BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos How do you put a car up on jack stands?

06-14-2024, 12:16 AM   #23
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Don't have a G8x, but doubtful they publish any points, they are intended to be put on lifts to be worked on, they aren't designed with the home-mechanic in-mind these days. The Quick-Jacks are a compromise that does both, has inserts you put in there to lock them in place, etc. There ARE ways to jack up a car to get a jack stand on the "jack points", but they involve two jacks. Jack up car a little bit, stick 2nd jack under tire (danger, wheel may rotate if brake not on and car not properly secured), jack up tire, then put jack stand in original jack location.
      06-14-2024, 06:18 AM   #24
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
You guys here find ways to make everything into a struggle, lol.

Jack up one side, if your car is stiff it will lift that entire side. Insert Jack stands. If the car wasn't stiff enough go lift the other corner of that side up a bit and insert the jack stand. Move to the other side and repeat. Not rocket science here. And get a low profile long reach jack, I have the Daytona from HF and it works awesome for all the sports cars.
Appreciate 2
      06-14-2024, 06:20 AM   #25
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Don't have a G8x, but doubtful they publish any points, they are intended to be put on lifts to be worked on, they aren't designed with the home-mechanic in-mind these days. The Quick-Jacks are a compromise that does both, has inserts you put in there to lock them in place, etc. There ARE ways to jack up a car to get a jack stand on the "jack points", but they involve two jacks. Jack up car a little bit, stick 2nd jack under tire (danger, wheel may rotate if brake not on and car not properly secured), jack up tire, then put jack stand in original jack location.
This has to be the most batshit crazy idea I've ever heard. Don't jack a car up by the tire. That's just stupid.
Appreciate 4
      06-14-2024, 08:16 AM   #26
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichapa View Post
Don't know the process; if this is properly posted as a reply when it is really only a request for additional info. (If not, full apologies.)
I am trying to find where on the G87 are located the center jack points (ie. for both the front and back?) And are these points published by BMW? I have the owner's manual and haven't been able to locate these points.
For context, I hope to use the front center point to raise the vehicle and then place supports on the front side jack points in order to access the area of the front oil radiator.
Any information regarding the process of lifting the vehicle would be greatly appreciated.
I've not seen a G87, but I'd bet BMW has followed the same design principles for its cars for the G87 as it has for the last 25 years or so. I would expect a center-front and center-rear jack points to lift the car with a floor jack and place stands at the lifting-blocks on the rocker panels (sides). The cast iron pumpkin section of the differential serves as the rear jack point. The front jack point should be indicated in some fashion on the front engine cover under the front of the car. Take a look and see what the underside engine cover looks like.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 06-14-2024 at 08:27 AM..
Appreciate 1
celsdogg350.00
      06-14-2024, 08:26 AM   #27
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

These will work too.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-rennstan...nd/18mrs3~rst/
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2024, 02:36 PM   #28
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
Depending on how grippy your garage floor is, another option (that I'm surprised to not see yet) is race ramps, which are only good for all things non-tire related.

I've used a mix of race ramps and a floor jack + jack stand for a few things. Quicker and safer, imo. Drive the front wheels onto the race ramps, jack the rear corner up, insert a jack stand, jack the other side up, insert a jack stand. ONLY do this if you have race ramps with a divot that won't allow the car to roll backwards. I can't think of a lot of use cases for four race ramps other than oil changes, which you'd need quite tall ones for. I love race ramps for diffuser/splitter installations and some cleaning.

One thing I always advocate for is the jack pad insert for your floor jack; people sell them all over the internet in hard rubber, polymer, and metal. Too many goons jacking up cars on pinch welds.
RM73004.00
      06-14-2024, 05:41 PM   #29
a5m
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrandt View Post
Depending on how grippy your garage floor is, another option (that I'm surprised to not see yet) is race ramps, which are only good for all things non-tire related.

I've used a mix of race ramps and a floor jack + jack stand for a few things. Quicker and safer, imo. Drive the front wheels onto the race ramps, jack the rear corner up, insert a jack stand, jack the other side up, insert a jack stand. ONLY do this if you have race ramps with a divot that won't allow the car to roll backwards. I can't think of a lot of use cases for four race ramps other than oil changes, which you'd need quite tall ones for. I love race ramps for diffuser/splitter installations and some cleaning.

One thing I always advocate for is the jack pad insert for your floor jack; people sell them all over the internet in hard rubber, polymer, and metal. Too many goons jacking up cars on pinch welds.
I've actually come to realize this is a great, easy and safe way to get the car up in the air. You can also use wheel chucks on the ramps. Saw someone doing it on YouTube. It works.

Yup can get the jack stand 'adapters' on Amazon or wherever. Used em just recently and they work great without damaging the jack pads/underbody or being unsafe

The jacking up a car by the tire is the most asinine thing I've read on the internet. Don't do that.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2024, 08:02 AM   #30
slilley
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5, plus others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrandt View Post

I've used a mix of race ramps and a floor jack + jack stand for a few things. Quicker and safer, imo. Drive the front wheels onto the race ramps, jack the rear corner up, insert a jack stand, jack the other side up, insert a jack stand. ONLY do this if you have race ramps with a divot that won't allow the car to roll backwards.
I've got a set of Race Ramps products, and they work exceptionally well for most things done under the car - everything except brake and suspension work. Race Ramps also sells wheels chocks, which I'd highly recommend when using any of their ramps while jacking the opposite corners of the car: https://www.raceramps.com/chocks/wheel/p/rr-wc/

For when I'm doing brake and suspension work, the solution I love is Jackpoint Jackstands. You can even stack their Recessed Jack Pads to get the car up an additional 1-4" from the default Jackstands height. Website here: https://jackpointjackstands.com/

I'd love to have a lift, but even the portable ones are too big for my humble little 2-car garage. So the combo of Race Ramps and/or Jackpoint Jackstands solves every need I have -- at reasonable cost and very little space.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2024, 11:07 AM   #31
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Race ramps terrify me. And I've used harbor freight Jack stands, so that should give you an idea of my fear threshold.

There's no way I would get under a car supported only by plastic/composite ramps. Especially ones that are stackable. I could see their value in getting the vehicle.up and then placing Jack stands under the car, but not as a sole means of support

I'm the sort of guy who leaves his jack in place at the same height as my jack stand though. I don't think my wife would notice if the car fell on me in a where near enough time to do anything, let alone her be able to get the car off me. So I take a lot of precautions. I put the wheel under the car too, just in case.
Appreciate 2
      06-15-2024, 11:37 AM   #32
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Such a troll thread... Asking about how to jack a car, jack stands, whatever, then making a statement that you won't don't may work, tire changes as being the most you'll do. Wasting people's time!

I had my M240 up on 4 stands to drop the exhaust and install a Remus along with downpipe... Wasn't hard, but you just need a brain!

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2024, 12:38 PM   #33
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Such a troll thread... Asking about how to jack a car, jack stands, whatever, then making a statement that you won't don't may work, tire changes as being the most you'll do. Wasting people's time!

I had my M240 up on 4 stands to drop the exhaust and install a Remus along with downpipe... Wasn't hard, but you just need a brain!

Good Luck!
What a toxic dude you are, are you charging by the hour like a lawyer? Smh.
Thanks for 'wasting' more time typing a reply. Talk about a useless post.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2024, 12:50 PM   #34
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post

Good Luck!
Doesn't matter. You can ask questions despite not doing the thing you're asking about, doesn't mean it's a troll thread. It's just a discussion. No ones time is wasted? We're all wasting on time on the forums, no matter the post you are still on the forums. The end result is the same.

I really don't get the point of your comment. Everyone learns from 0. You aren't born with all the knowledge. Behavior/comments like yours is what I'd expect from Facebook car groups, not on this forum. Come on man.
Appreciate 2
      06-15-2024, 12:54 PM   #35
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Doesn't matter. You can ask questions despite not doing the thing you're asking about, doesn't mean it's a troll thread. It's just a discussion. No ones time is wasted? We're all wasting on time on the forums, no matter the post you are still on the forums. The end result is the same.

I really don't get the point of your comment. Everyone learns from 0. You aren't born with all the knowledge. Behavior/comments like yours is what I'd expect from Facebook car groups, not on this forum. Come on man.
Tx man, I feel so protected now hahah.

Srsly, I don't get ppl that just wanna jump down ppl's throats and attack right away. I always try to conduct myself online as I would irl. Imagine him trying that for real? Doubtful. Such unpleasantness. So angry lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2024, 12:34 PM   #36
slilley
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5, plus others

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
Race ramps terrify me. And I've used harbor freight Jack stands, so that should give you an idea of my fear threshold.

There's no way I would get under a car supported only by plastic/composite ramps. Especially ones that are stackable. I could see their value in getting the vehicle.up and then placing Jack stands under the car, but not as a sole means of support
Based on that first statement, I assuming you've never used Race Ramps. They are 10x more stable than any jack stand, and I've even got several of the "trusted" ones from companies like Griot's. To me, all jack stands are one weld away from failing, so I only use them as back-ups or to support components I've disconnected like brake calipers.

With Race Ramps, the only problem you can conceivably have is driving up the ramps crooked, or overshooting them. I'm sure this stuff happens. But once the car is up on the Race Ramps, and the wheel chocks are in position, there's no way the car is coming down on top of you. And their Wheel Cribs are even better, because it's impossible for those to fail (but you do have to jack the corner up to get them under the wheels - I highly recommend the 2-piece cribs so you can get the car raised halfway at a time).

I spent the weekend with my legs and *head/body* under my 2018 GTI while it got new brake pads and rotors. I had 3 corners up on the Race Ramp's cribs, while I worked on the brakes with that corner supported by Jackpoint Jackstands. Like you, I always throw the wheel that is off the car under the car. But in this scenario, I had zero concerns with the corners that were up on Race Ramp cribs.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic14926.50
      06-17-2024, 12:47 PM   #37
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slilley View Post
Based on that first statement, I assuming you've never used Race Ramps. They are 10x more stable than any jack stand, and I've even got several of the "trusted" ones from companies like Griot's. To me, all jack stands are one weld away from failing, so I only use them as back-ups or to support components I've disconnected like brake calipers.

With Race Ramps, the only problem you can conceivably have is driving up the ramps crooked, or overshooting them. I'm sure this stuff happens. But once the car is up on the Race Ramps, and the wheel chocks are in position, there's no way the car is coming down on top of you. And their Wheel Cribs are even better, because it's impossible for those to fail (but you do have to jack the corner up to get them under the wheels - I highly recommend the 2-piece cribs so you can get the car raised halfway at a time).

I spent the weekend with my legs and *head/body* under my 2018 GTI while it got new brake pads and rotors. I had 3 corners up on the Race Ramp's cribs, while I worked on the brakes with that corner supported by Jackpoint Jackstands. Like you, I always throw the wheel that is off the car under the car. But in this scenario, I had zero concerns with the corners that were up on Race Ramp cribs.
The safest way to work on any vehicle is to have all four tires off the ground. It is impossible for a car to roll if the tires are suspended in the air. Any quality jackstand from a major manufacturer is not going to fail if used correctly and not overloaded.

I have a Rotary lift. Most of the entire lifting structure is fabricated using welded steel. Welding is an engineering science. I'd gladly sleep under my car when it's on the lift.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2024, 03:37 PM   #38
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by slilley View Post

Couldn't tell you what brand they were, my buddy had a set and they seemed sketchy to me. It just seemed like the plastic could give way because they were basically a frame, you could stack them on top of each other so they were like hollow inside or something like that.

Personally, I just don't really trust plastic ramps. I barely truck Jack stands, and I always buy oversized ones.

Wonder if project farm has ever tested car ramps. Gonna have to check.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2024, 04:06 PM   #39
celsdogg
E4 Mafia
Rep
Drives: E30, E36/5, E46x2, F22, F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I've not seen a G87, but I'd bet BMW has followed the same design principles for its cars for the G87 as it has for the last 25 years or so. I would expect a center-front and center-rear jack points to lift the car with a floor jack and place stands at the lifting-blocks on the rocker panels (sides). The cast iron pumpkin section of the differential serves as the rear jack point. The front jack point should be indicated in some fashion on the front engine cover under the front of the car. Take a look and see what the underside engine cover looks like.
25 years would take us to 1999 (ouch). "or so" would be like 40+!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2024, 08:34 PM   #40
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by celsdogg View Post
25 years would take us to 1999 (ouch). "or so" would be like 40+!
I owned a 1989 E30 and I still own a 1997 Z3. Neither chassis has central jacking points like the E46 has or E90. Just speaking from experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2024, 06:27 AM   #41
celsdogg
E4 Mafia
Rep
Drives: E30, E36/5, E46x2, F22, F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I owned a 1989 E30 and I still own a 1997 Z3. Neither chassis has central jacking points like the E46 has or E90. Just speaking from experience.
I was more emphasizing your point that these have been basically the same for a long time. I'll stand by my 40+!

I also own an E30. Jack points have been the same since that time. I'd be surprised if the Z3 was different; it used the E30's antiquated trailing arms.

Nice photo here: https://www.e30zone.net/e30wiki/inde...Jacking_Points

The interesting thing about the E46 was that the front jack point was so hotly debated and it was widely accepted that the pumpkin was a no go in the rear.

Last edited by celsdogg; 06-18-2024 at 06:33 AM.. Reason: E46
Appreciate 2
s_ribs88.50
Efthreeoh18661.00
      06-18-2024, 06:50 AM   #42
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
They might scare you, but searching the web you'll find no failures (at least I couldn't), and each corner is rated at 1,500 lbs, so your fear is unfounded. I won't even address Harbor Freight. Shame the hell on you. lol

Quote:
I'm the sort of guy who leaves his jack in place at the same height as my jack stand though.
Me too, but you should have no fear of Race Ramps. The 2-piece design is actually very trick IMO. I don't have a set, I have an old set of Rhino Ramps from the 80's, but I know guys with proper race cars that use them regularly and have had no issues since their inception.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2024, 09:48 AM   #43
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by celsdogg View Post
I was more emphasizing your point that these have been basically the same for a long time. I'll stand by my 40+!

I also own an E30. Jack points have been the same since that time. I'd be surprised if the Z3 was different; it used the E30's antiquated trailing arms.

Nice photo here: https://www.e30zone.net/e30wiki/inde...Jacking_Points

The interesting thing about the E46 was that the front jack point was so hotly debated and it was widely accepted that the pumpkin was a no go in the rear.
Copy that. (Sad to see an E30 in such a predicament)

It's been more than 20 years since I lifted an E30 with a floor jack and stands, so I probably forgot about the front crossmember. I definitely just used the rocker panel pinch welds and placed the stands under the unibody frame rails for the front and the at the rear subframe (crossmember) bushings. Same for the Z3. I had the Bentley for the E30, I just don't remember if it stated the E30 had center jacking points. I have the Bentley for the Z3 and E46 (I keep for my Z4), I'll have to check what the manuals say. I had an E46 Cabrio for about 3 years but I've always used the lift for it and the Z4, so I never checked on jacking point locations.

Having a real lift now, I just don't pay attention to it because I use the lifting blocks (as God intended ).

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 06-18-2024 at 09:57 AM..
Appreciate 1
celsdogg350.00
      06-18-2024, 09:58 AM   #44
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
They might scare you, but searching the web you'll find no failures (at least I couldn't), and each corner is rated at 1,500 lbs, so your fear is unfounded. I won't even address Harbor Freight. Shame the hell on you. lol

Me too, but you should have no fear of Race Ramps. The 2-piece design is actually very trick IMO. I don't have a set, I have an old set of Rhino Ramps from the 80's, but I know guys with proper race cars that use them regularly and have had no issues since their inception.
Who posts on the web about ramps AFTER they fail?

Just sayin'
Appreciate 1