BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #23
Bug Rx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 x5 xdrive50i

I really don't understand all this talk about which engine is more economical and fuel efficient. These are $70k+ cars! If you can afford the car, you can afford the gas that goes along with it! The difference in money saved for each fuel type is absolutely not worth that factoring decision! Go with the faster of the two! Have some fun! Lol

Just my opinion!

And I don't think when someone looks at you in your BMW that they are thinking about how economical you are! Lol
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #24
darksilkx1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Monthly Payment

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
This may be the best point yet. I just priced out a US diesel vs gas per the exact specs I ordered in a 35i and price is in fact exactly the 1500 difference in base price. I don't know how the lease programs compare, but your point holds true regardless. Cost difference is minimal however you slice it, so it comes back to the standard answer, drive them both and decide for yourself which better suits your needs and desires....
Don't forget that the pricing on there doesn't include a possible ECO credit which was $4500 on the E70. That credit made the diesel cheaper than the gas in the E70 generation (granted the E70 lease residual for the diesel was also a little lower so BMW could recoup some of the ECO credit from lessees). If they offer the same credit for the F15 the math won't be as straightforward.
      10-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #25
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
To me, the gas engine is much more responsive and fun to drive than the diesel. I can't understand why someone would spend so much on a vehicle and then pick a powertrain based on an expected savings of $100 a year.
I dont think people who buy diesel pick powertrain just for savings, because it's not the case
To me, it's convenience and different driving experience (if you're not towing)
There has been always debate between 35d and 35i no matter what model it is
People always try to convince each other which I-6 is better
It's a matter of taste
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #26
AEC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyATC View Post
It's a matter of taste
Agree 100%
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #27
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz
Definitely the exception, the N54s could have issues with the HPFP, injectors and wastegate all of which have been updated throughout the years to fix issues. I haven't heard of any of the same issues with the N55, other then an occasional problem here and there which you can have with any vehicle.
Fewer moving parts coupled with the lessons learned on the N54 has shown the N55 to be the far more reliable engine.

Given the ubiquity in the line-up (every model is offered with the N55), I'd feel pretty good about the engineering some 5 years into it's life (first introduced in 2009 in EMEA).

Honestly- given the pressures they run, their sensitivity to fuel quality and the multiple turbos/waste gates... if you're really worried about reliability, I would double-take on the 35d. These aren't the bullet-proof, 300k mile, glo-plug diesels of the past. It takes a whole lot of potentially fragile tech to get these specific outputs on an oil burner. I wouldn't assume that it will be more reliable than the N55.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #28
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmPower View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. As I mentioned earlier; the N54/ 55 have been notorious with some issue or another. I have read and experienced way too many 'limp' modes for my liking. Even to this day owners of F30 335i's are experiencing limp modes. My question is have these motors gotten more reliable over time, or are these issues more the exception than the norm?
FWIW, we've got a 2011 X3 and 2013 MSport 3 series, both with N55 motor. My wife's X3 has nearly 40k on it and has been absolutely bullet proof. My 335i (8k miles) has had limp mode twice. Annoying but nothing I am too worried about. It seems like the F30 related limp modes are all attributed to MSport models.

I've been following the F25 and F30 forums very cloesly over the past couple years and the N55 seems to be really solid. I've yet to see any HPFP failures like we saw with the N54s or any real problematic patterns. I wouldn't hesitate buying another N55 vehicle. And for what it's worth, the N55 coupled wit hthe ZF 8spd is a really nice match. We have seen 29 mpg on the X3 35i on a 200+ mile road trip. Pretty impressive and well above BMWs claims.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 09:42 AM   #29
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
FWIW, we've got a 2011 X3 and 2013 MSport 3 series, both with N55 motor. My wife's X3 has nearly 40k on it and has been absolutely bullet proof. My 335i (8k miles) has had limp mode twice. Annoying but nothing I am too worried about. It seems like the F30 related limp modes are all attributed to MSport models.

I've been following the F25 and F30 forums very cloesly over the past couple years and the N55 seems to be really solid. I've yet to see any HPFP failures like we saw with the N54s or any real problematic patterns. I wouldn't hesitate buying another N55 vehicle. And for what it's worth, the N55 coupled wit hthe ZF 8spd is a really nice match. We have seen 29 mpg on the X3 35i on a 200+ mile road trip. Pretty impressive and well above BMWs claims.
+1. I have the N55 on my F30 and doing about 90% highway, I've gotten 28 mpg consistently for 17,000+ miles so far (in about 8 months time) with zero issues. Small sample size regarding reliability, but a lot of miles in a short period of time. I also agree whole heartedly about the N55+ZF 8spd. I have the sport auto and it is extremely smooth and responsive with the engine. I felt the same way in the F15 35i M Sport (has the sport auto as well) that I test drove and subsequently ordered.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #30
SCBMW02
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i and 2022 Z4 M40i

Garage List
Good discussion. I traded a 2007 X5 which had the non turbo 6 for the diesel because I wanted the better power along with better mpg. Given the mpg for the new 35i, the extra cost of the vehicle and the diesel fuel along with the fact the N55 is probably more fun, I think I am going back to gas. I suppose if diesel were the same price as premium, if it got way better mpg (don't know yet) and if there is another eco and or tax credit up front it might make me think, but I am leaning more toward fun to drive factor.
Appreciate 0