BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Considering selling already

07-23-2024, 12:27 PM   #1
mic_crispy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 | 964 | x1 M35

Considering selling already

Venting some frustrations here, but really considering selling my X1 M35 after just 7 months.

Primary reasons are:

'Unlock all doors' does not in fact, unlock all the doors. If you pull on the drivers handle, regardless if this is selected or not, only the drivers side unlocks. Without comfort access in the rear doors, this is actually pretty annoying, especially with two kids who are both still in carseats, so my hands are always full, and now i need to fish the key out of my pocket to open the rear doors. My car spent 2 weeks at the dealer for this, and they logged the issue, but cannot fix it. This is not the correct function and the other X1 they had was the same way.

iDrive latency, Android Auto/Carplay drops. As stated and very well documented on here.

Satellite Radio works 50% of the time. Been to the dealer multiple times for this, but it just randomly stops working.

Absolutely atrocious implementation of auto start/stop. This is also (presumably) exasperated by the DCT transmission needing to engage clutches... Yes, i know you can disable this.... but it has to be done every single time you get in the car. God forbid you forget once and tryin to jump in traffic with a 3-5 second delay. Its actually astonishing that this made it past development.

Having owned many new BMW's in the past, I'm very familiar with being a early adopter.. but the issues have never been this 'front and center'. Really ruins the driving experience.

At this point, I'm asking BMW to buy back the lease, so i can go get a x3 M40 with the older iDrive system.

Its a shame, because I really enjoy the size of this car, the motor, and some aspects of the latest iDrive (navigation in particular).

Anyone else in the same boat?
      07-23-2024, 01:53 PM   #2
Sky33
Rep
Drives: X1

I totally agree and understand your frustrations. Spending this amount of money for a car...considered a premium brand. At the same time we all live in a time when... if the car starts - it is great

1) totally agree, they should change it ( whatever their consultants/lawyers told them about security and doors unlocking)
2) unacceptable in this date and age / even Hyundai and Lexus have the seamless and not dropping connection with the head unit in Android Auto / Carplay. BMW please fix this ( if you care a little bit about your loyal buyers)
3) I use Spotify, so no experience with Sirius but...
4) Yes, I agree
5) I do not know if buying a second or a third year production car would be considered an early adopter...
6) I would no go there because if you look at all other manufactures and their problems.. There is not a 100% perfect car and even if there is, people will still complain
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2024, 04:17 PM   #3
rittiej
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1M35i

Asked them to buy mine back. I could hear the laughing from Germany…..
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2024, 04:39 PM   #4
jones99
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2024 X1 M35i

Garage List
I agree completely with you. My wife is the primary driver and she HATES this car. And honestly, I'm getting tired of trying to defend it. iDrive 9 is just a joke. Here are some issues:

- We have two profiles for the car, and it no longer selects one when you get int he car. You always have to choose one or you use the guest profile.
- The car no longer unlucks the doors when you approach.
- If you play an audio book - which my wife does every day - it always reconnects to the book and starts playing it - even if you shut down the app prior to turning off the car - super annoying if you don't want it to play.
- Sirius is terrible and we have the same issues that have been widely documented
- I absolutely hate auto start/stop and the fact you can't disable it
- The 2023 X1 has a confirmation screen that comes up when you start the car - just like the 2024. But it goes away if you don't dismiss it. The 2024 car will keep it up blocking your view of the screen indefinitely.
- On most days - but not all - startup time for the iDrive system is incredibly slow

I am on the latest update. However, my son just had is 2023 X1 at the dealership and then installed update 7.24 for him. I am hoping that update is available for the 2024 X1. Other updates have fixed some issues so I want to believe that BMW is marching toward getting it right!
Appreciate 2
      07-23-2024, 04:45 PM   #5
mic_crispy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jones99 View Post
I agree completely with you. My wife is the primary driver and she HATES this car. And honestly, I'm getting tired of trying to defend it. iDrive 9 is just a joke. Here are some issues:

- We have two profiles for the car, and it no longer selects one when you get int he car. You always have to choose one or you use the guest profile.
- The car no longer unlucks the doors when you approach.
- If you play an audio book - which my wife does every day - it always reconnects to the book and starts playing it - even if you shut down the app prior to turning off the car - super annoying if you don't want it to play.
- Sirius is terrible and we have the same issues that have been widely documented
- I absolutely hate auto start/stop and the fact you can't disable it
- The 2023 X1 has a confirmation screen that comes up when you start the car - just like the 2024. But it goes away if you don't dismiss it. The 2024 car will keep it up blocking your view of the screen indefinitely.
- On most days - but not all - startup time for the iDrive system is incredibly slow

I am on the latest update. However, my son just had is 2023 X1 at the dealership and then installed update 7.24 for him. I am hoping that update is available for the 2024 X1. Other updates have fixed some issues so I want to believe that BMW is marching toward getting it right!
Oh yeah you just reminded me about the useless the profiles... i gave up on that.

BMW can probably work through the lag/startup and Sirius issues.

The door unlock one still baffles me. If you pull the passengers handle, it will unlock all doors. But the drivers handle wont. So bizarre that i have to believe it was for some reason intentional. The Auto start/stop they will not change. Every X1 left the factory like that, so it was tested during production and deemed 'good enough'. Which fine, if you could give me the option to disable permanently(which they wont due to emissions). Maybe coders can code it out, but thats unlikely given how connected iDrive 9 is.

Ive shopped around, and with minimal negotiation have been able to close to what i owe... so i think im not that stuck and probably wont even bother getting BMW NA involved if i can get a dealer to give me within ~1k of what i owe.

Its funny, i have a older BMW 2002 (1976) sitting in my garage as well with (as you can imagine) zero bells and whistles (outside of a updated bluetooth amp) and the night/day difference between that thing just working like you want it to and this X1 is alittle eye opening. We may have reached a point in these cars where theres just too much software in the way of driving... or perhaps it will take another decade. Its crazy that these roll off the line with ticky tack issues.

Last edited by mic_crispy; 07-23-2024 at 04:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2024, 05:34 PM   #6
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic_crispy View Post
Oh yeah you just reminded me about the useless the profiles... i gave up on that.

BMW can probably work through the lag/startup and Sirius issues.

The door unlock one still baffles me. If you pull the passengers handle, it will unlock all doors. But the drivers handle wont. So bizarre that i have to believe it was for some reason intentional. The Auto start/stop they will not change. Every X1 left the factory like that, so it was tested during production and deemed 'good enough'. Which fine, if you could give me the option to disable permanently(which they wont due to emissions). Maybe coders can code it out, but thats unlikely given how connected iDrive 9 is.

Ive shopped around, and with minimal negotiation have been able to close to what i owe... so i think im not that stuck and probably wont even bother getting BMW NA involved if i can get a dealer to give me within ~1k of what i owe.

Its funny, i have a older BMW 2002 (1976) sitting in my garage as well with (as you can imagine) zero bells and whistles (outside of a updated bluetooth amp) and the night/day difference between that thing just working like you want it to and this X1 is alittle eye opening. We may have reached a point in these cars where theres just too much software in the way of driving... or perhaps it will take another decade. Its crazy that these roll off the line with ticky tack issues.
For the comfort access, from the drivers door, does it not unlock all doors if you pull the inside of the handle a second time? This is how mine behaves when I don’t have proximity unlocking enabled.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2024, 07:55 PM   #7
mic_crispy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
For the comfort access, from the drivers door, does it not unlock all doors if you pull the inside of the handle a second time? This is how mine behaves when I don’t have proximity unlocking enabled.
I'm talking about the outside handle. On all BMWs I've owned, if you have the 'unlock all doors' option enabled, and you pull the outside handle to unlock, all the doors unlock.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2024, 08:14 PM   #8
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
I'm talking about the outside handle. On all BMWs I've owned, if you have the 'unlock all doors' option enabled, and you pull the outside handle to unlock, all the doors unlock.
Yes, I know you’re talking about the outside handle. I’m asking if you’ve tried it. On some BMW’s the comfort access has worked this way if you didn’t have the all doors option checked.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2024, 08:43 PM   #9
rocketman99
Lurker
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C, '24 X1 M35

I have never run into the unlock all doors issue, I can only assume this is something related to using the keyfob for comfort access? I use the digital key on my phone and have it set to all unlock. As soon as I get in close range of the car all the doors unlock. Perhaps use your phone for your key?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2024, 12:05 PM   #10
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

On the unlock doors I thought this was a setting that decided the behaviour of only the drivers door / passenger door or all doors when its open. It can be set as far as I remember, we changed it once never an issue again (ID8 mind you).

As for ID9 issues, many have found the later versions to be of significant improvement so check the other thread on issues and versions and check if the dealer has any updates you don't have. The UK was a beta tester and at the beginning it was dreadful many wanted ID9 but got ID8 and like us are pretty thankful we did in the end it's been absolutely fine and super quick.

Although I have to admit having an X3 with buttons and ID7 its way easier to operate day to day. Speaking to a car is one thing to get it to do something, entirely different if you have kids or clients in the car; what do they think you should do ask everyone to be quiet whilst you find to get the car do do something I mean really. Old ID7, press a single button and hey presto away it goes, give the 7 key buttons back and I think many would be much happier, progress it is not.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2024, 09:34 AM   #11
BenDiem
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M240i xDrive

I just received mine yesterday.
I just put the transmission in Sport mode. No start/stop issues.
Can anyone else confirm this?
      07-27-2024, 09:36 AM   #12
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDiem View Post
I just received mine yesterday.
I just put the transmission in Sport mode. No start/stop issues.
Can anyone else confirm this?
Auto start/stop is disabled in Sport mode.
Appreciate 1
BenDiem77.50
      07-28-2024, 04:27 PM   #13
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

I too, just picked up a 2024 X1 2.8. The lack of all doors opening is absolutely retarded, ridiculous.

I’m getting used to the lack of physical buttons. I’ll see how I do after 11 BMWs with buttons

Day two. Putting her to work

Name:  IMG_9084.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  567.0 KB
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
2024 U11 X1 2.8i
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2024, 04:35 PM   #14
mic_crispy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell325 View Post
I too, just picked up a 2024 X1 2.8. The lack of all doors opening is absolutely retarded, ridiculous.

I’m getting used to the lack of physical buttons. I’ll see how I do after 11 BMWs with buttons

Day two. Putting her to work

Attachment 3513499
Nice color.
And it's crazy right ? When you set all doors open, and pull the driver's door, they should all open....
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2024, 04:48 PM   #15
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

Quote:
Nice color.
And it's crazy right ? When you set all doors open, and pull the driver's door, they should all open....
Thanks. I hadn’t seen the colour in person, but I’m happy

SO FRUSTRATING
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
2024 U11 X1 2.8i
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2024, 05:58 PM   #16
justsurfinthrough
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (2024)

Same boat here... and we also asked the dealer to buy it back.

Quote:
Venting some frustrations here, but really considering selling my X1 M35 after just 7 months.

Primary reasons are:

'Unlock all doors' does not in fact, unlock all the doors. If you pull on the drivers handle, regardless if this is selected or not, only the drivers side unlocks. Without comfort access in the rear doors, this is actually pretty annoying, especially with two kids who are both still in carseats, so my hands are always full, and now i need to fish the key out of my pocket to open the rear doors. My car spent 2 weeks at the dealer for this, and they logged the issue, but cannot fix it. This is not the correct function and the other X1 they had was the same way.

iDrive latency, Android Auto/Carplay drops. As stated and very well documented on here.

Satellite Radio works 50% of the time. Been to the dealer multiple times for this, but it just randomly stops working.

Absolutely atrocious implementation of auto start/stop. This is also (presumably) exasperated by the DCT transmission needing to engage clutches... Yes, i know you can disable this.... but it has to be done every single time you get in the car. God forbid you forget once and tryin to jump in traffic with a 3-5 second delay. Its actually astonishing that this made it past development.

Having owned many new BMW's in the past, I'm very familiar with being a early adopter.. but the issues have never been this 'front and center'. Really ruins the driving experience.

At this point, I'm asking BMW to buy back the lease, so i can go get a x3 M40 with the older iDrive system.

Its a shame, because I really enjoy the size of this car, the motor, and some aspects of the latest iDrive (navigation in particular).

Anyone else in the same boat?
Yep, us too. My wife and I loved the size and features, fit and finish, and handling of the X1, but after driving it for only a few days around town we immediately ran across how frustrating it is for day-to-day use. We share most of your complaints and more (most of which are documented somewhere in this thread and forum).

I have a software background, and I've personally spent about 20 hours trying to understand the features and operations to make sure our frustrations weren't just an issue with settings. But nope, I just confirmed how difficult and glitchy the car's features are to use. The UI/UX design by itself seems terribly misguided. Many of the hi-tech features - while really great in concept - are frustrating to access and manage, and many do not seem to work consistently or reliably well. That said, the Nav and Harmon Kardon sound system are both outstanding!

And don't even get me started about "MyModes", which has to be the most obtuse (to be kind) system ever for customizing settings. I have no idea what BMW is thinking here. And it seems to be some kind of a centerpiece for "simplifying" the customization of the driving experience (complete with its own dedicated "MyModes" console button), but does exactly the opposite. I would like to hear BMW's explanation for why, for example, I can't customize the driving characteristic settings available in "Sport Mode" (suspension, steering, shift-points, and auto-stop/start) without completely changing the dashboard, head-up display, and interior lighting (and more)? Absolutely brain-dead.

As for the driving experience, I would characterize the X1's driving manners as zoomy and jerky. It's acceleration, handling, and gas mileage specs are stellar, but it's drivetrain and driving manners are just plain horrible around town and in stop and go traffic. The implementation of auto start/stop is the worst I've ever experienced. The throttle response and transmission seem to be disconnected from the driver - and sometimes even "lost" - during what should be routine acceleration and deceleration. It's particularly pronounced and problematic at slower speeds.

To me, this car should have never passed BMW quality control. I do have some hope that most of these issues could be fixed or mitigated with software updates. And hope is all we have at this point as our request to the dealer to buy the car back from us (after just 2 weeks and 350 miles) was met with a ridiculously low offer. I have asked to talk to the regional BMW rep about our experiences, but so far "crickets". Even in retrospect, we still believe it was fair to assume and expect so much better from a BMW upon purchasing the car. A hard lesson learned.

Last edited by justsurfinthrough; 07-28-2024 at 07:12 PM..
Appreciate 3
      07-30-2024, 12:40 PM   #17
Zach12
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 30e xLine

I’ve read some of the unlock door comments, I’ve always used the key to double press… but in case anyone was wondering the same “comfort handle access only opens the drivers door” is present on ID8 so isn’t a change on later models.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2024, 01:33 PM   #18
FZI89
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW iX1, U11

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach12 View Post
I’ve read some of the unlock door comments, I’ve always used the key to double press… but in case anyone was wondering the same “comfort handle access only opens the drivers door” is present on ID8 so isn’t a change on later models.
Not sure why so many people are having this problem. When I set unlock all doors, it unlocks all doors. This applies to comfort access, key fob, smartphone. I’m on iDrive 8. Never had a problem with it on any of the software versions.
Appreciate 2
      08-02-2024, 05:29 PM   #19
a0krn
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2023 x28i

[QUOTE=FZI89;31349736]Not sure why so many people are having this problem. When I set unlock all doors, it unlocks all doors. This applies to comfort access, key fob, smartphone. I’m on iDrive 8. Never had a problem with it on any of the software versions.

Might be just the folks that are on Idrive9 that are having this issue. I was wondering how to unlock all the doors as well idrive8 but it’s under another layer of settings I think.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2024, 08:59 AM   #20
Posseidox
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 XDrive25e

[QUOTE=a0krn;31358116]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FZI89 View Post
Not sure why so many people are having this problem. When I set unlock all doors, it unlocks all doors. This applies to comfort access, key fob, smartphone. I’m on iDrive 8. Never had a problem with it on any of the software versions.

Might be just the folks that are on Idrive9 that are having this issue. I was wondering how to unlock all the doors as well idrive8 but it’s under another layer of settings I think.
I got IDrive 9, and when I choose that setting, all doors unlock for me. They unlock through the key fob, phone, card, and all that jazz.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2024, 09:40 AM   #21
Hartside
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 U11 30e MSport

IDrive 9 here also and all doors unlock like they should
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2024, 04:13 PM   #22
mic_crispy
Lieutenant
Rep

Just an update here, started the buyback process from BMW... lets see how that goes.

In a perfect world, they buy it back and i go to a 2024 x3 M40i.
I actually do like the looks of the 2025 X3, but its on iDrive 9 and don't want to deal with the same software headaches (and inability to code out Start/Stop).