BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Ioniq 5N Throttle House review

05-13-2024, 01:55 PM   #23
dizz81
Moving on
Rep
Drives: 22 CT5V Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Imagine being the type of person who gets mad at a new and different car out on the market.

Every review I've seen of this car has been overwhelmingly positive. Even Misha was blown away by it at the ring. The car brings joy to everyone I've seen drive it, and above anything else, that's what matters.

It's not for me, but I still think it's pretty damn cool. I dig it.
Crazy how people have different opinions and when they voice something other than what others have, they're considered "Mad"

Craziness lol.

I guess we all have to have the same opinion and just accept what others say or how we should feel about something.
22 CT5V Blackwing (Ruby)
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh18659.50
kyriian938.50
      05-13-2024, 02:03 PM   #24
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizz81 View Post
Crazy how people have different opinions and when they voice something other than what others have, they're considered "Mad"

Nah. People's opinions are different. I'm talking about people actually getting mad.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 02:53 PM   #25
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
First things first. It's hideous. Like, really ugly. It doesn't look futuristic, it is the automotive equivalent of Soviet cold war high rose apartments.

Secondly, it's 66k for what amounts to an electric Hyundai golf R. Yes it is crazy fast and yest it has but loads of power. But you can get a used model s plain for that, or any model 3 or model y you want, brand new, and have a bunch of money leftover. As others have pointed out, that's a lot of money that buys you a lot of other cars that are also fun.

Third, the resale on this is just gonna be BRUTAL. Hyundai's aren't exactly known for high resale value, nor are EVs, nor are performance editions of cars. These are probably gonna lose 50% in the first 6-12 months from new

I appreciate that they're at least trying to make fun EVs. But honestly it feels like icing on a turd. An ugly, expensive turd that's gonna get shoved down your throat by unelected bureaucrats.

I guess I just don't see the value prop. It's an expensive but fairly small hatchback. It might be fun but it's got pretty meh range and realistically you're not gonna track it.
Appreciate 1
dizz81485.50
      05-13-2024, 05:04 PM   #26
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Props to Hyundai for trying. Americans aren't buying cars at all, let alone the 30k+ premium for an EV, not even considering the infrastructure costs at integrating it into one's lifestyle. They won't be selling many of them, so I guess we'll call it a "loss leader" like every single Ford offering. Except the loss leads to nowhere.

It's just an ironic twist of fate that "they" forced all the global automakers into EVs (in unison, weird) and now they are forced to try to sell them to a weary, broke public and the main selling point is still "save the environment."
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 06:27 PM   #27
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Props to Hyundai for trying. Americans aren't buying cars at all, let alone the 30k+ premium for an EV, not even considering the infrastructure costs at integrating it into one's lifestyle. They won't be selling many of them, so I guess we'll call it a "loss leader" like every single Ford offering. Except the loss leads to nowhere.

It's just an ironic twist of fate that "they" forced all the global automakers into EVs (in unison, weird) and now they are forced to try to sell them to a weary, broke public and the main selling point is still "save the environment."
The real irony is that "they" still fly private jets, own giant yachts, and own exotic cars that are exempt from such rules that the vehicles for the commoners must meet.
Appreciate 2
dizz81485.50
      05-14-2024, 07:20 AM   #28
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
Faster is faster, nobody cares why.

I am pretty sure they will be a market for tuning an electric car at some point. It's purely via Software, no hardware needed.
Absolutely hardware is needed.

The battery pack and motors can only handle so much power, you increase current, you introduce more heat.

It's like overclocking a PC on wheels, you really want to deal with a fire with EVs?

And of course people care why cars are faster, there's a reason why you got honda civic hatches that weigh 2000lbs with a giant turbo gapping everything.
      05-14-2024, 08:15 AM   #29
Ohio Enthusiast
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 E93 335i, '18 BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lens View Post
The battery pack and motors can only handle so much power, you increase current, you introduce more heat.

It's like overclocking a PC on wheels, you really want to deal with a fire with EVs?
Not that different than ICE tuning - they too reduce the safety margin the manufacturer built in. EVs could also use time-limited power boost (like some models already offer) where you'd be able to use the extra power for X seconds every Y minutes to allow everything to cool off.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2024, 08:38 AM   #30
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
Not that different than ICE tuning - they too reduce the safety margin the manufacturer built in. EVs could also use time-limited power boost (like some models already offer) where you'd be able to use the extra power for X seconds every Y minutes to allow everything to cool off.
Yeah, but this is Hyundai we're talking about.

The same brand that has had multiple fire recalls on their vehicles.
      05-14-2024, 02:57 PM   #31
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
Only in some cases. In many cases modifying the cars does nothing to reduce safety margin and the power comes from reducing heat, adding complexity to parts and cost, etc. Long tube headers are a great example, manufacturers don't use them because they're expensive to produce, and don't work well with an assembly line. Cast manifolds are cheaper, and allow you to drop the engine directly down in the car on the line with manifolds on, and then connect to the rest of the exhaust. Long tubes have to be finessed into place.
Appreciate 2
      05-14-2024, 11:25 PM   #32
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Yeah, but this is Hyundai we're talking about.

The same brand that has had multiple fire recalls on their vehicles.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox...-fire-risk.amp

I just gonna leave this here for you...
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25259.00
      05-14-2024, 11:45 PM   #33
x622
Forced Induction Connoisseur
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC / 23 720s

Garage List
2024 G87 M2  [0.00]
2023 Mclaren 720s  [0.00]
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
1964 Ford Mustang  [0.00]
1968 Pontiac GTO  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW4LYF View Post
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox...-fire-risk.amp

I just gonna leave this here for you...
https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases...i-park-outside

Likewise.

I'd say having a big ol' collection of lithium batteries is a hair more flammable.
      05-15-2024, 12:29 AM   #34
dizz81
Moving on
Rep

Hilarious to me both of you listed recalls due to "electrical fires"
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 03:35 PM   #35
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
I'm fairly anti-EV like most enthusiasts. The Ioniq 5N is probably the most interesting prospect I've seen short of a Porsche Taycan TurboS, which is in supercar pricing territory.

I'd potentially consider one as a daily driver in a couple years when they depreciate into the low 30s. My commute is only 12 miles each way.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 03:59 PM   #36
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M550i; Swift Sport 6MT; EV6 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfarrzhp View Post
I'm fairly anti-EV like most enthusiasts. The Ioniq 5N is probably the most interesting prospect I've seen short of a Porsche Taycan TurboS, which is in supercar pricing territory.

I'd potentially consider one as a daily driver in a couple years when they depreciate into the low 30s. My commute is only 12 miles each way.
i'm anti EV until i drove a Kia right after testing a base F90 M5. both had very similar 0-60 and 40-80 times.

they are different cars but one was not better than the other. i thought the Kia handled better than the M5 even though it had 255 PS4S vs 285s on the M5. could just be faked by the pedal response and regen (regen simulates the engine braking of a manual).

i kept my 550 and bought the Kia (less than half the price of the base M5 and 1/3 of the price of the Comp LCI) and the wife immediately hijacked it.

now can i have a G81 CS please ....

Last edited by G30M; 05-16-2024 at 08:13 PM..
Appreciate 1
gblansten2383.50
      05-16-2024, 08:34 PM   #37
dizz81
Moving on
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30M View Post
i'm anti EV until i drove a Kia right after testing a base F90 M5. both had very similar 0-60 and 40-80 times.

they are different cars but one was not better than the other. i thought the Kia handled better than the M5 even though it had 255 PS4S vs 285s on the M5. could just be faked by the pedal response and regen (regen simulates the engine braking of a manual).

i kept my 550 and bought the Kia (less than half the price of the base M5 and 1/3 of the price of the Comp LCI) and the wife immediately hijacked it.

now can i have a G81 CS please ....
Sooo let me get this straight. You're saying a Kia weighing 4900lbs handled better than an M5 at 4300lbs?

You're either delusional or it just goes to show how far BMW has fallen when it comes to their M cars.

I'm in no way trying to be an asshole but that's a pretty bold statement.
22 CT5V Blackwing (Ruby)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 08:44 PM   #38
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Sooo let me get this straight. You're saying a Kia weighing 4900lbs handled better than an M5 at 4300lbs?

You're either delusional or it just goes to show how far BMW has fallen when it comes to their M cars.

The batteries in the floor of the EVs tend to keep the center of gravity pretty low. I haven't driven the car and obviously the low COG comes with a weight penalty. But many of the EVs handle better than you might expect due to that.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 07:59 AM   #39
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

People are really bad at telling how well vehicles handle on test drives... And in general. To be fair, it's a pretty poorly defined term.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 02:54 PM   #40
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

i can tell you haven't tested the Kia GT.

i have and that's my experience.

it wasn't on a race track but on a very windy public road with 25-35mph corners.

tested it back to back.

the Kia absolutely trashed my M340i and M550i, i sold the M340i after getting the Kia. the 550 can compete, definitely more refined and has the V8 soul but that's about it. in terms of soul yeah the EV has none but it performs better in my life without having access to tracks. if i'm travelling alone i drive the V8 but the kia is more comfortable with me missus 3 teens and their gear. can't fit these things in the 340 or 550.

i've also done quarter mile runs (high 11s) at will without it making any noise to attract attention. i'm always scared when gassing the BMWs in case it makes too much noise and attract unwanted attention.

the weight penalty shows in higher speed corners where the M340i wins but they at the limits of grip you don't find on public roads at legal speeds. the M5 should beat the Kia on a racetrack but not on public roads. The M3 will i think but I don't have one.

if i am a rich man and have no teens to ferry and get to choose between the GT and the M5 i will take the BMW because the M5 is now extinct. we have a few more years to get the M3 before they too go extinct but I'm not sure i can stand the touchscreen. (the Kia has buttons)

Last edited by G30M; 05-17-2024 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
gblansten2383.50
      05-21-2024, 01:05 PM   #41
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
People are really bad at telling how well vehicles handle on test drives... And in general. To be fair, it's a pretty poorly defined term.
^

I don't trust most people who say a certain car handles better than another unless they have heavy track time, or are very well known for racing.

Your standard Joe blow who takes the car from A to B or a small backroads with little turns can't know how well a car handles.

If you're saying a KIA handles better than an M car, I want to know what drugs you're on.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 01:17 PM   #42
dizz81
Moving on
Rep

Quote:
^

I don't trust most people who say a certain car handles better than another unless they have heavy track time, or are very well known for racing.

Your standard Joe blow who takes the car from A to B or a small backroads with little turns can't know how well a car handles.

If you're saying a KIA handles better than an M car, I want to know what drugs you're on.
That's why I said what I said. Saying a Kia beats an M car in handling is a very BOLD statement.

Maybe BMW M cars have just fallen that far off that Kia now competes with them.
22 CT5V Blackwing (Ruby)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2024, 09:01 PM   #43
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
^

i don't know if you trust this guy (watch from 4 mins to 6 mins), he says there is no understeer in the Kia, and it corners better than a Taycan

the no understeer bit is exactly what i'm feeling. the M5 has understeer. i also said I think the M3 will be better but this steers about the same, maybe better than the M5 I tested, on public roads

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2024, 06:47 AM   #44
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
^

Eh, I have roads near me in Virginia (and a bunch in West Virginia) that are much better than most tracks I've seen. They are much harder to drive on with varied pavement conditions and changing wetness and temperature conditions (most run through the forests I live in), all which require attention and reaction to grip levels as you first drive on them. Then throw in the threat of wildlife obstacles, and how well a car handles becomes obviously apparent.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0