BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos Still want an EV? (NO POLITICS)

09-02-2024, 03:00 PM   #9131
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
I was responding to another guy who said he wanted a vehicle with a small battery, electric motors, and a small generator to keep the batteries charged. I said that's basically what a Ramcharger is, and he said he didn't want it to be plug in. I said that's silly not not have a plug in. People said the making it a plug in would make it too expensive.

My point was that if there was a car that had the same battery pack and electric motor, and it was either a regular hybrid, or as an option you could add a charging port, nobody would not buy that option, except for a handful of dummies who thought it was standard.
Thanks for the answer. And the other two questions?
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

09-02-2024, 10:05 PM   #9132
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Thanks for the answer. And the other two questions?
Google says 70% efficiency for regenerative braking... I would not have estimated it to be that high. I would have put the figure closer to 20%. But that's kind of the point, even if you don't plug in a PHEV, that's an extra 20% of the kinetic energy you're getting to recycle basically. If you're driving in the city a lot, that's gonna help a lot more than a long highway commute would. And that's to say nothing of being able to fill low rpm power gaps with electric power.

I'm not sure what your other question was. It seems like you were asking what cars had charging optional, and that was a hypothetical to point out that it makes absolutely no sense to have a fairly sizeable battery without charging options. Power boost F150 is a great example, it has a 1.5 kwh battery for its hybrid system, good for about a mile. A lot of owners of those try to drive them in electric only mode pretty regularly. It's probably a little pointless to have a charging port for a mile of range, but if that batter was say, 15kwh, now you're talking 10 miles of range, that's an entire commute for some people, and a good portion of their commute for most. 10 miles of EV range would get me to work without the gas motor (except for going fast). It would absolutely make sense to have a port to charge it. The idea that was floated was to have a similarly sized battery, and kick on a generator every so often to keep it topped off.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2024, 10:59 AM   #9133
eugenebmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: G15 M850i G82 M4, G22 M440

Government is pushing EV. However my power authority is telling me not to BC Hydro is struggle to accommodate higher demands of electric vehicle charging and new heat pumps in older neighborhoods, as well as expand transmission networks for growth.

https://vancouversun.com/news/bc-hyd...-goals-critics
Appreciate 1
M5Rick66289.00
      09-03-2024, 12:35 PM   #9134
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I would have said the same until I owned an EV.

Is it the worst thing in the world? No. These are all first world problems as they say, but if I want to take the miata out in the morning to go for breakfast up the mountain and I get in and see it doesn’t have enough gas. Now I have to stop what I was going to do to go to Walmart or what not to put gas before I can do what I wanted. Maybe it takes 10-15min extra to get there put gas etc… not a big deal, but when I’m in FL for the winter where I basically only drive the Tesla and I come back to NC where I have 3 ICE vehicles I notice how much I actually dislike it. Again it was something that surprised me when I got my Tesla how much I disliked having to put gas. Would have never guessed at that being a benefit until I experienced it.
That is quite possibly the most first world problem I’ve ever seen anyone post here.

09-03-2024, 03:47 PM   #9135
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
That is quite possibly the most first world problem I’ve ever seen anyone post here.
Lol I love filling my 80 litre gas tank up unlike some on here.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1954.00
AmuroRay2848.50
      09-03-2024, 03:57 PM   #9136
Dégoûté
Fun police
Rep
Drives: Cars

Petrol lead still exists in London air 22 years after ban
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-57564953
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2024, 04:52 PM   #9137
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Really? You must miss a lot of post then. Pretty sure someone on here once complained plugging in an EV in their garage would be too much work. After all you would have to grab the plug, lift it, click the button to open the charge port and then push it in with minimal, but not zero, force.

But hey hopefully I’m fortunate enough to continue amazing you with my first world problems.
Appreciate 1
gblansten2383.50
      09-03-2024, 05:45 PM   #9138
dfox
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i 6MT

Quote:
I would have said the same until I owned an EV.

Is it the worst thing in the world? No. These are all first world problems as they say, but if I want to take the miata out in the morning to go for breakfast up the mountain and I get in and see it doesn’t have enough gas. Now I have to stop what I was going to do to go to Walmart or what not to put gas before I can do what I wanted. Maybe it takes 10-15min extra to get there put gas etc… not a big deal, but when I’m in FL for the winter where I basically only drive the Tesla and I come back to NC where I have 3 ICE vehicles I notice how much I actually dislike it. Again it was something that surprised me when I got my Tesla how much I disliked having to put gas. Would have never guessed at that being a benefit until I experienced it.
Honestly, this is an underrated benefit. Zero time at a gas station is awesome. It obviously requires some forethought because you have to think about the range you will need the next time you hop in the car, but never having to pull off my daily commute to fill a tank up is awesome.

"Range anxiety" going from ICE to EV gets replaced with "low gas tank anxiety" going from EV to ICE... different problems for different fuel sources...
Appreciate 2
RM73004.00
      09-03-2024, 08:51 PM   #9139
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
Honestly, this is an underrated benefit. Zero time at a gas station is awesome. It obviously requires some forethought because you have to think about the range you will need the next time you hop in the car, but never having to pull off my daily commute to fill a tank up is awesome.

"Range anxiety" going from ICE to EV gets replaced with "low gas tank anxiety" going from EV to ICE... different problems for different fuel sources...
Nah.

The biggest decision to make is, do I cross the street to fill up, or go to the gas station on my side of the street?

EV range anxiety is planning routes around electic fuel depots and alternate planning in cases where the fuel depot is non-operational or full. You need 4 trip planning aps and 4 charge network aps to cover all travel-charge/payment scenarios. ICEV is driving wherever you want because there is always a gas station, everywhere, with 5-minute refueling. It's just the way it is. You can try and make shit up, but ICEV just don't have range anxiety. The owner can be stupid and run out of fuel, but the system vehicle/refuel network is quite robust and convenient.

And with EV, if you don't have home charging, your screwed.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 09-05-2024 at 07:30 AM..
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66289.00
eugenebmw1954.00
      09-03-2024, 10:16 PM   #9140
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Really? You must miss a lot of post then. Pretty sure someone on here once complained plugging in an EV in their garage would be too much work. After all you would have to grab the plug, lift it, click the button to open the charge port and then push it in with minimal, but not zero, force.

But hey hopefully I’m fortunate enough to continue amazing you with my first world problems.
They people that love going to the gas station are probably the same people that love going to car dealerships too.
      09-03-2024, 10:42 PM   #9141
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
They people that love going to the gas station are probably the same people that love going to car dealerships too.
Probably so!! Who is it you saw post they love going to the gas station? Do tell.

09-03-2024, 10:48 PM   #9142
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

You are absolutely correct. I probably miss quite a few posts.

09-03-2024, 10:57 PM   #9143
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Probably so!! Who is it you saw post they love going to the gas station? Do tell.
M5rick for one, but plenty of others replying before that they don't mind or like filling their car with gas.

The ability to fill your car while doing other things, like working, sleeping, etc., is a definite advantage, as long as you aren't getting stuck at chargers because of poor planning or logistics. But if you can avoid or minimize ever waiting on your car, that's an advantage.
      09-03-2024, 11:01 PM   #9144
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
M5rick for one, but plenty of others replying before that they don't mind or like filling their car with gas.

The ability to fill your car while doing other things, like working, sleeping, etc., is a definite advantage, as long as you aren't getting stuck at chargers because of poor planning or logistics. But if you can avoid or minimize ever waiting on your car, that's an advantage.
You are correct. He did, in fact.

09-03-2024, 11:10 PM   #9145
ZL9M2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 ZL9-'20 M2CS-'68 1600

Quote:
One may not love going to a gas station, but I would take that over strategically re-planning trips based on charging availability and range.
Appreciate 4
M5Rick66289.00
AmuroRay2848.50
eugenebmw1954.00
      09-03-2024, 11:27 PM   #9146
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
And plan cross country road trips every week.

I plug mine to a regular slow ass 120v outlet. More than enough. The furthest I go on a semi regular basis is 140 miles round trip which I can easily do no problem. The VAST majority of my driving is under 5 miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2024, 12:15 AM   #9147
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL9M2 View Post
One may not love going to a gas station, but I would take that over strategically re-planning trips based on charging availability and range.
+1 Until the last two years I have made at least one 1,150 mile trip, each way, from Chicago to Texas and back and I spent about 20 minutes total of my trip each way refueling my car.

09-04-2024, 05:57 AM   #9148
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I have previously stated my situation about EV charging at my home. It would be inconvenient for me. My charging station would have to be at my detached garage/shop, which is a three-minute walk from the house. The ground to traverse is a combination of river sand/stones and grass. In the rain it would completely suck to make that walk over to the EV to unplug it. On top of that I would not have any comms with the car to have it precondition in advance of unscheduled use.

An obvious individual use case, but easier for me just to take an ICEV to the gas station in town 13 miles away when I'm out and about.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 09-04-2024 at 07:16 AM..
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66289.00
eugenebmw1954.00
      09-04-2024, 06:47 AM   #9149
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
You're better off just ignoring his posts. Tesla are some of the worst built cars on the road. This guy rather drive in a tin can on wheels then be at a gas station with commoners

Don't worry. He can microwave his insides at a supercharger for 30 mins to go another 100 miles

The tradeoffs are stupid, the cars are ugly and disposable. Most of the reasons given here to buy or support ev are purely emotional and not based in fact.

It's a waste of time engaging people like this. Don't cast pearls before swine, as some people just like garbage
As long 3-pedals are an option, I will exercise my right to suffer the handicap and indignity of slower shifts and reaction times.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2024, 06:50 AM   #9150
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Lol I love filling my 80 litre gas tank up unlike some on here.
Pumping gas is literally one of the easiest things I Do. It'd crazy that people think 3-5 minutes of activity is getting in the way of "being busy" swiping on Twitter and Reddit.

But 30-90 min charges are ok.
As long 3-pedals are an option, I will exercise my right to suffer the handicap and indignity of slower shifts and reaction times.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick66289.00
eugenebmw1954.00
      09-04-2024, 08:34 AM   #9151
BlkGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
I get the benefit of charging while you sleep. For around town, it makes sense. But the drawback is the car is wholly unacceptable when you go outside of its range. Charging networks be damned, the only place that EVa are convenient is if you're charging them at home. Put in as many charging stations as you want, it's still way more time than I want to spend waiting.

That said, if going to the gas station really bothers you guys so much, there's car filling services where they'll come out and fill your car up for you. It won't help you if you go on a trip, but it's a service that exists (for some reason).

One of my best friends was considering an EV to replace his Tahoe. He droves a crapload so not filling up would be a big benefit for him. That said, he went with a Pilot because he found that if he drove to his office in Naples from his house in fort Myers, then drove back up to fort Myers, picked his family up, then drove up to Disney, he would likely not make it and have to charge on the way. Then he'd have to figure out charging at the hotel. This was a very common.use case for him, so it made more sense for him to go with Pilot and just fill up as needed. The irony is his pilot has like a 14 gallon tank so his range is terrible lol. He has like 100+ miles less range than his old Tahoe had.

All that said, it's why EVa should be a part of the vehicle fleet, but most people can't go to an all EV household. Or you just you know, have a series hybrid or PHEV and not have any of these drawbacks on either side.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2024, 09:18 AM   #9152
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
I get the benefit of charging while you sleep. For around town, it makes sense. But the drawback is the car is wholly unacceptable when you go outside of its range. Charging networks be damned, the only place that EVa are convenient is if you're charging them at home. Put in as many charging stations as you want, it's still way more time than I want to spend waiting.

That said, if going to the gas station really bothers you guys so much, there's car filling services where they'll come out and fill your car up for you. It won't help you if you go on a trip, but it's a service that exists (for some reason).

One of my best friends was considering an EV to replace his Tahoe. He droves a crapload so not filling up would be a big benefit for him. That said, he went with a Pilot because he found that if he drove to his office in Naples from his house in fort Myers, then drove back up to fort Myers, picked his family up, then drove up to Disney, he would likely not make it and have to charge on the way. Then he'd have to figure out charging at the hotel. This was a very common.use case for him, so it made more sense for him to go with Pilot and just fill up as needed. The irony is his pilot has like a 14 gallon tank so his range is terrible lol. He has like 100+ miles less range than his old Tahoe had.

All that said, it's why EVa should be a part of the vehicle fleet, but most people can't go to an all EV household. Or you just you know, have a series hybrid or PHEV and not have any of these drawbacks on either side.
I envision in 2060 the US looking like Cuba does now, with most cars being antique ICEV from the 2000's through 2035.
Appreciate 0