BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #23
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
I'm actually interested in a comparison/pros-cons of M Sport vs. Luxury Line. Anyone choose between these 2 lines?
M-Sport comes with sport automatic transmission with extra Sport + mode and paddle shifters on M Steering wheel.

M sport has unique bumper designs

M Sport comes with Sport seats
M Sport dedicated wheels at 19"

xLine comes with Sport Steering Wheel
xLine dedicated wheels at 19"
xLine comes with running boards
xLine has silver matte roof rail boards along with inlets in bumper.

There are other minor differences but the listed above the important.

Overall, its a choice. My choice is xLine because:

xLine offers more luxury or contemporary looks than sportier look.
I wanted Running boards so kids can easily get in and out of the car.
I wanted kidney grill either in chrome or silver matte given my choice of exterior color (Brown)
xLine has better ground clearance than m sport. (given bumper designs)
xLine has very nice wheels that are unique.

Also, M Sport is not true M vehicle. so, i will keep my M Badge for true M vehicle

hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #24
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 Porsche Macan S

actually, was looking for a comparison of the M Sport to the Luxury line, not the X line.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #25
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbimmerx5 View Post
Also, I found running boards are immensely helpful for children boarding the car and of course it adds to looks.
Have you been able to have kids try getting in and out of the car with and without running boards? I'm having the same dilemma, xline vs m sport and while the boards seem like they would be helpful, my 3 year old is able to climb in my wife's x3 now (same ground clearance as the F15 and E70) with no issues, so wondering if I should factor the running boards in as an advantage for the xline, or if it doesn't really matter. We still have a younger child to think about as well.

May have to just take my son around to dealerships to try them both. Of course one dealer has an m sport and lux line (sans boards..) and one has only an x-line... haven't found one with an X-line and M sport at the same dealership yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #26
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
actually, was looking for a comparison of the M Sport to the Luxury line, not the X line.
Lux and xline are very similar so just take his comparison between m sport and xLine, but the luxury has chrome accents instead of silver in the grills, around the windows, and on the rear bumper, and has color matched front lip and fender trim instead of black around the fenders and silver front lip on the xLine. Biggest difference is the luxury 19" wheels are different from the xline 19" wheels, and the xline comes with a $900 price increase and you get running boards for that money, but those can be added to the lux for $400. So overall, difference between the two is cosmetic + running boards. No functional differences beyond the running boards.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #27
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE=chrisny;14821132]Have you been able to have kids try getting in and out of the car with and without running boards? I'm having the same dilemma, xline vs m sport and while the boards seem like they would be helpful, my 3 year old is able to climb in my wife's x3 now (same ground clearance as the F15 and E70) with no issues, so wondering if I should factor the running boards in as an advantage for the xline, or if it doesn't really matter. We still have a younger child to think about as well.

May have to just take my son around to dealerships to try them both. Of course one dealer has an m sport and lux line (sans boards..) and one has only an x-line... haven't found one with an X-line and M sport at the same dealership yet.

My son could get into E70 with out running boards but with boards it's easy and convenient. Mt wife also felt them useful.

Also, including running boards the xLine silver matte with window surrounds leaves the stance of the vehicle compare to M sports in looks.

I am not so particular with sport auto transmission. Hence the xLine is the winner for me particularly with darker exterior.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #28
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My son could get into E70 with out running boards but with boards it's easy and convenient. Mt wife also felt them useful.

Also, including running boards the xLine silver matte with window surrounds leaves the stance of the vehicle compare to M sports in looks.

I am not so particular with sport auto transmission. Hence the xLine is the winner for me particularly with darker exterior.
Thanks. My son has no issues with our X3 (same height), but is more crawling/climbing into it than stepping into it, if that makes sense. So I could see how the boards would make it easier. And when my daughter one is big enough to climb in on her own, she may need the extra step more than he does.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #29
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Thanks. My son has no issues with our X3 (same height), but is more crawling/climbing into it than stepping into it, if that makes sense. So I could see how the boards would make it easier. And when my daughter one is big enough to climb in on her own, she may need the extra step more than he does.
also, the new F15 running boards are narrow compare to E70. This is confirmed information with F15 Product manager via another forum user.

so, we need to see them in person and figure out the functional aspect. i am visiting dealers this weekend and will post my findings.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #30
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
also, the new F15 running boards are narrow compare to E70. This is confirmed information with F15 Product manager via another forum user.

so, we need to see them in person and figure out the functional aspect. i am visiting dealers this weekend and will post my findings.
I wish I paid more attention to this when I drove the xline yesterday, but someone else on here posted saying they don't stick out as far from the door, but once you open the door there is more there, meaning they're possibly about the same width as on the E70, but tucked in better. I can confirm they don't stick out as far as they do on the E70, but didn't really pay attention as much as I should have when I opened the door.

I can also confirm that even though they don't stick out as far, I did still brush against them with my leg, so the complaints people had about the running boards on the E70 getting your pants dirty won't completely go away, but you don't have to step over them as much on the E70 to avoid it..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #31
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
I wish I paid more attention to this when I drove the xline yesterday, but someone else on here posted saying they don't stick out as far from the door, but once you open the door there is more there, meaning they're possibly about the same width as on the E70, but tucked in better. I can confirm they don't stick out as far as they do on the E70, but didn't really pay attention as much as I should have when I opened the door.

I can also confirm that even though they don't stick out as far, I did still brush against them with my leg, so the complaints people had about the running boards on the E70 getting your pants dirty won't completely go away, but you don't have to step over them as much on the E70 to avoid it..
One of the reasons I'm getting M sport
No running board = cleaner pants
For some reason, painted trim attracts less or no dirt
So it stays clean longer and dries quicker
I have two kids and one of them is 4
He climbs to the car with no problem
He grabs the carseat with his hands and steps right onto inside door trim
No need for boards
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 02:12 PM   #32
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyATC View Post
One of the reasons I'm getting M sport
No running board = cleaner pants
For some reason, painted trim attracts less or no dirt
So it stays clean longer and dries quicker
I have two kids and one of them is 4
He climbs to the car with no problem
He grabs the carseat with his hands and steps right onto inside door trim
No need for boards
A friend of ours is in town with her kids, youngest is 4, and she made a good point about the running boards too.. by the time they can buckle themselves in (and be trusted to get in and out without going into traffic), they're big enough that they don't need the boards to get in. Point being, as long as they can get in with you standing behind them without the boards, seems they wouldn't be necessary. My son climbs right into the x3 and up into his car seat with no issues. We still stand behind him when he does to make sure he doesn't fall backwards, and because we need to buckle him in, so the boards just wouldn't change much.

I think at the end of the day, this car sits just low enough that you could feasibly go either way. The boards are nice and on my E70 I got them with 0 kids and 0 wife, because i thought it looked much better and much meaner with them. This time I feel less inclined even with kids.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 04:22 AM   #33
Zipforia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Aren't all these discussions basically...

"I like M Sport for my reasons." "I like xLine for my reasons."

Z.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 06:36 AM   #34
jman26
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 msport active steer

Garage List
2015 F15  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipforia View Post
Aren't all these discussions basically...

"I like M Sport for my reasons." "I like xLine for my reasons."

Z.
You are right to a point and that is why there are different lines. However before any of us saw these rhings in the wild, user feedback was key. Some opinions here helped me switchfrom xline w comfort seats to msport for same money. I thought comfort seats and wheels on x where very important. I realized there was more value for me in msport and deleting running boards was key (now this is actually an option on xline i believe). I also got great feedback on the msport wheel vs sport.

Anyways, the steering wheel on msport is awesome. It feels so substantial and looks great compared to the 'sport' wheel on xline. The leather is nicer, its thicker, the stitching stands out, the silver buttons look great, and the paddle shifters area big desl for me.

The sportseats i lesrned can benetter than comfort for a shorter person like me 5-7

All of this was confirmed last weekwhen i drove thecsr but decided bc of user input. Somopinions matter imo.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2013, 07:22 AM   #35
SCBMW02
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i and 2022 Z4 M40i

Garage List
Saw the new X5 in person for first time yesterday at BMW display at Road Atlanta. It was the X line. I have been mulling over the same thing, M line vs X line. I think I like the look of the X line better, but kind of like the added sport features on the M. I am going to trade my 2010 X5d and I am waiting for the new diesel mpg numbers to come out to decide if I am going to stick with that or go back to gas. The new 35i gets 1 more mpg than my current diesel on the hwy. Without going in to too much number crunching, with the current cost of diesel around where I live, 40 cents higher than premium, it would need to get better than 3 mpg over the gas to break even! That means the new diesel will need to be rated at least 30 mpg hwy! I do like the torque, but the 35i is quicker. At any rate, the new X5 looks really good in person.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #36
newbimmerx5
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman26 View Post
You are right to a point and that is why there are different lines. However before any of us saw these rhings in the wild, user feedback was key. Some opinions here helped me switchfrom xline w comfort seats to msport for same money. I thought comfort seats and wheels on x where very important. I realized there was more value for me in msport and deleting running boards was key (now this is actually an option on xline i believe). I also got great feedback on the msport wheel vs sport.

Anyways, the steering wheel on msport is awesome. It feels so substantial and looks great compared to the 'sport' wheel on xline. The leather is nicer, its thicker, the stitching stands out, the silver buttons look great, and the paddle shifters area big desl for me.

The sportseats i lesrned can benetter than comfort for a shorter person like me 5-7

All of this was confirmed last weekwhen i drove thecsr but decided bc of user input. Somopinions matter imo.
Did you try MC seats on new X5?
They are new and totally different from comfort seats.
Not just adjustments, but the frame, padding and comfort can really show the difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #37
jman26
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 msport active steer

Garage List
2015 F15  [0.00]
Quote:
Did you try MC seats on new X5?
They are new and totally different from comfort seats.
Not just adjustments, but the frame, padding and comfort can really show the difference.
I didnt get a chance to as i need my car asap and preordered. I dont doubtthe comfort seatsre worth the money. I really wamted ventilated seats umtil i discovered bmw does a poor job w hem vs other luxury manufacturers. For me the sports fit my body well and i got s lot for my same mo ey w jumping to msport. I am sire the comfort seats are even better.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 02:48 PM   #38
JW83
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

Living in the city w/ parallel parking and the possibility of getting bumped a little front and back, are the Xline bumpers (black/silver) more resistant to damage than the m-line painted plastic? Also, anyone able to use bumperbully type guards w/ the split tailgate?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2014, 07:31 PM   #39
joejoejr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 35i

I ordered an xLine mainly because I wanted the Dark Graphite exterior. Not sure why the Msport is so limited in terms of color selections. I also prefer the xLine front bumper and style 449 19" rims over the 467 Msports.

I ended up adding MC seats based on feedback from folks on this forum. I also preferred the stitch pattern (which is really noticeable with ivory/blk interior) of the M-C seats vs the standard.

If i could ala carte exterior cosmetic features from the Msport I would add the Msport exhaust tips and body colored wheel trim. I also like the anthracite headliner for all interiors except for ivory. I would have considered terra as opposed to the ivory/blk that I ultimately ordered if I could have gotten the anthracite headliner.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2014, 07:51 AM   #40
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten
Quote:
so, the transmission is no different except extra modes and rest is just aesthetics?
Great question. I thought they were the same but would be interested in an answer. I just find the Msport front bumper and the overall trim to be rather plain and staid. For me the xLine looks fantastic. I can live without the paddle shifters since it is an automatic and not a real dual clutch transmission. If I get an X5 I'm going xLine with the dynamic handling package.
That's the way to do it!
Appreciate 0