BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Beep, Beep you're speeding!

06-06-2024, 04:20 PM   #67
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Tejas View Post
No but you view multiple, 100's of YouTube videos for "hot pursuit" police chase where they pass on all sides and endanger the lives of 100's of people during these fiasco encounters. Several people got critically injured here in Fort Worth during one of these fucked up events.

I "Back the Blue" but not these type(s) of police activity. Several officers feel the same here in town. You can get them other ways......multiple other ways without endangering the public at large.

In Germany you "do not" pass on the right. This is an American thing. The Germans are courteous and will move over. You have "flash to pass" on your BMW, which 99 percent of Americans have no idea what this is, and subsequently flip you off, go into immediate "road rage mode" or shoot you in Texas. On your stalk, the momentary contact high beam switch, to utilize what is commonly called "torch lights" in Germany. We were tearing up the Autobahn in 74..........
Rather than h/lamp flashing, Cucaracha air horns from a distance may be less annoying than h/lamp, but before that turn signal (like in Germany) flashing may do the trick and make drivers move over.
Appreciate 2
M4Tejas1012.00
      06-06-2024, 08:56 PM   #68
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

All you guys are crying because you're about to be replaced by a microchip in 0.0001 seconds.

So be it. Keep crying.
Appreciate 2
M4Tejas1012.00
chris7197536.50
      06-07-2024, 12:17 PM   #69
M4Tejas
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 G82 M4xDrive

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Rather than h/lamp flashing, Cucaracha air horns from a distance may be less annoying than h/lamp, but before that turn signal (like in Germany) flashing may do the trick and make drivers move over.

I had doubles on my Honda 500-4 many moons ago. Scares the holy shit....
Attached Images

2022 M4 Comp xDrive Aventurin Red Metallic
https://wieninger.de/ Seit 1666
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66286.00
      06-07-2024, 12:21 PM   #70
M4Tejas
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 G82 M4xDrive

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
All you guys are crying because you're about to be replaced by a microchip in 0.0001 seconds.

So be it. Keep crying.

Attached Images

2022 M4 Comp xDrive Aventurin Red Metallic
https://wieninger.de/ Seit 1666
Appreciate 1
M5Rick66286.00
      06-07-2024, 12:58 PM   #71
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Tejas View Post

I had doubles on my Honda 500-4 many moons ago. Scares the holy shit....
5 horns and a compressor is a big ask in the tight F10 engine bay
Appreciate 2
      06-08-2024, 08:16 AM   #72
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Signal detection is more than just repetitive activities, its about sensory thresholds and human reliability, in all areas.
On the Mustang Mach E forum I hang on, there has been discussion on two recent incidents where Ford's Bluecruise failed to avoid unexpectedly stopped vehicles in the roadway. One instance was in Texas on a multi-lane highway at night (10 PM) and the other in Philidelphia, again late at night (4 AM) and also on a multi-lane highway. In both instances a car was stopped in a travel lane and the car's hazard/marker lights (taillights) were inoperable. The issue is that Ford's Bluecruise may not be able to distinguish stopped vehicles from moving vehicles (i.e. background noise) and just plowed into the rear of the vehicle, a CR-V in Texas and a Kia in Philly (that had been involved in a prior collision and was disabled). MME Forum members, who are well-versed in Ford's system, which uses cameras and radar, state the Bluecruise system's radar can't detect stationary objects and can only detect (or perhaps is just designed to detect) moving traffic. I bring this up because if one reads the reports about the accidents, in the Texas case, there was an eyewitness (i.e. a human driver). The human driver is reported as seeing the stopped CR-V and avoided it, while the Mach-E driver, who was relying on the Bluecruise (ADAS) did not detect the stopped CR-V and neither the Mach E driver nor the ADAS was able to avoid the Honda. In both the Texas and Philly accidents the drivers of the CR-V and Kia (and the car the Kia hit) were killed when the Mach E ran into the stopped cars.

So, while machine signal detection may be more consistently repeatable than a human, whose sensory capabilities are subject to degradation due to fatigue, situational interest (i.e. mental state), and age, the machine's sensory capabilities are subject to limitations as well when placed in a dynamic situation such as driving in changing environmental conditions and where it detects situations that the software was not programmed to encounter and react to.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66286.00
      06-08-2024, 09:13 AM   #73
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
So, while machine signal detection may be more consistently repeatable than a human, whose sensory capabilities are subject to degradation due to fatigue, situational interest (i.e. mental state), and age, the machine's sensory capabilities are subject to limitations as well when placed in a dynamic situation such as driving in changing environmental conditions and where it detects situations that the software was not programmed to encounter and react to.
Machine signal detection will get better as AI gets better, can't say the same for humans...with over 40,000 fatal crashes in the U.S. annually

Thus, it's also safe to conclude that humans "sensory capabilities are subject to limitations as well when placed in a dynamic situation such as driving in changing environmental conditions and where it detects situations that the mind was not programmed to encounter and react to", which we prove every minute of every day

If autonomous driving can immediately cut the annual fatal crash figure in half, that could be seen as a win for many.

Instead of worrying about computers killing us, we should be more concerned about us killing us.

It's all a matter of perspective...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2024, 08:18 PM   #74
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
Machine signal detection will get better as AI gets better, can't say the same for humans...with over 40,000 fatal crashes in the U.S. annually

Thus, it's also safe to conclude that humans "sensory capabilities are subject to limitations as well when placed in a dynamic situation such as driving in changing environmental conditions and where it detects situations that the mind was not programmed to encounter and react to", which we prove every minute of every day

If autonomous driving can immediately cut the annual fatal crash figure in half, that could be seen as a win for many.

Instead of worrying about computers killing us, we should be more concerned about us killing us.

If.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2024, 08:39 PM   #75
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
If.
It's not an if, it's a when.
Appreciate 1
RM73004.00
      06-08-2024, 11:42 PM   #76
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
It's not an if, it's a when.
I asked for the how, with specifics. I've not yet read the specifics.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2024, 08:13 AM   #77
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post

I guess your perspective is, for safety reasons, you should just stay stationary in your dwelling in an adult highchair, stream Hulu, and have robots do everything for you?

How effing boring.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66286.00
      07-05-2024, 01:25 PM   #78
Condorll
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Wait, it's California. Driving under the influence of alcohol - bad. Driving while stoned - good.
Driving under Napa Cabs should be allowed and encouraged, local businesses.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh18659.50
      07-05-2024, 01:45 PM   #79
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condorll View Post
Driving under Napa Cabs should be allowed and encouraged, local businesses.
Been there, done that...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2024, 03:27 PM   #80
Rocket455
Grumpysaurus Rex
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i

Garage List
1972 Firechicken  [0.00]
1969 Toronado  [0.00]
1970 Camaro  [0.00]
What if I identify as going under the speed limit and it still beeps at me?
      07-08-2024, 07:28 PM   #81
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
And so it begins!
Speed Limiters Now Mandatory in All New EU Cars
Jul 08, 2024
Cars have been able to figure out when they're speeding for a while, thanks to GPS as well as traffic sign recognition, and they've also been able to pump the brakes automatically when needed.
Having a computer automatically slow down a car in response to posted speed limits, therefore, was not really a question of technical feasibility for some time—but mandating it has been a question of political will.
That political will has materialized in the European Union, and starting July 7 all new cars sold in the EU will feature intelligent speed assistance (ISA) systems.
The systems themselves have been working their way into newly introduced models of cars starting in 2022, so quite a few new cars on the road already feature them. The July 2024 regulation extends that mandate to all new vehicles being manufactured for sale in the EU.
"The objective is to protect Europeans against traffic accidents, poor air quality and climate change, empower them with new mobility solutions that match their changing needs, and defend the competitiveness of European industry," the European Commission said in a statement.

There will be four ways in which ISA systems will work to slow the vehicle down, and it will be up to the manufacturers to pick which one they want to use. The EU regulations permit a system that can use a cascaded acoustic warning, a cascaded vibrating warning, an accelerator pedal with haptic feedback, or a speed control function in which the speed of the vehicle will be gradually reduced.

Other critics view it as the latest example of intrusive surveillance measures that will grow more restrictive over time, or that could eventually be paired with V2X technology to create geofenced zones where there might not be ways for drivers to circumvent speed limiters in their cars at all. The measures that follow, therefore, could be even more restrictive, with this one being merely the first step toward in-car surveillance tech.
https://www.autoweek.com/news/a61532...s-europe-cars/

Unelected idiots out of control. This week is slap a bureaucrat week!
Appreciate 2
      07-08-2024, 07:30 PM   #82
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
Mandatory Car SPEED LIMITERS Are Coming!

Appreciate 1
      07-09-2024, 09:33 AM   #83
gorthol
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e 2021

Garage List
2021 BMW 330e  [0.00]
Yeah my 2024 Euro M340i xDrive has this beep. It's annoying but can be disabled by pressing the "set" button on the wheel for 1 second so it has become another part of the starting-up sequence for me. I hope somebody find a way to disable it by coding.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2024, 10:17 AM   #84
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
Maybe you are familiar with the old idiom (a camel's nose under the tent)? If the EU is left to its own the camel will soon be in the back seat with you.
Appreciate 2
      07-09-2024, 10:26 AM   #85
Car-Addicted
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.91]
They didn't ask me. Must of been a "Karen" survey.
Most US Drivers Support Anti-Speeding Technology in Vehicles: IIHS Survey
June 13, 2024
More than 60% of the drivers in the United States would find it acceptable if their vehicle provided an audible and visual warning when they exceeded the posted speed limit, a survey by Insurance Institute for Highway Safety showed on Wednesday.
The IIHS surveyed a total of 1,802 drivers to gain insight on how they would feel about intelligent speed assistance systems (ISA).
About half said they would not mind a vehicle technology that makes the accelerator pedal harder to press or automatically restricts speed.
https://www.insurancejournal.com/new.../13/779171.htm

I'm sure the Insurance Journal is a completely unbiased source on this
Both of my vehicles have an (ISA) its called a speedometer.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2024, 10:39 AM   #86
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
Cars must be built to beep at speeding drivers in California under new bill
No it isn't the Onion it's the Washington Examiner
The California senate passed legislation that would require all new cars sold or manufactured in the Golden State to beep at drivers and visually alert them when they exceed the speed limit.

"Known as Looney Tunes Roadrunner Assistance" the technology will alert drivers if they exceed the speed limit by greater than 10 miles per hour.

If the bill passes, it is very likely to have ripple effects on car sales across the country, considering that California’s auto market is so large that car makers would make all of their vehicles to be in compliance with the law.

The bill moves to the State Assembly and must pass by Aug. 31.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...nder-new-bill/

You really can't make this stuff up.
FTFY - Beep ....Beep (!)

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 07-09-2024 at 10:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2024, 11:24 AM   #87
Ugly Kar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 to C43 Cab to G42

Quote:
June 13, 2024
More than 60% of the drivers in the United States would find it acceptable if their vehicle provided an audible and visual warning when they exceeded the posted speed limit, a survey by Insurance Institute for Highway Safety showed on Wednesday.
The IIHS surveyed a total of 1,802 drivers to gain insight on how they would feel about intelligent speed assistance systems (ISA).
About half said they would not mind a vehicle technology that makes the accelerator pedal harder to press or automatically restricts speed.

I'm not sure everyone has thought this through. If people actually drove the speed limit in a lot of the areas I drive traffic would be so bad people would be pulling their out and demand a change.

And my car had a visual warning already. Any speed over the speed limit turns red on the speedometer.
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2024, 04:15 PM   #88
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
June 13, 2024

And that's the point. If you tell a LEO you don't know what the speed limit is on the road you are driving, that just indicates you are not paying attention to the task at hand.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 07-09-2024 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 1