ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-27-2007, 06:36 PM   #23
angelsz4
silver bullet
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw z4 silver bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Fe Roadster View Post
Great advice & pics! Just purchased the mtec kit and was unsure about the install. Now I think I'm ready!
you should try taking pictures and creating a how to
      12-13-2007, 03:54 PM   #24
Santa Fe Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5 Sport

Garage List
Installation of the MTec HIDs on my 03' Z was easy. I used the 'front bumper removal' by Mister Roger (http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79994), the ballast placement pictures from Chuck I (earlier in this thread), and the instruction from MTEC. Removal of the front bumper was crutial. The holes in the wheel wells would be too small to allow propper installation of the MTec ballasts.
Thanks Mister Roger & Chuck I

BMW rear spoiler - de-badged - MTEC HIDs (DEFECTIVE) - XENESIS high beams & fogs - shadowline front grill - 20% tint - keyhole plugs - Roadster Solutions acrylic wind deflector - LeatherZ center console & door arm rests - Parrot 3100 bluetooth - USA SPEC IPod integration - Xenon interior lighting
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2007, 09:02 PM   #25
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Z4 + '07 ///M Roadster

Glad it worked for you..

I agree.. if I had realized how easy the front bumper came off, I would have done it that way... I can remove my bumper in about 10 minutes... scary You'll love the hids
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2007, 10:45 PM   #26
Traxxer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw Z4

Yeah, I made the mistake of installing my MTEC HIDS without removing the front bumper. I worked through both holes on the wheel wells and placed the ballast by luck in the same place these folks have placed them. This weekend I'm going to remove the front bumper and secure the ballasts by bolting them on.

I know the industrial tape is strong but I still don't feel good about driving aggressively without fear of my ballasts falling off.

Check out this link to prevent from getting fake MTEC HIDS.
http://onspire.com/Authentic_Fake.htm
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2007, 09:59 AM   #27
BMW^Z4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Chuck where did you buy the gromet that seals the hole from ?
Sterling grey ,108 starspoke, alarm,KW v3 suspension,clear lights,cd/mp3, ipod 20GB, hardtop,manual,wind deflector, aerodynamic package, silver trim,Michelin pilot sport tyres, cruise control etc ...http://www.freewebs.com/knb921/
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 04:47 AM   #28
BMW^Z4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I installed them, they are amazing
Sterling grey ,108 starspoke, alarm,KW v3 suspension,clear lights,cd/mp3, ipod 20GB, hardtop,manual,wind deflector, aerodynamic package, silver trim,Michelin pilot sport tyres, cruise control etc ...http://www.freewebs.com/knb921/
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2008, 08:40 AM   #29
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The gromet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW^Z4 View Post
Chuck where did you buy the gromet that seals the hole from ?
The gromet comes with the MTEC kit... If I remove the HIDS later and want to seal the hole back up, I can get the caps at the local hardware store. They are just made out of hard rubber material and pop right in. Chuck
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 01:08 AM   #30
BMW^Z4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I installed MTEC 6000k on my Z4 and after 3 days both bulds are not working with the ignition on the dashboard that are faulty. I sent them back and replaced . After 2 days the drivers bulb switched off again. Do you face the same problem? Are my ballast faulty?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 06:20 AM   #31
Chuck I
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW^Z4 View Post
I installed MTEC 6000k on my Z4 and after 3 days both bulds are not working with the ignition on the dashboard that are faulty. I sent them back and replaced . After 2 days the drivers bulb switched off again. Do you face the same problem? Are my ballast faulty?
Man, that's a bummer... I've had my MTEC's in for over a year with no problems.. Chuck I
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2008, 08:36 AM   #32
BMW^Z4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

They replaced my bulbs with GE 6000k. I will install them on monday....
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 12:24 AM   #33
ATX750i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Honda Civic Si

Garage List
2003 Z4 2.5i  [0.00]
Chuck, can you create a how-to on the front bumper removal?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2008, 02:25 AM   #34
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Fe Roadster View Post
Installation of the MTec HIDs on my 03' Z was easy. I used the 'front bumper removal' by Mister Roger (http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79994), the ballast placement pictures from Chuck I (earlier in this thread), and the instruction from MTEC. Removal of the front bumper was crutial. The holes in the wheel wells would be too small to allow propper installation of the MTec ballasts.
Thanks Mister Roger & Chuck I
8 Post Up JHastings0826 ?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 02:44 PM   #35
Santa Fe Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 2.5 Sport

Garage List
Do take caution when intalling or reinstalling the grommets! I needed to replace one of the bulbs, and in reinstalling I must not have resealed it propperly, and now the headlight assembley is foggy and looking like a rain forest in there. It easy to fix... and even easier to avoid if your careful!

BMW rear spoiler - de-badged - MTEC HIDs (DEFECTIVE) - XENESIS high beams & fogs - shadowline front grill - 20% tint - keyhole plugs - Roadster Solutions acrylic wind deflector - LeatherZ center console & door arm rests - Parrot 3100 bluetooth - USA SPEC IPod integration - Xenon interior lighting
Appreciate 0