E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > White Powder!

03-23-2011, 05:20 PM   #67
mobileadam
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d e92 M Sport

I got mine sorted earlier this year under the AUC. I recall that the actual build date is important - is that written in the engine comparment?

I would ask BMW for a goodwill gesture - could you claim for the 40 quid thing (does this also cover parts?) and then ask nicely for BMW to cover the rest seeing as it is a known problem???

I got turned down for some warranty work on a Z3, I wrote a letter to BMW bracknell and they offered me a 50% discount. Wrote another letter thanking them most kindly but would they please pay the whole bill - got a call a couple of days later to say yep they would.

Worth a try.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 11:21 AM   #68
chris1440
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 320d M Sport

Thanks for the reply. I'll check the build date if it is under the bonnet.
The warranty covers parts up to £1000 plus up to £40 labour.
I'll have a chat to BMW, see if they are prepared to give a discount on the labour costs so that the 3rd party warranty can cover it.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 11:35 PM   #69
sorryd
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320i

Sorry for digging up this old thread. I have experienced the problem and I was wondering if anyone actually knows what the white powder is. Theories I have seen/heard include:
1. Flakes of dried antifungal? coating
2. Aluminum oxide caused by oxidation of the surface of the evaporator
3. Flux (Aluminum Potassium Fluoride?) used in the production of the evaporator

I'd really love to know because I breathed a fair bit before i managed to shut the A/C off and the dealer has only been able to offer vague reassurances so far.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2011, 05:23 AM   #70
92-2T
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 335i SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorryd View Post
Sorry for digging up this old thread. I have experienced the problem and I was wondering if anyone actually knows what the white powder is. Theories I have seen/heard include:
1. Flakes of dried antifungal? coating
2. Aluminum oxide caused by oxidation of the surface of the evaporator
3. Flux (Aluminum Potassium Fluoride?) used in the production of the evaporator

I'd really love to know because I breathed a fair bit before i managed to shut the A/C off and the dealer has only been able to offer vague reassurances so far.
Aluminium oxide and failed protective coating (coating = a paint/lacquer)

The problem is cased by a faulty coating on the evaporator surface. When the coating fails the moisture gets under it and aluminium oxide builds up, until it gets to the point when it all lets go in a big snow storm.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 02:06 PM   #71
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Still searching ...

Never seen anything like that except when the car was parked with the window open close to where I was doing DIY (jigsaw on plastic sheet) in the garage.
So is it an external contaminant from the environment or is it emanating from the ventilation system ? Collect a sample into a sterile container and contact the public health lab and see if they would be interested in analysing it.
      11-27-2011, 04:47 PM   #72
BigBanana
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Beemer F30 335D

I had this start to happen on my 2007 325dse saloon, (which i'd had from new), towards the end of year 4.

I knew it was a recognised quality issue and many people had had a replacement under their (3 year) warranty. I just didn't have the powder signs in the earlier years.

I thought it would be covered by the extended warranty and asked for it to be fixed on a service visit.

Ended up with a bill for £250 because 'the item had not actually failed -
the powder was a consequence of internal corrosion' or a description something similar. My extended policy was changing from a £100 to £250 excess at the time and I think this is what the charge was based on.
However, if it had happened within the 3 year period, it would have been free!

So, be sure before hand, that the warranty will cover it if thats what you are looking for. I was advised the cost was far more than £250.
      11-28-2011, 06:57 AM   #73
Subzero2003
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I had this on my car when i picked it up and had no idea what it was!

I just hoovered it up and got on with it. I rarely use the A/C but i can imagine that when i do - it'll all come back.

Might have to get it booked back in for them to have a look at this - is it covered under the extended warranty? I have £0 excess.
Appreciate 0