BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Top 10 selling vehicles in the USA. 2023

06-10-2024, 05:05 PM   #67
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Alright I think I might want a truck now. My neighbor got his kid a MegaRexx this weekend. I have no idea what it is, but it looks pretty damn cool.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2024, 07:34 PM   #68
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
If you live on a farm, acreage, or even small town then yes a truck makes sense. It's the people living in the concrete jungle using them as city commuters that's a little puzzling to me.
Even living in the suburbs having a truck is super useful. The amount of stuff around the house where a truck is a super useful tool is crazy. The amount of large boxes that we have that won't fit into the trash can (so waste management won't take them because all their trucks are using the can claws), or yard trimmings, etc that even our modest .25 acre creates is crazy. Similarly, our WM won't take that stuff if it doesn't fit into the roller can. You ever tried to stuff a spikey palm frond into a trash can? They don't go in.

It's was more simple to just have a truck than to have a utility trailer. And you don't have to have any special place to keep a truck like you do a trailer.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2024, 09:58 AM   #69
MADBMWX5MC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Drive around Chantilly, Fairfax area in Northen VA and you would think Tesla is the #1 seller here. Can't swing a dead cat w/o hitting one.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2024, 03:36 PM   #70
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llarry View Post
Oddly enough, not a single BMW made the list.
It's not that odd is it? Not a single luxury car made the list so not surprising BMW didn't either.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
Llarry20244.00
      06-12-2024, 04:16 PM   #71
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADBMWX5MC View Post
Drive around Chantilly, Fairfax area in Northen VA and you would think Tesla is the #1 seller here. Can't swing a dead cat w/o hitting one.
They're cheap, and dumb people think they give off the "nice car" vibe.
Appreciate 2
kyriian938.50
Llarry20244.00
      06-12-2024, 04:24 PM   #72
MADBMWX5MC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
Excellent comment, couldnt agree more.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2024, 04:43 AM   #73
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
It's really about virtue signaling with people who live the DMV.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 06-13-2024 at 11:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2024, 09:14 AM   #74
Leucosticte
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi E92 6mt swap

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADBMWX5MC View Post
Same here, they also tend to drive like NPCs out of some open world game like GTA V or something.

I get why people buy them (that tax credit is pretty insane...) but those who do it to "save on fuel" don't make much sense to me. Let's take my uncle for example, traded in his SUV he bought for $30k just 2 months ago for a Model Y Performance because it "drank too much gas." Just doesn't make much sense to me buying a $60k car and eating depreciation on it when you'd have to put $30k worth of gas in your SUV in order for the cost to be worth it (yeah, the SUV will also depreciate but at a slower rate than the Tesla). I also get that what my uncle did was a terrible financial decision and that the average EV buyer hopefully isn't that bad, but still it makes me wonder...

Maybe my math skills suck and there's something that I'm not getting here, considering my job I hope that isn't the case lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2024, 09:49 AM   #75
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leucosticte View Post
Same here, they also tend to drive like NPCs out of some open world game like GTA V or something.

I get why people buy them (that tax credit is pretty insane...) but those who do it to "save on fuel" don't make much sense to me. Let's take my uncle for example, traded in his SUV he bought for $30k just 2 months ago for a Model Y Performance because it "drank too much gas." Just doesn't make much sense to me buying a $60k car and eating depreciation on it when you'd have to put $30k worth of gas in your SUV in order for the cost to be worth it (yeah, the SUV will also depreciate but at a slower rate than the Tesla). I also get that what my uncle did was a terrible financial decision and that the average EV buyer hopefully isn't that bad, but still it makes me wonder...

Maybe my math skills suck and there's something that I'm not getting here, considering my job I hope that isn't the case lol.
EV owners or not, most in the US are terrible with money, live beyond their means, and have a YOLO attitude which will come to bite most in the ass come retirement time (i.e., they'll realize they can't retire because they ain't got enough money).
      06-13-2024, 10:01 AM   #76
Leucosticte
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
EV owners or not, most in the US are terrible with money, live beyond their means, and have a YOLO attitude which will come to bite most in the ass come retirement time (i.e., they'll realize they can't retire because they ain't got enough money).
Yeah it does seem like most people I meet are up to their eyeballs in debt.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2024, 10:04 AM   #77
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Stupid, virtue signalling Tesla NPC open world driver here. My debt to asset ratio kicks major ass though.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2024, 10:11 AM   #78
Leucosticte
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Stupid, virtue signalling Tesla NPC open world driver here. My debt to asset ratio kicks major ass though.
haha!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2024, 11:31 AM   #79
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Disagree. Most people will still try to retire despite not having enough money and then blame other people for their financial situation.

That said, if you're under 50, retirement is probably going to be different than it was in the past unless you truly stacked a shitload of cash. Our national reliance on national debt will come to roost, and all that tax advantages retirement money will be target number 1 so that "everyone pays their fair share".

The US now spends more in interest payments on our debt than we do on defense. People complain about a military industrial complex, but are oblivious to the financial industrial complex.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2024, 12:38 PM   #80
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Canadian Federal government spends more on interest servicing than health care. Think about that for a minute.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2024, 04:07 PM   #81
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Disagree. Most people will still try to retire despite not having enough money and then blame other people for their financial situation.

That said, if you're under 50, retirement is probably going to be different than it was in the past unless you truly stacked a shitload of cash. Our national reliance on national debt will come to roost, and all that tax advantages retirement money will be target number 1 so that "everyone pays their fair share".

The US now spends more in interest payments on our debt than we do on defense. People complain about a military industrial complex, but are oblivious to the financial industrial complex.
Yeah, you base your cash-stacking for the past 30 years on a $3T national debt and then the Meffers blow it up to $33T in the span of less than a decade... it's just not people under 50 who are effed.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 06-14-2024 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2024, 08:45 PM   #82
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
I'm looking to sell my M235 and replace it with a single cab, short bed 2wd 2024 F150 XL which only comes with the 5.0 V8, 10 speed auto, and 3.73 LSD. All 2024 F150 get LED headlights, 12" screens, and such. The MSRP on the truck is like $37K but most can be had for $35ish. All have to be ordered as the dealers aren't allowed to order them for themselves.

I'd then add the nicer XLT/Lariat door cards, leather XLT/Lariat steering wheel, some sort of intake manifold, muffler, Ford Performance drop/leveling kit, 20" wheels and tires, and have an upper 12 second truck. Never had a truck before. My other car is a 2011 Cayman so I'd still have a sportscar.
Pic of the F150?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2024, 12:50 PM   #83
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Pickup trucks are regularly 70-100K.
How are people affording to buy those?

Zero interest in trucks - or anything bigger than a fullsize sedan. I'd buy a minivan before I bought a 60K truck with $3000 tire replacements and 10mpg, and stupid insurance costs.
As long 3-pedals are an option, I will exercise my right to suffer the handicap and indignity of slower shifts and reaction times.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2024, 12:53 PM   #84
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:

What's even more dumb is that this is even a concept. How does a country owe debt to itself? Why are the citizens, who have little to no say how the money is allocated, on the hook for it?

Economics isn't even a science - its a farce that's masquerading around as reality to provide justification for this nonsense. You're being robbed and they added in a few buzzwords and made it seem like it's something else.
As long 3-pedals are an option, I will exercise my right to suffer the handicap and indignity of slower shifts and reaction times.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2024, 10:24 AM   #85
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
Pic of the F150?
I haven't ordered it yet, but I'll do something like this but without such a low drop, not such large rims, and not 4WD.

A YouTuber recently tested his 2024 XL regular cab, short bed 5.0, with an E30 blend and an intake and it ran a 13.1@103mph and it hit the speed limited just after the 1000' mark. It ran 13.3@103mph on 93 octane and 13.4@102mph with 87. That means once the speed limiter can be removed and the truck has a little more mileage, the truck should be able to go upper 12s at 106mph-ish on E30 which is pretty nuts for a basically stock truck. I'm looking at a 2WD which is about 200lbs lighter, but won't be able to launch quite as hard. It should be quicker from a roll.
      06-19-2024, 10:37 AM   #86
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Pickup trucks are regularly 70-100K.
How are people affording to buy those?

Zero interest in trucks - or anything bigger than a fullsize sedan. I'd buy a minivan before I bought a 60K truck with $3000 tire replacements and 10mpg, and stupid insurance costs.
Not all trucks cost that much. Most XLT 4WD crew cab F150s on dealers lots are listed at upper $50s/low 60s and can be had for mid to lower $50s now. The XLTs now are quite loaded up trucks with leather and all the creature comforts. Still a ton of stupid money for a truck though.

Newer F150 crew cab 4WD now get lower 20s on the highway regardless of motor which ain't bad. The single cab/short bed 2WD V8 F150s I'm looking at typically does mid-20s on the highway and lower 20s around town. That's about what my M235 6MT does and the F150 will do that on 87 octane.

As a driving enthusiast, I wouldn't be caught dead driving a minivan. I appreciate the practicality of them and if you look to cars as an appliance, it's ideal, but otherwise dear God no.

Someone needs to develop a larger mid-size unibody truck (basically like a 15-20% bigger Maverick). That would be the "truck" most need and the majority of these buyers don't know the difference between unibody and frame on body. Honda has the Ridgeline (which is largely based on the Odyssey chassis), but until they butch up the looks, the masses aren't interested.
      06-19-2024, 11:41 AM   #87
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Clearly ride quality holds zero value for American drivers. And BMW owners on a BMW enthusiast forum who say they would choose a pickup if they could only have one vehicle absolutely shock me!! Regardless of what anyone says, pickups ride, handle, and drive like sh!t. That is an indisputable fact!! SUVs are barely any better. Even BMW SUVs, which I consider the best riding, handling, and driving SUVs available still don’t come anywhere close to a 3er. I will admit I am biased. I literally despise pickups. One of the best driving things about living in Chicago as opposed to Texas is the relative lack of pickups on the roads. We Texans always say everything is bigger in Texas, and that is generally true, but apparently there are a lot of small d!cks in Texas, because I assure you there are a lot of pickup truck owners who are compensating for something.

I can rent a U-Haul van for $19 for 24 hours and haul almost anything a pickup can haul and if I truly need a pickup I can rent one of those.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Last edited by tturedraider; 06-19-2024 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 2
AmuroRay2848.50
      06-19-2024, 12:19 PM   #88
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Clearly ride quality holds zero value for American drivers. And BMW owners on a BMW enthusiast forum who say they would choose a pickup if they could only have one vehicle absolutely shock me!! Regardless of what anyone says, pickups ride, handle, and drive like sh!t. That is an indisputable fact!! SUVs are barely any better. Even BMW SUVs, which I consider the best riding, handling, and driving SUVs available still don’t come anywhere close to a 3er. I will admit I am biased. I literally despise pickups. One of the best driving things about living in Chicago as opposed to Texas is the relative lack of pickups on the roads. We Texans always say everything is bigger in Texas, and that is generally true, but apparently there are a lot of small d!cks in Texas, because I assure you there are a lot of pickup truck owners who are compensating for something.

I can rent a U-Haul van for $19 for 24 hours and haul almost anything a pickup can haul and if I truly need a pickup I can rent one of those.
Is driving truck that much worse driving a factory modded "performance" SUV? They're all pretty ridiculous all things considered.

A majority of non-German car owners think German car owners are compensating. I've rented trucks for decades due to work and my wife owns a 2020 4Runner on AT tires. I'm fully aware that they are not performance vehicles. They handle like a wet pork chop

I want an fun hotrod single cab truck because of nostalgia, the responsiveness of an NA V8, the sound, the utility, and the simplicity. I've already got a sports car that I'll never part with (2011 Cayman). I love my M235 and I've had practical performance sedans and hatchbacks. I want something completely different but still practical to a different extent.

With all that said, the most practical car we've ever owned is our 2015 Outback 3.6R. That car is and was perfect for a 4 person family. We have a roof top carrier for it and a trailer hitch which we used a trailer basket. The car is quick (low 7 second 0-60), quiet, great MPGs (30mpg on the highway), an off road/snowy road beast, handles quiet good for a wagon, extremely roomy reclining rear seats, bulletproof reliability (the H6 motor is super reliable and understressed), easy and cheap to service, and was great for Home Depot runs, especially with the trailer basket. I could count on one hand the times on one hand that we needed more room to haul something. That car is now my 15 y/o daughter's car.