BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Uh Oh... C8s Are Depreciating Quicker than C7s

09-11-2024, 01:06 PM   #67
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
The GT350 is one of those cars that I both wish I owned and am absolutely terrified of. Ironically for the same reason, the engine. It's a freaking sweetheart motor, so fun, so revvy, and in a great chassis too. It's also a horribly unreliable motor, and they've long run out of replacements for the voodoo. I don't know what you do now if your motor grenades. And it will.
Has it really been that unreliable or is the oil consumption on the 16s and 17s just making people nervous? They made a lot of changes in 2018 and from there they eat WAY less oil than the earlier cars?

I know a guy that had a 17, said it ate oil like a pig but his 18 drinks nothing between changes.
Appreciate 1
David701672.00
      09-11-2024, 01:09 PM   #68
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550i 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
It was a PP2 so reasonably well sorted, and yes responsive but the loooooooooooooooong hood feels odd after driving smaller cars.
Fair enough!
      09-11-2024, 01:11 PM   #69
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Has it really been that unreliable or is the oil consumption on the 16s and 17s just making people nervous? They made a lot of changes in 2018 and from there they eat WAY less oil than the earlier cars?

I know a guy that had a 17, said it ate oil like a pig but his 18 drinks nothing between changes.
Yeah, my understanding is they made significant changes to address reliability concerns. The bespoke engine and high redline do make me nervous too. I don't have one, so only know what I've have read.
      09-11-2024, 01:23 PM   #70
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVenture View Post
Did I mention that I had a seriously disabled close family member? Want to discuss "virtue signaling" more?

Another indication of poor character is the inability to say "my bad" when confronted with poor behavior. Instead relying on deflection and personal attacks.

Now had you said, "It looks like a Ferrari designed by someone with a "New York State of mind" that would be okay, because New Yorkers are fair game.
My man, you're trying too hard. What's your goal? You think your post is going to make some stranger on a forum reevaluate their life? You're just derailing a thread for no reason.

No one is making fun of people with down syndrome. Just the way everyone grew up talking around here. I'm sorry that you have a disabled family member - my comment wasn't coming from an evil place.

Go ahead and make fun of New Yorkers lmao, I'm not sensitive.

Quote:
Want to keep going? It won't end the way you think.
I almost had an aneurysm trying not to cringe at this shit
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66286.00
      09-11-2024, 02:03 PM   #71
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG View Post
My man, you're trying too hard. What's your goal? You think your post is going to make some stranger on a forum reevaluate their life? You're just derailing a thread for no reason.

No one is making fun of people with down syndrome. Just the way everyone grew up talking around here. I'm sorry that you have a disabled family member - my comment wasn't coming from an evil place.

Go ahead and make fun of New Yorkers lmao, I'm not sensitive.

I almost had an aneurysm trying not to cringe at this shit
What you should have said initially, and all you should have said.

Still pointing fingers instead of owning up. Another indicator of poor character is assuming that others have no compassion or empathy and labelling it "virtue signaling".

You keep trying to deflect. I will be right back at you. Might make it part of my daily routine.

Guys who aren't sensitive don't need to respond to every perceived slight. Or proclaim that they are not "sensitive". I know many New Yorkers, lots of false bravado. And overuse of emojis. Guessing you've had several aneurysms already - No offense, just the way people talk around here.

Last edited by DrVenture; 09-11-2024 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2024, 02:24 PM   #72
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Still pointing fingers instead of owning up. Another indicator of poor character is assuming that others have no compassion or empathy and labelling it "virtue signaling".

You keep trying to deflect. I will be right back at you. Might make it part of my daily routine.

Guys who aren't sensitive don't need to respond to every perceived slight. I know many New Yorkers, lots of false bravado. And overuse of emojis.
On the contrary, I'm being very compassionate by responding to a lonely person desperately seeking attention and approval from strangers on a car forum.

Don't be angry lil' slugger. The post editing and erosion of grammar/spelling is noticeable.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66286.00
      09-11-2024, 02:27 PM   #73
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
On the contrary, I'm being very compassionate by responding to a lonely person desperately seeking attention and approval from strangers on a car forum.

Don't be angry lil' slugger.
You are correct though, a stranger on the internet will never be able to positively influence someone whose parents couldn't or didn't.

And everyone totally believes you are not simply defending poor judgment with aggression. Totally.

Having fun yet? Only one emoji?
      09-11-2024, 02:30 PM   #74
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, my understanding is they made significant changes to address reliability concerns. The bespoke engine and high redline do make me nervous too. I don't have one, so only know what I've have read.
I did some searching about it just a bit ago. Seems like the later year ones drop valves.

Honestly I think it's kinda a case.of a "race engine" where if you don't ride it hard, it's unhappy. But if you do, it wears out faster because it's a race engine. So you're kinda stuck in the middle where you gotta beat on it but you can't, lol.

I would probably just buy a Mach 1 instead. Exotic motors are cool and all, but ones that are bulletproof are better lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2024, 02:34 PM   #75
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You are correct though, a stranger on the internet will never be able to positively influence someone whose parents couldn't or didn't.

And everyone totally believes you are not simply defending poor judgment with aggression. Totally.

Having fun yet? Only one emoji?
Lil angry boy.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66286.00
      09-11-2024, 02:49 PM   #76
DrVenture
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Lil angry boy.
Still at it. Cannot own up, probably a family thing. Betting the whole gang takes zero responsibility for their words/actions. Holidays must be a real treat at the NYG family gathering.

I'll be right here looking forward to your next round of emojis.
      09-11-2024, 07:39 PM   #77
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Some of you people make this place shittier.
Appreciate 3
Alfisti6794.00
philth365.50
      09-12-2024, 10:34 AM   #78
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

The engine in the GT350 is not "bespoke". It's a mass production automotive engine in a mass produced automobile.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2024, 10:48 AM   #79
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Some of you people make this place shittier.
Ain't it funny how worked up some of us get talking about something so silly and trivial as a freaking car?!?!?! I know I'm guilty of it.
      09-12-2024, 11:23 AM   #80
reallymarkedup
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2025 M2 status 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Ain't it funny how worked up some of us get talking about something so silly and trivial as a freaking car?!?!?! I know I'm guilty of it.
I don't think it has anything to do with the car for those people. I think it's just business as usual for them, regardless of the topic. The added anonymity of being on a forum might encourage it a little, but it was already there.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2024, 12:35 PM   #81
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

I'm hardly captain fucking sensitive but there's a billion ways to throw an insult at something without using the word downs. It's that simple really.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2024, 12:42 PM   #82
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
As am I, and it used to bother me, but not anymore. At the end of the day it's just passion, which is a double-edged sword for sure, but I'd rather be surrounded by people with occasionally misplaced passion than people with none at all. And unfortunately, that seems to be the only two choices.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2024, 01:24 PM   #83
FrostyDC4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C63S Sedan|350Z

Garage List
2007 Nissan 350Z  [0.00]
2012 BMW 135i  [4.50]
Is the dual trans really that bad/unreliable? I am hoping I can snag one at the bottom of the depreciation curve.
      09-16-2024, 12:40 PM   #84
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyDC4 View Post
Is the dual trans really that bad/unreliable? I am hoping I can snag one at the bottom of the depreciation curve.
Based on what I see on Corvette Forum, yes, it's every bit that bad, and is only gonna get worse.
Appreciate 1
      09-16-2024, 08:53 PM   #85
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
You might not want to base it on the reply from the guy that was assaulted by the C8
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2024, 06:43 AM   #86
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

back to topic, my dad 's a boomer and he's shopping for a car, around 100k$, budget. 911tt, galardo spider, aston martin or R8 V8, all 6mt.

Who are the targeted buyers? older person, and as an boomer when Ive proposed the C8 he said this is not a corvette, it's a huge PS5 with overassisted controls everywhere , he tried one a weeken from his friend.

a corvette need to have a long nose, front engine, v8 and 6/7mt, and tail happy /end.

i agreed.

Speak like my uncles when they said a v6 automatic mustang is not a mustang, it's a ford fusion
Appreciate 1
philth365.50
      09-17-2024, 09:44 AM   #87
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE. View Post
back to topic, my dad 's a boomer and he's shopping for a car, around 100k$, budget. 911tt, galardo spider, aston martin or R8 V8, all 6mt.

Who are the targeted buyers? older person, and as an boomer when Ive proposed the C8 he said this is not a corvette, it's a huge PS5 with overassisted controls everywhere , he tried one a weeken from his friend.

a corvette need to have a long nose, front engine, v8 and 6/7mt, and tail happy /end.

i agreed.

Speak like my uncles when they said a v6 automatic mustang is not a mustang, it's a ford fusion
Completely agree, and I'm only in my 30s, lol.
Appreciate 1
philth365.50
      Yesterday, 04:18 PM   #88
G MONEY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 458/ YAS m4

Quote:
Hey. Don’t talk about Trans on here. The Karen’s will get but hurt. Oh wait, you meant car trans?
Appreciate 1