BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) 2024 X1 Transmission replacement

07-14-2024, 07:50 AM   #1
airkat32
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2024 X1 Frozen Grey MSport Pro

I need some advice. Im in the EU. I finally got my 2024 X1 after ten months. I went to the dealer to pick it, drove it 400 meters to fill the gas. As soon as I drove off I got a warning to pull over and call service. I took it back and they told me the transmission ECU is faulty but because its attached to the trans the whole tbing needs to be replaced. Now Im waiting for a new one from Germany which they will install at the dealer. My concern is if they will be able to do it correctly. In my mind Im buying a used car now after driving it 400 meters. Anyone have this happen or had the trans replaced on an X1? Can a dealer do this as well as the factory? Any thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2024, 08:37 AM   #2
markronnie
New BMW Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1 28i

Garage List
2024 BMW X1 28i  [9.00]
1st in the USA I believe BMWs come with a Full tank of fuel. So Im shocked it was delivered with low fuel.

Wow. A transmission failure occurring on a brand new vehicle at ONLY 400 meters / 1/4 mile is definitely not acceptable. Expecially after waiting 10 months for A BRAND NEW VEHICLE.

As a note I received $800 back, in a check from BMW, on my 2024 x1 because with less than 1000 miles I had numerous ID9 issues relating to several trips back to service earlier this year in March.

If you do decide to have them fix it by persistent & insist on a great deal of money back as compensation for your inconvenience. 💶💵Call it good Customer Retention. Also, insist BMW provides you a free BMW loaner of Your choice until your x1 is repaired. Id also insist they do the same if you decide to have it replaced instead of repaired.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2024, 09:38 AM   #3
airkat32
Greece
Rep

Thanks bro. Problem is here in EU laws are not as consumer friendly. They told me they were gonna give me a rental, never did. Im ready to consult a lawyer to be honest. Im waiting to see what they are going to offer me.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2024, 09:54 AM   #4
John27
John27
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 23i M Sport

I can't comment on BMW but I had pretty much the same thing happen to me a few years ago with a VW. I purchased a new Mk 2 VW Tiguan in 2016 which was then, a new model. Managed 7 miles before had to return to the dealer who diagnosed a new transmission. Since the model was new, there were no new transmissions available anywhere in Europe so VW had to take one off a car on the production line. Took 9 days. Had that car for nearly 3 years with no further transmission problems. I would have no problem with a dealer replacing the transmission providing they are BMW trained technicians (and not a general garage). I would also expect a goodwill gesture as well (free service or something).
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2024, 11:08 AM   #5
airkat32
Greece
Rep

Thank you for the VW story. Thats kind of what im facing. BMW here in Greece ordered a new transmission for me and they are gonna replace it at an official BMW dealer where I bought it. Im waiting to see how much good will they are gonna have. Not holding my breath though.
Appreciate 1
John2730.00
      07-14-2024, 11:10 AM   #6
airkat32
Greece
Rep

Here are some pics. I really want this thing otherwise I might tell them to stuff it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
SAS X121.00
donnus26.00
Bam-Bam22.50
Vervain471.00
      07-15-2024, 10:01 AM   #7
richiro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X1 M35i

Id ditch it if I were you.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2024, 03:34 AM   #8
John27
John27
United Kingdom
Rep

Perhaps another way to look at this is that if the transmission ECU had failed before collection while the dealer was doing their pre-delivery checks, the transmission would have been replaced and the buyer would not have been any wiser. How many of us have cars where something like that has happened and we just don't know?

Ironically, what is probably a small fault in the ECU necessitates the replacement of the whole transmission because of the design of the X1. Unless OP has identified other problems, I don't think this is indicative of a problem car, just a faulty component.
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2024, 03:38 AM   #9
airkat32
Greece
Rep

Thats what im thinking. I dont really feel like waiting another ten months. Anyway I dont think i have the right to reject the car. They have a right to repair twice I think in the EU. They assured me there would be some good will at some point too so Ill just have to grin and bear it.
Appreciate 1
John2730.00
      07-16-2024, 04:24 AM   #10
John27
John27
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by airkat32 View Post
Thats what im thinking. I dont really feel like waiting another ten months. Anyway I dont think i have the right to reject the car. They have a right to repair twice I think in the EU. They assured me there would be some good will at some point too so Ill just have to grin and bear it.
In your position, I'd do the same.

Good luck.
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2024, 07:01 AM   #11
rittiej
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1M35i

Ask for a warranty extension.
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2024, 10:52 AM   #12
Duncs1961
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11)

I had to have a complete new transmission last January (car 10 months old at that point) - took dealer six weeks to sort it out (not their fault, BMWs fault). Sounds like the same issue as OP only at least mine covered more than 1/4 mile before it shit the bed...

I covered this problem extensively in other posts here.
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2024, 11:04 AM   #13
airkat32
Greece
Rep

They already gave me a 5 year for free. It was a limited time thing BMW gave out here. They just gave me an X2 till its done. Not an X1 but its something.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2024, 02:57 PM   #14
Zach12
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 30e xLine

Wheels, colour and interior look awesome together, so I can see why you were excited to get it. As others have said, it does seem odd that it didnt show in the pre-delivery or even driving it around the dealer from transport to pre-handover wash area.

If the goodwill gesture and loan vehicle are acceptable maybe worth sticking with it, but get everything in writing. Id also maybe want to know if that replacement shows in the online vehicle history.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2024, 11:08 PM   #15
mere
Rep
Drives: X1 U11

Quote:
Originally Posted by markronnie View Post
1st in the USA I believe BMWs come with a Full tank of fuel. So Im shocked it was delivered with low fuel.

Wow. A transmission failure occurring on a brand new vehicle at ONLY 400 meters / 1/4 mile is definitely not acceptable. Expecially after waiting 10 months for A BRAND NEW VEHICLE.

As a note I received $800 back, in a check from BMW, on my 2024 x1 because with less than 1000 miles I had numerous ID9 issues relating to several trips back to service earlier this year in March.

If you do decide to have them fix it by persistent & insist on a great deal of money back as compensation for your inconvenience. 💶💵Call it good Customer Retention. Also, insist BMW provides you a free BMW loaner of Your choice until your x1 is repaired. Id also insist they do the same if you decide to have it replaced instead of repaired.

Good luck.
I received my X1 about 6 weeks ago, and so far it has been in service for 15 days, issue one iDrive9 not working properly, pausing songs for a few seconds and now after spending time in hot weather and I start the car, it starts cracking for about 10 mins until it cools down, it sounds like someone is squeezing an empty plastic bottle 😡the dealer told me some models do that Im like well fix it.. I never had a car that does that.. this is my first bmw and I waited 3 months to get it, I had a Volvo xc40 before ( which I miss), how did you bmw to give back $800, did you write to them directly or through dealer?
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2024, 05:59 AM   #16
markronnie
New BMW Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1 28i

Garage List
2024 BMW X1 28i  [9.00]
[QUOTE=mere;31339172]I received my X1 about 6 weeks ago, and so far it has been in service for 15 days, issue one iDrive9 not working properly, pausing songs for a few seconds and now after spending time in hot weather and I start the car, it starts cracking for about 10 mins until it cools down, it sounds like someone is squeezing an empty plastic bottle 😡the dealer told me some models do that Im like well fix it.. I never had a car that does that.. this is my first bmw and I waited 3 months to get it, I had a Volvo xc40 before ( which I miss), how did you bmw to give back $800, did you write to them directly or through dealer?

Back in March (with less than 1000 miles) I needed to bring my x1 in for various ID9 related, XM radio as well as MyBMW App issues. Initially I called then emailed with the following 2 areas to get all my problems on record. I kept stressing that I was a first time BMW owner & am very upset & if they wanted to keep me happy with my buying experience they need to do something. They ended up offering me $150.
Customer Experience Advocate
Corporate Genius Team

When more of the same type of problems occurred again shortly after that I needed to bring it in for service 3 times within March. This time I documented all problems in writing & net with the service manager & Tech Foreman. Ultimately I made my case with the Service Manager who was aware if the $150 refund. I told him that was not enough of a refund due to continued & ongoing problems. He advocated with corporate office & got me another $650 refund by check.
Tech Foreman
Service Manager

CONTINUE TO STREE HOW UNHAPPY YOU ARE WITH YOUR BUYING DECISION OF A BMW & THAT THEY NEED TO DO SOMETHING TO BUILD BACK THE GOODWILL THEY LOST BECAUSE OF THE ONGOING PROBLEMS. Ultimately that approach worked for me.

I was persistent & professional with everyone I spoke to. I continued to stress that this is the worst buying experience for any vehicle Ive ever had.

Hope this approach works for you & anyone else suffering with the new BMW vehicle. 🤞🤞🤞Good Luck.
Appreciate 3
mere4.50
      07-27-2024, 08:33 AM   #17
mere
Rep
Drives: X1 U11

[QUOTE=markronnie;31339524]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mere View Post
I received my X1 about 6 weeks ago, and so far it has been in service for 15 days, issue one iDrive9 not working properly, pausing songs for a few seconds and now after spending time in hot weather and I start the car, it starts cracking for about 10 mins until it cools down, it sounds like someone is squeezing an empty plastic bottle 😡the dealer told me some models do that Im like well fix it.. I never had a car that does that.. this is my first bmw and I waited 3 months to get it, I had a Volvo xc40 before ( which I miss), how did you bmw to give back $800, did you write to them directly or through dealer?

Back in March (with less than 1000 miles) I needed to bring my x1 in for various ID9 related, XM radio as well as MyBMW App issues. Initially I called then emailed with the following 2 areas to get all my problems on record. I kept stressing that I was a first time BMW owner & am very upset & if they wanted to keep me happy with my buying experience they need to do something. They ended up offering me $150.
Customer Experience Advocate
Corporate Genius Team

When more of the same type of problems occurred again shortly after that I needed to bring it in for service 3 times within March. This time I documented all problems in writing & net with the service manager & Tech Foreman. Ultimately I made my case with the Service Manager who was aware if the $150 refund. I told him that was not enough of a refund due to continued & ongoing problems. He advocated with corporate office & got me another $650 refund by check.
Tech [...]
Thank you! I just sent them an email. I got my car back yesterday and they updated the software to 7.24.30 I think it was just released, no issues with Apple CarPlay yet so hopefully its fixed. But they told me that the sound its just that some x1 models make that noise, they contacted corporate and an engineer checked the car and they pretty much told me it is what it is so my dealer representative told me to contact corporate directly and gave me the foremans contact. So well see
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2024, 09:43 AM   #18
DestinationMoon!
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw X1 U11

If it were me, I'd try to get a new one and drive it before signing the check. Suggest that they put yours into their loaner program when it's fixed
Appreciate 2
      08-02-2024, 05:29 PM   #19
airkat32
Greece
Rep

I just spoke with the central BMW company here and they told me they checked with Germany and there are 60 orders for this particular part before mine! CRAZY! They told me I probably would not get my car till the second part of August. This is some bullshit! Sad to say Im gonna go back to Audi after this shit!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2024, 02:59 AM   #20
clockworkgr
Rep
Drives: X1 2024

Same story for me here (in Greece as well): https://u11.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2124349

Just picked up the courtesy car from Spanos (local BMW dealer), waiting for a completely new transmission (faulty EGS) probably end of August.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2024, 05:18 PM   #21
airkat32
Greece
Rep

From Spano too?? How many km did it take to go bad? Mine had 13 when I picked it up and died 400m later. Sfakianakis initially assured me all types of shit. Well see what they give me for my troubles. Im not even sure Im required to pick the car up. Why should I pay full price for a used car. Dont know what legal rights I have.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2024, 12:33 AM   #22
clockworkgr
Rep
Drives: X1 2024

Picked it up with 10 on the clock....went bad at 780km ...was on vacation away from athens as well
Appreciate 0