F10 M5 owner with Full Merino Leather I have to say that interior looks really cheap. As I mentioned in my other post, the Japanese haven't yet mastered some of the ergonomics, material, and luxury aspects that really make some very nice. The only JDM-ish interiors I have been impressed with, which is going to sound really strange, is Kia. I'm not talking about U.S. market Kia's though. I'm talking about Korean market Kia's. In South Korea, some of there Kia's there are on the same level as a Mercedes S Class in terms of luxuriousness. It's really weird.

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 12:33 PM   #25
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
I'm not trying to be snarky, but as an F10 M5 owner with Full Merino Leather I have to say that interior looks really cheap. As I mentioned in my other post, the Japanese haven't yet mastered some of the ergonomics, material, and luxury aspects that really make some very nice. The only JDM-ish interiors I have been impressed with, which is going to sound really strange, is Kia. I'm not talking about U.S. market Kia's though. I'm talking about Korean market Kia's. In South Korea, some of there Kia's there are on the same level as a Mercedes S Class in terms of luxuriousness. It's really weird.
Q50 is a 3 Series rival, not a 5 Series rival. And 3/4 interior is the worst in its class.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 12:36 PM   #26
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
I'm definitely not saying it's on par with an F10 M5 interior (far from it), but it's certainly a step up from the GTR. Not sure why the GTR's interior is being brought up when we are talking about an Infiniti Q50.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 12:48 PM   #27
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
I think of this car as a Japanese Cadillac CTS-V. Sure it will be fast, sure it will handle well, sure it might have a few luxury appointments, sure it might have some of the latest tech, aside from all that though, I think it will be on the same level as the CTS-V and maybe with similar pricing. The last generation CTS-V was already making nearly the same horsepower and way more torque, had some nice luxury aspects, was priced $30-$40k less than an M5, and did that car sell like hotcakes? Nope.
Fair points. I do think there are a couple significant differences here.

First off, the GTR is now legendary and if this car performs similar (0-60 in about 3s, mid/low 7:xx Nurburgring times, etc.) with that same pedigree it is going to be a major ground shaking event in the segment. The CTS-V borrowed the ZR-1 drivetrain but didn't really perform like one (mainly because it was much heavier, which this "Q50-GTR" would likely not be in comparison to the GTR itself). In fact it was bested on tracks by the E90 M3 in some tests, despite it's giant power advantage. By contrast, there is no test where an E92 M3 comes anywhere near upsetting a GTR.

Secondly, the CTS itself was still gathering a following in its second generation, and not yet considered a serious contender by the automotive enthusiast world at large. In fact, it was still in its transition from a car competing in price with the 3 Series range et. al. to, as part of a long term strategy, a car that would compete in luxury, refinement, performance, and, yes, price, with the 5 Series and the usual suspects in that class. The Q50 though (formerly G35, G37) has long established itself as a legitimate competitor against the German trio. There is almost surely a pent up demand for a high performance variant of the car to finally challenge the German AMG/M/RS trio.

Now, this assumes an all-inclusive take-home TTL price for this car that does not go above $85k with options. That's the key here. Are they going to enter the market where the hot ticket is, or sit out and sell to the chosen few?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 09:09 PM   #28
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

And to think i was excited about a potential lexus gs-f with the is-f motor. This thing is much more fancy
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 10:33 PM   #29
basscadet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3

Quote:

Me personally, I wouldn't be caught dead in an Infiniti, even if it came with performance that equaled or bettered the F10 M5, but came with 3/4's the luxury, utility, comfort, convenience, and technology that the F10 M5 has.
If you want to put up the technology of a F10 M5 against a GT-R you are walking into a gunfight with a knife. The F10 M5 is a tank built off of a 7-series platform using a trumped-up version of a pedestrian BMW N63tu engine that you can also find in an SUV. The GT-R has an AWD system that BMW couldn't dream of, a hand-built engine that is generally regarded as one of the best ever put into a street car, and has every convenience of the M5 (except 4 doors). Even better, it is safe to drive in all weather conditions without requiring noisy, heavy winter tires.

If you want to sacrifice performance for comfort, the M5 is your car. Personally I found the CTS-V a much more engaging albet "simpler" and more raw car which is why when I sold my GT-R I bought a CTS-V after very disappointing test drives in the M5. Not only is the M5 no longer the king of the sports sedans, it's not even in the top 5 with the Panamera, CTS-V, C63, E63, and Tesla all beating it out in terms of driver enjoyment. JUST my opinion.

Last edited by basscadet; 03-04-2014 at 10:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 02:22 AM   #30
lux
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2, 2011 E90 M3 Comp

I don't think an M5 is a good comparison for this vehicle (of course depending on Nissan pricing). This looks like it is targeted at the c63/RS4/M3/ISF crowd--more bent towards sport than luxury versus the M5/E63.

I hope they put in a similar AWD system from the GTR to make up for the lack of a true DCT. So many great cars coming out in the coming years!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 03:44 AM   #31
N.S.A
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 Blue Sapphire Metallic

Quote:
I think of this car as a Japanese Cadillac CTS-V. Sure it will be fast, sure it will handle well, sure it might have a few luxury appointments, sure it might have some of the latest tech, aside from all that though, I think it will be on the same level as the CTS-V and maybe with similar pricing. The last generation CTS-V was already making nearly the same horsepower and way more torque, had some nice luxury aspects, was priced $30-$40k less than an M5, and did that car sell like hotcakes? Nope.

I think the biggest single factor in a possible future 4-Door GTR-ish car will be the market price that Infiniti demands for it. If they demand over $100k for it, then who would be willing to pay that for an Infiniti. Kind of the same thing happened with the Lexus LFA. $400k for an incredible sports car, but your still only driving a Lexus. Some people care about that, others don't.

Me personally, I wouldn't be caught dead in an Infiniti, even if it came with performance that equaled or bettered the F10 M5, but came with 3/4's the luxury, utility, comfort, convenience, and technology that the F10 M5 has. Plus I don't care for AWD on a Sports Sedan. If I wanted that, I'd go buy an Audi. If a future 4-Door AWD GTR is in fact made, I have a feeling that like the current 2-Door GTR it will have no feeling. That is to say it will still feel like driving a robot, there will not be enough sensation, feedback, and puristic driving pleasure as I get with my F10 M5. For someone who only cares about speed, sure go buy the new Infiniti GTR, have at it I say.

I do like the fact that JDM companies are trying to break into new markets though. It's just that a lot of the little things that the Germans have been perfecting for year and years will not be present in any high performance JDM Sports Sedan. In the end, I love the fact that Nissan and Infiniti are playing with this idea. It only inspires competition and from a consumers point of view competition is a very good thing.
I agree with everything your saying except the part about the cts V not selling. That car today is till very hot, I See them everywhere like M3s. I much rather have a CTS V over a infinity GTR. that car was amazing until you get past 20k miles that car starts becoming loose in terms it feels like the suspension is loose and the seats had one for 2 years. But I doubt it will sell quick. But saying who will pay 100k for infinity gtr? it is going to be on the same field as a Jaguar XF-RS. which barely sells. Meaning it will sell for that price but I wont buy it
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 07:53 PM   #32
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Q50 is a 3 Series rival, not a 5 Series rival. And 3/4 interior is the worst in its class.
Is the 3/4 series interior really worst in class? Not sure I agree.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 09:56 AM   #33
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

I had an 05 - G35x sedan for a few years when I lived in the North where deep snow was routine and a yearly guarantee. It was an awesome car. Sounded great stock, wonderful power, the AWD was very good and paired with a set of blizzak tires was unstoppable.

Yes it was heavy - actually good in the snow
No it didn't handle like a BMW
Yes traction control sucked - wore out my front pads constantly when trying to have fun in snow.

It was comfy, fun, had all the bells and whistles of the time and for the money it couldn't really be beat for an AWD lux sport 4dr.

I guess its easy to hate on Infinity lately but they do make a quality product, can't argue with that.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 03:00 PM   #34
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Not sure why people are mentioning GTR interior. It's an Infiniti Q50 and will have same interior no? Use google and type in Infiniti Q50 interior and you get:

Now what transmission and tech it'll have, that's another story. Very interesting car for sure.
This.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 04:17 PM   #35
ixse
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 boxster s

yep.. wOnt be into production. cant justify profit margin and sale volume.. infinity has been on a down hill slope sInce g37 due to lack of design change and engine advancements.. they dont have room to venture into something like this.. make some new dam engines other than VQ motors. VQ eats gas all day and lack power output by todays std.
Appreciate 0