BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) F1 2024: Dutch GP - Zandvoort (Aug 25)

08-15-2024, 04:50 PM   #45
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep
Drives: Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
And it seems poised to stay that way, despite all the rhetoric that Liberty is trying to US-ify the sport. Europe is largely gatekeeping the sport.

Liberty is denying entry of a US motorsports team that would be worthy of competing... one that has 7 Indy car manufacturer championships in the past 12 years (Chevy is under the same ownership as Cadillac, so no different than the Renault/alpine).

Drivers are european because there is no roadmap in the US for drivers to get to F1. The carting scene here doesn't exist, so someone has to move to Europe to become a part of it. Even if someone is super successful in Indy car, the points given out to obtain an F1 super license are pathetic - enter Pato O'Ward - dropped by RB junior team in 2019 because he wasn't given enough points from his time in Indy to race in F1, fast forward a few years and now a reserve driver, but missed some prime years to develop quicker. And Alex Palou - similar issues.

For a sport that dubs itself as the "pinnacle" of racing, the gate keeping is pretty staggering. I do not consider these drivers as the best in the world, I consider them the best drivers who got into this specific pipeline. No question in my mind that there is more talent out there that just can't get through the gate. And I enjoy it for what it is, but I'm also excited to see the sport grow beyond it's historic European borders into a true international sport.
I agree with you. They're afraid of bringing in a US based team. Other than a few drivers in F1, most of them shouldn't be there.

I also wish there was a series that was mixed motorsport - both open and closed wheel in the same series (F1 cars, GT3, LMP, etc) so we could truly see who is worth their salt. Kicker is, they are all spec cars so it truly takes the best and fastest to win.
Appreciate 3
dfox1071.50
M5Rick66286.00
      08-15-2024, 04:52 PM   #46
dfox
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
yes. But basically you're saying that karting is the best learing school for F1 (and probably all open wheel racing), and I agree.
That also means that a lot of (most?) US drivers won't be good enough for F1, as they miss the skill young karters get here in europe.
Right... bring karting to the US kids and the dynamics will shift. It's just a matter of time, really. Kids in the US are getting interested in motorsports other than just nascar... My son bought the lewis hamilton skin on fortnite... lol.

The underrepresentation is merely a challenge of access, not capability.

Quote:
That's not true, they're denying entry of any motorsports teams. There's a difference.
The most sure way to get into F1 is to buy a team. Is that the ideal system. No I don't think so, but if you let more teams competing, you also have to do something about qualifying and the starting grid, as I think entering more cars in the race would overcrowd the track. That can hinder the race at the top, and make things dangerous, especially at streettracks.
I don't disagree here... Just odd that they got half acceptance, but Liberty is the one apparently full on denying them. They should figure out how to just buy a struggling team like Haas or Alpine.

Last edited by dfox; 08-15-2024 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2024, 04:55 PM   #47
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Soccer and F1 are the only things that Europe still has that America hasn't dominated at, and it's only because we don't care.

Quote:
Apparently some do.
Do you think that fits the american stereotype?
I tend to agree with AmuroRay on the first part. Most American's don't care. But, both sports are picking up some steam in urban areas. However, I rarely meet anyone who follows F1. Only have 2 or 3 friends I'd call casual fans. Most American's don't know the difference between F1 and IndyCar

Soccer? It's gaining. Once again, mostly in urban areas because people are more diverse and bring soccer culture with them. Parents I know also seem to be steering their kids away from American Football due to CTE and serious injury risk.

Personally I enjoy watching women's soccer much more than men's. It seems to be more action packed. Plus, as an American, violent games like Football are more my thing. I couldn't give 2 $hits about grown men running around kicking each other in the shins. And tie games? That's definitely a NO GO!!! So yes, except for F1 I mostly fit the American stereotype.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2024, 04:57 PM   #48
dfox
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
I agree with you. They're afraid of bringing in a US based team. Other than a few drivers in F1, most of them shouldn't be there.

I also wish there was a series that was mixed motorsport - both open and closed wheel in the same series (F1 cars, GT3, LMP, etc) so we could truly see who is worth their salt. Kicker is, they are all spec cars so it truly takes the best and fastest to win.
I'd like to see an F1 driver miata cup.
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2024, 05:29 PM   #49
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Obviously I like formula 1 or I wouldn't be here. But if Americans cared, we would be Formula 1's biggest market and dominate it like we do anything else we enjoy. Football, baseball, basketball, Warfare, Colonialization, exploitation - U-S-A U-S-A
America's biggest, fastest and strongest go to football, basketball and baseball. Every other sport gets the leftovers.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick66286.00
AmuroRay2845.00
      08-16-2024, 12:54 AM   #50
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
America's biggest, fastest and strongest go to football, basketball and baseball.
But the same reasoning can be used the other way around.
I can also say the rest of the world doesn't care about american football, basketball and baseball. Those sports hardly get any exposure on TV in the rest of the world.
So they get the 'leftovers' in the rest of the world.
To make a good comparison you'd have to compare sports that are equally popular, and ideally take population size of the country in the mix too.

I think motorsports gives a good comparison. I mean, I think motorsports are on average way more popular in the US than in most parts of the world, given how much people are attending all those races in multiple different disciplines.
But still, drivers from indy, or nascar or whatever US racing class that venture in F1 are rarely succesful, whereas F1 drivers that venture into US racing classes, are on average very very succesful. From that you can only conclude that the bar set in F1 is much much higher, and that F1 drivers are just much better than US indycar or nascar drivers.
And the strange thing is that it mostly seems to limit to car roadracing.
If you look at motorcycle racing the pinnacle is motoGP and before that the 500CC 2 stroke, US drivers have been very succesful.
But if you look at population size of countries, I think countries like Australia, Italy and the UK are crazy succesful in motorsports in general.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 08-16-2024 at 02:23 AM..
Appreciate 3
      08-16-2024, 04:26 AM   #51
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Mansell won the '92 F1 title then won the Indy title the following year.
Appreciate 3
      08-16-2024, 05:45 AM   #52
helmet91
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i X-Drive M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
I'd like to see an F1 driver miata cup.
Bring back IROC… have the best drivers from all series again. Then see who’s the best.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2024, 06:56 AM   #53
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
I tend to agree with AmuroRay on the first part. Most American's don't care. But, both sports are picking up some steam in urban areas. However, I rarely meet anyone who follows F1. Only have 2 or 3 friends I'd call casual fans. Most American's don't know the difference between F1 and IndyCar

Soccer? It's gaining. Once again, mostly in urban areas because people are more diverse and bring soccer culture with them. Parents I know also seem to be steering their kids away from American Football due to CTE and serious injury risk.

Personally I enjoy watching women's soccer much more than men's. It seems to be more action packed. Plus, as an American, violent games like Football are more my thing. I couldn't give 2 $hits about grown men running around kicking each other in the shins. And tie games? That's definitely a NO GO!!! So yes, except for F1 I mostly fit the American stereotype.
Agree with everything here except women's sports. Not only will I not watch 90 minutes of soccer to see maybe one score or a tie game, I'm not going to watch slower, weaker and less explosive women do it either. I'll pass.
As long 3-pedals are an option, I will exercise my right to suffer the handicap and indignity of slower shifts and reaction times.

Last edited by AmuroRay; 08-16-2024 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 3
M5Rick66286.00
dfox1071.50
a5m791.50
      08-16-2024, 07:19 AM   #54
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Agree with everything here except women's sports. Not only will I not watch 90 minutes of soccer to see maybe one score a tie game. I'm not going to watch slower, weaker and less explosive women do it either. I'll pass.
Definitely a no with me also, football and some other sports with womans boxing in particular are off for me.
Appreciate 2
      08-16-2024, 07:53 AM   #55
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Definitely a no with me also, football and some other sports with womans boxing in particular are off for me.
Brad at Eau-Rouge (!)

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick66286.00
      08-16-2024, 08:23 AM   #56
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Agree with everything here except women's sports. Not only will I not watch 90 minutes of soccer to see maybe one score a tie game. I'm not going to watch slower, weaker and less explosive women do it either. I'll pass.
Oh, I never intentionally watch soccer!!! But forced to choose between men and women it's women. Being "slower, weaker and less explosive" makes it more entertaining. They might not score more but seem to have many more legit scoring attempts. Men's is just a game of keep away.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66286.00
      08-16-2024, 08:50 AM   #57
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Brad at Eau-Rouge (!)

This is America's attempt at making F1 cool. Goodbye Europe, you used to own Formula 1.

Now let the Americans show you how it's done.
As long 3-pedals are an option, I will exercise my right to suffer the handicap and indignity of slower shifts and reaction times.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2024, 09:35 AM   #58
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Brad at Eau-Rouge (!)

Let's not forget this one on the way..heart palpitations starting.
Appreciate 2
      08-16-2024, 09:38 AM   #59
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
This is America's attempt at making F1 cool. Goodbye Europe, you used to own Formula 1.

Now let the Americans show you how it's done.
Mate , It's a movie and actually a 'FAKE race ....
A real F1 race and real legendary F1 tracks like SPA-Francorchamps you only can see that in Europe (Belgium)!

On the other hand : For sure , I'll watch Brad's F1 movie because it 'LOOKS great.

In other words : Fake vs Reality.
You should be aware of that ...
F1 is/was made great in Europe , because F1 is born in Europe...
And no one can change that (!)

1939 : Spa-Francorchamps was a 9.32 mile-15km track. (!)

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick66286.00
      08-16-2024, 09:44 AM   #60
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
But the same reasoning can be used the other way around.
I can also say the rest of the world doesn't care about american football, basketball and baseball. Those sports hardly get any exposure on TV in the rest of the world.
So they get the 'leftovers' in the rest of the world.

Kinda agree but soccer certainly doesn't get the biggest and strongest. Soccer gets athletic and fastest with amazing endurance. But have you seen these guys? They definitely aren't the biggest and strongest.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick66286.00
AmuroRay2845.00
      08-16-2024, 09:50 AM   #61
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Mate , It's a movie and actually a 'FAKE race ....
A real F1 race and real legendary F1 tracks like SPA-Francorchamps you only can see that in Europe (Belgium)!

On the other hand : For sure , I'll watch Brad's F1 movie because it 'LOOKS great.

In other words : Fake vs Reality.
You should be aware of that ...
F1 is/was made great in Europe , because F1 is born in Europe...
And no one can change that (!)

1939 : Spa-Francorchamps was a 9.32 mile-15km track. (!)

Look at this! Where were you in '66
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2024, 11:32 AM   #62
M5Rick
General
Rep

Why stop now ,here's MAX at Monaco in '37...
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2024, 11:43 AM   #63
dfox
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I think motorsports gives a good comparison. I mean, I think motorsports are on average way more popular in the US than in most parts of the world, given how much people are attending all those races in multiple different disciplines.
The most popular motorsport in the US is Nascar, by far. Nascar skills do not really translate over to open wheel racing, the downforce and other dynamics of the car are just so vastly different. Talent may cross over, but there's a whole new skillset needed.

Quote:
But still, drivers from indy, or nascar or whatever US racing class that venture in F1 are rarely succesful, whereas F1 drivers that venture into US racing classes, are on average very very succesful.
What specific examples do you have? I've googled to find examples, but finding very few who went from F1 to Nascar, and the ones I can find were not "very very successful".
Juan Pablo Montoya (Columbian) - Pretty successful in Nascar
Kimi Raikkonen - not successful in Nascar
Jacques Villeneuve - best finish was 51st place.
Nelson Piquet Jr - not very successful in Nascar,
Scott Speed - an American, slightly more successful in Nascar than others.

Mario Andretti went the opposite direction, from Nascar to F1, and managed to win a race in F1

So honestly, the passes back and forth between the two sports are pretty equal. A select few are successful in both, but most struggle to compete when switching from open wheel to stock car racing or vice versa.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2024, 12:05 PM   #64
3798j
Fleet Mechanic
Rep
Drives: E86 3.0si

Garage List
'19 VW Golf R  [10.00]
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [8.50]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [9.50]
Quote:
Mario Andretti went the opposite direction, from Nascar to F1, and managed to win a race in F1.
Mario only ran in 14 NASCAR races, winning the '67 Daytona 500. He was much better known for his USAC/ CART championships (4).
His F1 record:
1 WDC ('78)
12 wins
19 podiums
He is one of only three drivers to have won races in Formula One, IndyCar, the World Sportscar Championship, and NASCAR.
He is the only driver to win the Indianapolis 500 (1969), Daytona 500 (1967) and the Formula One World Championship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Andretti
Appreciate 2
dfox1071.50
      08-16-2024, 12:21 PM   #65
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep

Larson claims he is better all-round driver than Verstappen.

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/...1s-verstappen/
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2024, 12:24 PM   #66
3798j
Fleet Mechanic
Rep
Drives: E86 3.0si

Garage List
'19 VW Golf R  [10.00]
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [8.50]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [9.50]
Quote:
Larson claims he is better all-round driver than Verstappen.

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/...1s-verstappen/
He's definitely a better passer...his car control is downright amazing.
Appreciate 0