BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Help with interior color and trim on new X1

09-06-2024, 03:06 PM   #23
Lantirn
Private
Rep
Drives: E87 conv, F20, U11 25e

In my opinion:
  • Go with the aluminum mesh effect, you cant scratch it but most importantly, because sometimes you will need to rest fingers and touch it in order to operate the screen, you will leave marks on the piano black. So piano black is a big no no. Didnt regret that! Seen friends with piano black having a towel handy all the time to clear these marks
  • I would go with the black interior, but I would suggest going leather if you insist on oyster. I have seen a friends wife car with oyster, not leather and it really shows damage if not you are very careful. On the other side, leather can withstand everything with minimal maintenance.

Below my setup, aluminum mesh with black leather.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lantirn; 09-06-2024 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2024, 03:07 PM   #24
Xdrive30
Registered
Rep
Drives: iX1 xdrive30

BMW offers a special cleaning spray for the Eucalyptus wood interior.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2024, 03:28 PM   #25
saltydog
Rep
Drives: 2024 MB GLE 53 2025 X1 M35i

In my 2025 M35 I went with black alcantra sport seats and wood.
I have the same blue exterior. Still waiting for car though.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2024, 04:01 PM   #26
SnowCover
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 330i, '23 X1, '25 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdrive30 View Post
BMW offers a special cleaning spray for the Eucalyptus wood interior.

Can I polish that eucalyptus wood using wood polish?(for cello)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2024, 01:43 AM   #27
FZI89
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW iX1, U11

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantirn View Post
In my opinion:

Go with the aluminum mesh effect, you cant scratch it but most importantly, because sometimes you will need to rest fingers and touch it in order to operate the screen, you will leave marks on the piano black. So piano black is a big no no. Didnt regret that! Seen friends with piano black having a towel handy all the time to clear these marks
I would go with the black interior, but I would suggest going leather if you insist on oyster. I have seen a friends wife car with oyster, not leather and it really shows damage if not you are very careful. On the other side, leather can withstand everything with minimal maintenance.

Nice clean setup! I’m just wondering how you managed to get alunminium mesh with the M sport trim.

At least in Austria and Germany, aluminium mesh is exclusive to X-Line, and aluminium hexacube is exclusive to M Sport
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2024, 03:06 AM   #28
Lantirn
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZI89 View Post
Nice clean setup! I’m just wondering how you managed to get alunminium mesh with the M sport trim.

At least in Austria and Germany, aluminium mesh is exclusive to X-Line, and aluminium hexacube is exclusive to M Sport
Thanks! Its an xline. I added the M on the doors.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2024, 03:09 AM   #29
FZI89
Captain
Austria
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks! Its an xline. I added the M on the doors.
And the M Steering wheel too?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2024, 03:24 AM   #30
Lantirn
Private
Rep

Quote:
And the M Steering wheel too?
In the configurator I could select M steering wheel via selecting the shifters and adaptive M suspension on the xline model. Also black trim roof!

As far as I am aware these are not selectable now in the configurator.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2024, 03:26 AM   #31
FZI89
Captain
Austria
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
In the configurator I could select M steering wheel via selecting the shifters on the xline model and adaptive M suspension. Also black trim roof!

As far as I am aware these are not selectable now in the configurator.
Interesting!

You’re right, if you select the M steering wheel now, it automatically switches to M Sport trim instead of X-Line

Appreciate 1
Lantirn29.50
      09-07-2024, 02:47 PM   #32
DiscoDude
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Honda '03 Accord

Quote:
In my opinion:
  • Go with the aluminum mesh effect, you cant scratch it but most importantly, because sometimes you will need to rest fingers and touch it in order to operate the screen, you will leave marks on the piano black. So piano black is a big no no. Didnt regret that! Seen friends with piano black having a towel handy all the time to clear these marks
  • I would go with the black interior, but I would suggest going leather if you insist on oyster. I have seen a friends wife car with oyster, not leather and it really shows damage if not you are very careful. On the other side, leather can withstand everything with minimal maintenance.

Thanks for this picture and suggestion. Are the fingerprints on the black from fiddling with the air vents or? I'm a bit torn between the black and aluminum mesh. Right now, in my Honda, everything is black pretty much - and if I go aluminum, I'm wondering if that horizontal strip of color might distract me compared to black lol.

P.S. I wish we could get leather here in the USA but instead its the synthetic leather/perforated options only.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2024, 04:45 PM   #33
markronnie
New BMW Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1 28i

Garage List
2024 BMW X1 28i  [9.00]
The synthetic material used on the 2024 seats are soft, supportive & comfortable. I wish BMW would have included or at least had an option for “VENTILATED” seats. Its a great feature to have. I don’t understand why they don’t. It’s a feature worth more to me than the WORTHLESS WIRELESS CHARGER that works like 💩 crap. Hardly keeps up with phones battery drain when using WiFi & Bluetooth.

It’s supposed to be a luxury premium vehicle. My 2019 Acura RDX Advance has VENTILATED seats & is used a lot in the summer
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2024, 05:08 PM   #34
SnowCover
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by markronnie View Post
The synthetic material used on the 2024 seats are soft, supportive & comfortable. I wish BMW would have included or at least had an option for “VENTILATED” seats. Its a great feature to have. I don’t understand why they don’t. It’s a feature worth more to me than the WORTHLESS WIRELESS CHARGER that works like �� crap. Hardly keeps up with phones battery drain when using WiFi & Bluetooth.

It’s supposed to be a luxury premium vehicle. My 2019 Acura RDX Advance has VENTILATED seats & is used a lot in the summer
I chose not to have the Sensatec(2023) in my X1 when I ordered it because it felt warmer in the summer. My salesman recommended the synthetic suede-like Alcantera seat and he was right. They keep me cool enough when getting into the car on a hot day. Of course, ventilated seats with actual fans are better, which my former cheap minivan had.

Did BMW discontinue the Alcantera seat option for 2024? I have not seen one in a long time.

Last edited by SnowCover; 09-07-2024 at 06:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2024, 06:29 PM   #35
jsosa11
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Oyster with black provided a beautiful contrast.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2024, 12:13 AM   #36
FZI89
Captain
Austria
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDude View Post
Thanks for this picture and suggestion. Are the fingerprints on the black from fiddling with the air vents or? I'm a bit torn between the black and aluminum mesh. Right now, in my Honda, everything is black pretty much - and if I go aluminum, I'm wondering if that horizontal strip of color might distract me compared to black lol.

P.S. I wish we could get leather here in the USA but instead its the synthetic leather/perforated options only.
You’re putting too much thought into this 😅

I think many people have have regretted choosing the piano black trim. It really is a fingerprint magnet. If you reach the touchscreen, you’ll have palm print below the screen on the black trim, if you see a speck of dust and want to wipe it off, you’ll have smearing. It looks nice when clean, but it only stays clean for about an hour.

You will not be distracted by the aluminium mesh.

Stick with what you have already chosen. It’s a great combo.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2024, 12:32 AM   #37
DiscoDude
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
You’re putting too much thought into this 😅

I think many people have have regretted choosing the piano black trim. It really is a fingerprint magnet. If you reach the touchscreen, you’ll have palm print below the screen on the black trim, if you see a speck of dust and want to wipe it off, you’ll have smearing. It looks nice when clean, but it only stays clean for about an hour.

You will not be distracted by the aluminium mesh.

Stick with what you have already chosen. It’s a great combo.
Yeah I'm over-thinking this I know! I'm just a perfectionist so trying to get it all right. I might hop over to the dealership one more time tomorrow just to look inside or I might just sleep on it and be fine.

I appreciate all of the input - including yours! I have watched many youtube videos where car reviewers complain about piano black being inside everywhere!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2024, 12:37 AM   #38
FZI89
Captain
Austria
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah I'm over-thinking this I know! I'm just a perfectionist so trying to get it all right. I might hop over to the dealership one more time tomorrow just to look inside or I might just sleep on it and be fine.

I appreciate all of the input - including yours! I have watched many youtube videos where car reviewers complain about piano black being inside everywhere!
Haha fair!

Yes! Piano black is literally everywhere these days! This is why I love the interior of the X1. Piano black is kept to a bare minimum (unless you opt for the piano black trim of course).
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2024, 03:22 AM   #39
Lantirn
Private
Rep

Quote:

I changed my mind many times, and this was because I saw the different actual configs in friends cars. My car took almost one year to be delivered and I had the time to change equipment 4-5 times. My dealer would like to kill me

I also started with oyster synthetic and piano black but no.

Last edited by Lantirn; 09-08-2024 at 06:23 AM..
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2024, 05:55 PM   #40
DiscoDude
Enlisted Member
Rep

So I went over to the dealership today to chat about deciding between piano black and the aluminum mesh trim. Turns out my vehicle got locked into production today so it'll be aluminum mesh. Honestly I'm glad - I wanted the clock to runout so I wouldn't change it to piano black - I'm sure it'll be fine and most everyone here and around the internet doesn't like piano black for prints and scratches. I was just thinking the aluminum might be distracting from the black but I'm guessing not - and I'll get used to it - and prob enjoy it with time.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2024, 06:02 PM   #41
SnowCover
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So I went over to the dealership today to chat about deciding between piano black and the aluminum mesh trim. Turns out my vehicle got locked into production today so it'll be aluminum mesh. Honestly I'm glad - I wanted the clock to runout so I wouldn't change it to piano black - I'm sure it'll be fine and most everyone here and around the internet doesn't like piano black for prints and scratches. I was just thinking the aluminum might be distracting from the black but I'm guessing not - and I'll get used to it - and prob enjoy it with time.
that means your X1 is going to be built in a couple of weeks! Hopefully it'll arrive at your dealer before Thanksgiving or Christmas!
Appreciate 1
      09-12-2024, 10:19 PM   #42
DiscoDude
Enlisted Member
Rep

Actually it won't be ready till beginning of December. Takes about 3 months from production to get to the dealership. But I am patient!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2024, 10:52 PM   #43
FZI89
Captain
Austria
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
When a large majority agrees on something, there’s always a good reason for it.

The remaining piano black parts blend in perfectly well and in fact complement the aluminium mesh better than an all-black look. For example, you get a clear distinction between the black trim of the air vents and the aluminium mesh of the body.

You will also not have to wipe the trim on the door every time you open the door to get out (the trim is located directly under the door handle!). Having piano black on the door is the absolute worst if you like a clean looking car.

You will absolutely love that you could not change to piano black
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2024, 01:25 AM   #44
Fish Fingers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 30e M Sport

Glad it's locked OP.....you can forget it now.

Just remembered another issue I had on an Audi with piano black interior.
I had one of those cheap air fresheners the valeters leave in hung on the mirror.
I took it off for a very short time and left it on the piano black trim by the gearstick. It turned the polish milky in a matter of minutes and I never could get it back to normal!

It was the same car that had the Luna Silver interior that started looking dirty.
So both are a no no for me.
Appreciate 1