BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Fill me in on Michigan!

06-26-2024, 10:28 AM   #45
strohw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 Versys 1000, 20 KTM 690 SMC

Michigan works best with people who have outdoor hobbies, including winter based ones. It offers a lot, not the best in any category, but a lot across the board. Ideally, also living in the middle of the state or a bit north of that to access most of these options. If you don't have outdoor hobbies then there isn't really anything the state offers that sets it apart.

In regards to the winter, we haven't really gotten the snow or the cold temps that we use to over the last few years. Puts a damper on things like ice fishing, snowmobiling and skiing/boarding. But it's a bit more mild for those who hate the cold but still live here.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26656.50
      06-26-2024, 10:34 AM   #46
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohw View Post
Michigan works best with people who have outdoor hobbies, including winter based ones. It offers a lot, not the best in any category, but a lot across the board. Ideally, also living in the middle of the state or a bit north of that to access most of these options. If you don't have outdoor hobbies then there isn't really anything the state offers that sets it apart.

In regards to the winter, we haven't really gotten the snow or the cold temps that we use to over the last few years. Puts a damper on things like ice fishing, snowmobiling and skiing/boarding. But it's a bit more mild for those who hate the cold but still live here.

I do enjoy snow boarding. I guess I would consider spirited drives/rides an outdoor activity. I haven’t ridden my bike in any serious fashion in awhile. I need to find some roads in NV to drive/ride for the duration of time I’m living here.

I’m definitely seeking a slow paced lifestyle.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2024, 11:31 AM   #47
strohw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I do enjoy snow boarding. I guess I would consider spirited drives/rides an outdoor activity. I haven’t ridden my bike in any serious fashion in awhile. I need to find some roads in NV to drive/ride for the duration of time I’m living here.

I’m definitely seeking a slow pace lifestyle.
Living on the west side of the state would give you access to 4-5 ski resorts. West side also has 2 race tracks with one being Grattan. Which is a pretty good track and where you can meet all the track nerds from places like GM that work on the Camaros, Corvettes and BW. There are a few nice drives on the west side but nothing like other states. If by bike you mean mountain biking, then the lower peninsula has variety of trails that are decent and the upper pen has top tier multi-state level trails.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan26656.50
2000cs3755.50
      06-26-2024, 11:51 AM   #48
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Living on the west side of the state would give you access to 4-5 ski resorts. West side also has 2 race tracks with one being Grattan. Which is a pretty good track and where you can meet all the track nerds from places like GM that work on the Camaros, Corvettes and BW. There are a few nice drives on the west side but nothing like other states. If by bike you mean mountain biking, then the lower peninsula has variety of trails that are decent and the upper pen has top tier multi-state level trails.
I’ll have to look at Grattan’s layout. It’s nice to know there are a few racetracks that are accessible.

By bike I meant motorcycle. I’m a rusty track rat having not road raced in 2 years.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
vreihen1619089.00
Lady Jane78802.00
BMWGUYinCO4298.50
bvrider1359.00
      06-26-2024, 12:57 PM   #49
strohw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I’ll have to look at Grattan’s layout. It’s nice to know there are a few racetracks that are accessible.

By bike I meant motorcycle. I’m a rusty track rat having not road raced in 2 years.
Grattan usually has 2 open bike track days a month in the summer through SBTT. I was just there last month on my 690. They also do WERA races there if you're competing. MI also has a crap ton of ORV and motorcycle only single track along with race orgs if you're into offroad riding.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26656.50
      06-26-2024, 02:39 PM   #50
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Also consider distance to airports if you travel.

DTW is a Delta hub but has fewer global nonstop options than it did 20 years ago.

GRR and FNT are good regionals but connection to ORD or east coast airport is needed to fly overseas.

TVC is quaint and has a few interesting summer-only nonstops but is not a top tier airport from a destinations-served point of view.

Central or northern Michigan living means 3 or more hours from DTW. Not good if you do long haul flights frequently.
Appreciate 2
CamasM3e933476.50
Sedan_Clan26656.50
      06-27-2024, 11:54 AM   #51
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Grattan usually has 2 open bike track days a month in the summer through SBTT. I was just there last month on my 690. They also do WERA races there if you're competing. MI also has a crap ton of ORV and motorcycle only single track along with race orgs if you're into offroad riding.
Even better!!!! The fact that WERA races are there is even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Also consider distance to airports if you travel.

DTW is a Delta hub but has fewer global nonstop options than it did 20 years ago.

GRR and FNT are good regionals but connection to ORD or east coast airport is needed to fly overseas.

TVC is quaint and has a few interesting summer-only nonstops but is not a top tier airport from a destinations-served point of view.

Central or northern Michigan living means 3 or more hours from DTW. Not good if you do long haul flights frequently.
Great info that I didn’t consider. Thanks for that. I always fly into GRR from ONT.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2024, 10:43 PM   #52
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Why not there are deer literally everywhere here

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26656.50
      06-28-2024, 03:22 AM   #53
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Have you had any close calls?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2024, 12:18 PM   #54
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Quote:
Appreciate 3
vreihen1619089.00
dradernh4814.50
Sedan_Clan26656.50
      06-28-2024, 05:56 PM   #55
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
10 years ago I hit a deer head on at 55mph on a pitch dark 2-lane rural highway. About $14k of damage on a then-current model Touareg. Airbag blew and fuel pump deactivated, had to call a tow truck. I was fine. Deer was...despatched.

I have seen a few deer hit while driving, and had a few close calls. Deer are truly everywhere in Michigan. And no one talks about it. It's normal.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26656.50
      06-29-2024, 02:04 AM   #56
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
10 years ago I hit a deer head on at 55mph on a pitch dark 2-lane rural highway. About $14k of damage on a then-current model Touareg. Airbag blew and fuel pump deactivated, had to call a tow truck. I was fine. Deer was...despatched.

I have seen a few deer hit while driving, and had a few close calls. Deer are truly everywhere in Michigan. And no one talks about it. It's normal.
I would cry like a little twiggy bitch if I hit a deer in my 992. I’m not even ashamed to admit it either.
Appreciate 2
chassis7564.50
      06-29-2024, 08:10 AM   #57
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
I would cry like a little twiggy bitch if I hit a deer in my 992. I’m not even ashamed to admit it either.
I would be more worried about hitting a deer on your motorcycle if I were you!

Many years ago, a friend and my brother were on a rural road up in the Catskills and had a deer jump out in front of their bikes. My brother missed the collision, but had to go for help because my friend did not have the same good fortune. He had to be airlifted out, after the fire and ambulance crews finished sorting out what parts in the bloody mess were his and what were the deer's. He spent a while in the hospital, and did recover enough to ride again about a year later.....
Sedan_Clan26656.50
      06-29-2024, 12:45 PM   #58
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I would be more worried about hitting a deer on your motorcycle if I were you!

Many years ago, a friend and my brother were on a rural road up in the Catskills and had a deer jump out in front of their bikes. My brother missed the collision, but had to go for help because my friend did not have the same good fortune. He had to be airlifted out, after the fire and ambulance crews finished sorting out what parts in the bloody mess were his and what were the deer's. He spent a while in the hospital, and did recover enough to ride again about a year later.....
Good points. I don’t really ride much street anymore. I’m predominantly a track rider. I rode street and canyons from about 2007 to 2011, and migrated to the racetracks after that.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1619089.00
      06-29-2024, 01:14 PM   #59
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Grattan is an excellent track for bikes, motorcycles and cars. Waterford Hills is also good, but smaller. In MI you are also close to Putnam Park and Mid Ohio. Lots of options.

I’ve hit deer several times, although never in MI. In all cases the deer ran off, but if you see one with a Roundel on its hip, you know who tagged it! You learn when and where they are active which helps to see and avoid them.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan26656.50
      06-29-2024, 01:17 PM   #60
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
Grattan is an excellent track for bikes, motorcycles and cars. Waterford Hills is also good, but smaller. In MI you are also close to Putnam Park and Mid Ohio. Lots of options.

I’ve hit deer several times, although never in MI. In all cases the deer ran off, but if you see one with a Roundel on its hip, you know who tagged it! You learn when and where they are active which helps to see and avoid them.
Teach me the ways to discern when and where they are active.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2024, 01:18 PM   #61
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
So, you’ve gotten a lot of good feedback on Michigan. You might find this video interesting. It’s about vacation spots from a Chicago point of view and covers Illinois, Wisconsin, and northern Indiana, but there is a substantial segment on Michigan, because there is so much in Michigan.

If you want to learn more about Chicago than you can possibly imagine he has done about twenty or more shows covering every aspect of Chicago and the suburbs. My bucket list for Michigan is about a mile long!

https://interactive.wttw.com/chicago-on-vacation

https://interactive.wttw.com/geoffrey-baer-tours
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

06-29-2024, 01:20 PM   #62
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
So, you’ve gotten a lot of good feedback on Michigan. You might find this video interesting. It’s about vacation spots from a Chicago point of view and covers Illinois, Wisconsin, northern Indiana, but there is a substantial segment on Michigan, because there is so much in Michigan.

If you want to learn more about Chicago than you can possibly imagine he has done about twenty or more shows covering every aspect of Chicago and the suburbs.

https://interactive.wttw.com/chicago-on-vacation

https://interactive.wttw.com/geoffrey-baer-tours
Sweet! That’ll give me something to research today in between calls for service. Thanks bro!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2024, 01:29 PM   #63
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Teach me the ways to discern when and where they are active.
Always, but most commonly in low light (early morning, late evening) and darkness (night). Mainly just outside suburban areas and rural, but also present in built-up areas.

There are deer munching my neighbor’s lawn at all hours of the day and night.
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan26656.50
vreihen1619089.00
2000cs3755.50
      06-29-2024, 01:35 PM   #64
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sweet! That’ll give me something to research today in between calls for service. Thanks bro!
I forgot to mention one thing. You’ve basically already been told this. Michigan has harsher winters than Illinois and Chicago. I have always heard about lake effect snow and when I moved to Chicago I was expecting it. Especially because I live literally three streets off of Lake Michigan. I was surprised to learn Chicago doesn’t get a lot of lake effect snow, because of something I had never thought about. The winds generally blow west to east, so it’s Michigan that gets hit pretty hard by lake effect snow. In the city of Chicago, particularly very close to the lake like I am, Lake Michigan actually moderates the temperatures. In the winter the lake keeps the temperature up and in the summer it keeps the temperature down. When they give the forecast on the news they say, “the high temperature will be ## degrees, except by the lake it will be 5 - 10 degrees warmer/cooler.”

06-29-2024, 01:40 PM   #65
chassis
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Lake effect snow in the lower peninsula occurs mainly within 30 miles from the shore of Lake Michigan. Further inland beyond 30 miles, lake effect quickly drops to nothing.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan26656.50
vreihen1619089.00
      06-29-2024, 01:40 PM   #66
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
One other thing. I have really grown to appreciate how much the Midwest has to offer!! The culture is generally quite diverse and so is the geography and attractions.