GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

04-17-2016, 08:23 AM   #89
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalunit View Post
I really hope we can figure out what that "flexible element" is and how to remove it. I would consider the cost of swapping the entire steering rack with the GTS version if possible.

I'm baffled that my Audi A6 (also equipped with EPS) has a higher sense of direct connection than my ///M car... that can't be right. The A6 has absolutely no feel/feedback whatsoever, like a computer game really, but it has that direct connection tho.
For the first one, you can poke around realoem.com and check out the part numbers side by side.

For the second comment, I suggest in case you are still running the stock alignment that you get an alignment done at a reputable race shop, not at the dealership robots. It makes a big difference, and they will know the right caster, toe and camber settings for an aggressive street setup.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 08:23 AM   #90
Captain Unknown GT4
Captain
Rep
Drives: GT4

One easy way to get bettet steering is to just put on some cup2 tire with low profile. Due to massive harder frame on the cup2 tire it will steer and brake with better feel. The lower the profile, the more keen to change direction. I always drive my cars on those tire and when on the odd day i happen to drive a normal tire on my sportscars it is like cookiedough, like not as stable under braking, not as crisp and direct on turn in. As well the more solid and dialed in camber and kW suspension make sure more of tire is on the gound while pressure on, that also contribute to steering feel and directness.

Other than that they done something with the swivel bearing in GTS thats not done in M4.

Last edited by Captain Unknown GT4; 04-17-2016 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 07:40 PM   #91
bluekn8286
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BMW M3 Dinan S1

BMW definitely made a great car, but I agree with most folks who have been saying that this is how the M3/4 should have been from the get go. It is sad that we have to pay a huge price to get an M experience. I guess the next best thing is the M2
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2016, 02:47 PM   #92
Captain Unknown GT4
Captain
Rep
Drives: GT4

Last edited by Captain Unknown GT4; 04-22-2016 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 03:14 PM   #93
logicalunit
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
For the first one, you can poke around realoem.com and check out the part numbers side by side.

For the second comment, I suggest in case you are still running the stock alignment that you get an alignment done at a reputable race shop, not at the dealership robots. It makes a big difference, and they will know the right caster, toe and camber settings for an aggressive street setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Unknown GT4 View Post
One easy way to get bettet steering is to just put on some cup2 tire with low profile. Due to massive harder frame on the cup2 tire it will steer and brake with better feel. The lower the profile, the more keen to change direction. I always drive my cars on those tire and when on the odd day i happen to drive a normal tire on my sportscars it is like cookiedough, like not as stable under braking, not as crisp and direct on turn in. As well the more solid and dialed in camber and kW suspension make sure more of tire is on the gound while pressure on, that also contribute to steering feel and directness.

Other than that they done something with the swivel bearing in GTS thats not done in M4.
Thanks for your help and suggestions! I'm not trying anything until I fully understand what's going on. I do understand that having a lower profile tire helps, but I also believe the car should feel better on the 18" wheels as well. Taking the route of having my alignment changed no doubt will help, you do however need to find someone who knows the trade.

I went directly to the source by contacting Joerg @ "Fahrwerkentwicklung" BMW M and received a quick response (ashamedly, only noticed a few minutes ago ).
He's suggesting switching to the GTS steering column. So there you go. Going to try realoem again to double-check if there's a difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2016, 03:31 PM   #94
logicalunit
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4

And no differences found on Realoem. G, tx.
Appreciate 0