BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) New USA BMW 2024 X1 28i Owner’s thoughts:

05-10-2024, 10:33 AM   #1
markronnie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X1 28i

Garage List
2024 BMW X1 28i  [0.00]
New USA BMW 2024 X1 28i Owner’s thoughts:

I’m a first time BMW who has driven just 1800 miles over the 5-1/2 months since picking it up in late December 2023.

These are several thoughts that come to mind which if I were to buy it again or another X1 in the future would need to be added or fixed:
1. BMW must insure that all IDrive 9 features/functions properly before launching vehicles to customers. Tired of being test dummy & awaiting for fixes to come in updates.
2. BMW should offer VENTILATED FRONT SEATS, even if it’s an option.
3. BMW should have X1’s Stop/Start engine function work as well as their X3 does.
4. BMW should not GO CHEAP BY REMOVING FEATURES typically on a vehicle in the price point. Adding A LIGHT WITHIN THE GLOVEBOX & (2 or 4) TIE DOWNS in rear as an SUV (SAV) should have. IT’S A SAFETY ISSUE BY NOT HAVING THEM AS STANDARD EQUIPMENT.

While there are several other smaller issues, like most vehicle manufacturers have, the above corrections/changes/fixes are what I would call major resolutions requiring to move me into another X1 in the future.

I like the overall look inside & out.
I like its turning ratio & maneuverability.
I like the Technology built in (if only it all worked all the time)
I like the horsepower & the relatively high MPG achieved.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 11:34 AM   #2
X1-CT
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

The car has some quirks for sure. I pretty much agree completely with what you said. I don’t mind the start stop in vehicles but the x1 is bizzare how it works. It’s almost impossible to come to smooth stop and not have the engine turn off then back on before you stop. The car seems to apply its own brakes to make me stop.

I also don’t like how it only goes off for like 60 seconds. Maybe a little more but usually never the full duration of a stoplight.

That’s about my only major criticism.

One other. If you get out of the car with it running the horn beeps a bunch of times. So stopping at my mailbox or jumping out to grab something from the trunk the car honks. Why not just a couple beeps of the lock/unlock sound?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2024, 01:12 AM   #3
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by markronnie View Post
I’m a first time BMW who has driven just 1800 miles over the 5-1/2 months since picking it up in late December 2023.

These are several thoughts that come to mind which if I were to buy it again or another X1 in the future would need to be added or fixed:
1. BMW must insure that all IDrive 9 features/functions properly before launching vehicles to customers. Tired of being test dummy & awaiting for fixes to come in updates.
2. BMW should offer VENTILATED FRONT SEATS, even if it’s an option.
3. BMW should have X1’s Stop/Start engine function work as well as their X3 does.
4. BMW should not GO CHEAP BY REMOVING FEATURES typically on a vehicle in the price point. Adding A LIGHT WITHIN THE GLOVEBOX & (2 or 4) TIE DOWNS in rear as an SUV (SAV) should have. IT’S A SAFETY ISSUE BY NOT HAVING THEM AS STANDARD EQUIPMENT.

While there are several other smaller issues, like most vehicle manufacturers have, the above corrections/changes/fixes are what I would call major resolutions requiring to move me into another X1 in the future.

I like the overall look inside & out.
I like its turning ratio & maneuverability.
I like the Technology built in (if only it all worked all the time)
I like the horsepower & the relatively high MPG achieved.
I agree with all that you said ^ , but I wanted to add a few more things to the list:

1. Since we are on the topic of iDrive 9, its well-known at this point of how horrible that Operating System (OS) is... but does it get any worse you ask?? The answer is ABSOLUTELY - BMW has a new subscription - based service called: "BMW Digital Premium" and its basically grants you access to things like BMW enhanced Maps, The Intelligent Personal Assistant, additional driving modes, etc. That said, new X1 owners are giving a trial period of around 3 months, and once the trial is up, you will need to pay ~ $10 a month to continue to have access to said features.....?? Nobody... Nobody at all, here BMW goes, once again, giving us things that nobody asked for.....

2. I don't like how the driving mode will change the ambient lighting, but X5/X6/X7/XM models have the option to separate the ambient lighting from the driving mode??

3. I don't like how that horrid iDrive system is touch only (i.e., no controller knob) - I find myself having to take my eyes off the road more and more to deal with that thing

4. Oh and one more thing I forgot to mention, but BMW's Digital Premium subscription will allow you to play games on the screen via "Air Console Games"..... AIN'T no body ever goin' play games on that thing!!

I love and will forever love BMW, but someone needs to try unplugging the whole brand and plugging it back in, because this ain't it!

Besides that, I think they did a good job styling the X1! The tricky part with the X1 is finding its niche - A fully loaded X1 will put you in X3 territory and so I'm sure potential customers will ask themselves if they should just go up to the X3

Lastly, I miss my 2015 BMW X1 - sDrive28i (recall that this model was based on the E90 3 series chassis/platform) - I named my X1 "Elliot" and I feel the handling hasn't been the same since... oh well

Anyways, y'all stay safe out there!

Cameron
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2024, 11:25 AM   #4
spmcewen
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
I'm curious how you put so few miles on it in half a year. My family has 2 cars. I work from home and rarely go far during the week. My wife commutes with the X1 on average once per week (40 miles round trip). I got the X1 in Nov 2023 (and got iDrive 8!) In about the same number of weeks we have close to 8000 miles.

I don't share your level of concern of 4 issues you wrote about but realized some of that may be from having iDrive 8 and never experiencing ventilated seats. Updating to 03/2024.40 seems to have made a nice difference with the auto start stop for me. It definitely feels smoother and less noticeable. I think I've opened my glovebox 3 times so far to get the hex key for my bike rack. I don't miss the glovebox light at all.
Appreciate 2
timesone186.00
BMWZ41914.00
      05-11-2024, 03:15 PM   #5
markronnie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X1 28i  [0.00]
SPMCEWEN: 2 factors will answer Your question about why I have such very low mileage on 2024 x1 since picking it from dealer in late December.
1. experience for the first 800 miles (through 3rd week of March) was horrible. Many problems having to do with ID9 & several features paid for but not recognized by vehicle & did not work. Problems all noted throughout this forum on several threads. Simply put, X1 was NOT enjoyable to drive & instead chose to use my other vehicle a 2019 Acura RDX instead most of the time. Most problems finally rectified in late March & since then we have driving it more to get used to it & learn how it works.

2. Primary driver is my wife who has worked from home for past decade or so. The 10 year old car we traded in for the X1 had only 30,000 miles on it & the dealer was happy to get it. So you see it’s estimated the X1 will be driven an estimated 3k miles a year.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 05:54 PM   #6
dsallean
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5, 2001 Porsche 986

Quote:
I
First thing I did in my wife's was order and install the tie downs in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 06:19 PM   #7
Corals
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 x40i, 2024 X1 M35i

I completely agree. Man, after six months of owning the X1 M35i, the damn iDrive system is incredibly frustrating. From taking over a minute to load when you start the car, CarPlay issues, dropping the active profile, randomly dropping XM radio, it's a pile of garbage.

Then we get to the start/stop which in stop/go traffic is a nightmare. I have to put it in sport and burn more gas just so I'm not infuriated by the clunkiness of the transmission.

I can live with everything else. The car is a hoot to drive, the seats are comfy, it looks great.. but man the technology is next level bad.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2024, 06:35 PM   #8
markronnie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X1 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallean View Post
First thing I did in my wife's was order and install the tie downs in the rear.
Can you provide all the part #’s you ordered & an estimate of what they cost? Also, did you go through the dealer or another website?
Appreciate 1
tex26702425.50
      05-16-2024, 08:54 PM   #9
COOLGREANY
Riding BMWs since 1977
Rep
Drives: 24 xDrive28i Space Silver

Garage List
Quote:
Can you provide all the part #’s you ordered & an estimate of what they cost? Also, did you go through the dealer or another website?
Per the part numbers provided in earlier thread at https://u11.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...=Lashing+rings , these ones should work.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ye-51477271174

I just checked mine and the bolt is M8 so I may try a less expensive generic option from Amazon but need to do some more measuring.
      05-17-2024, 11:08 AM   #10
dsallean
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5, 2001 Porsche 986

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLGREANY View Post
Per the part numbers provided in earlier thread at https://u11.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...=Lashing+rings , these ones should work.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...ye-51477271174

I just checked mine and the bolt is M8 so I may try a less expensive generic option from Amazon but need to do some more measuring.
Yes, I got mine from FCP Euro. Easy install.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 02:45 PM   #11
LOFT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

I currently own a '22 BMW X5 45e and thinking about buying an X1. The stop/start on the 45e is seamless...barely notice it.

From a youtube video an X1 test driver had the same complaint, but said that the stop/start function can be turned off, deep in the auto preferences.

Is this a viable option?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2024, 04:32 PM   #12
markronnie
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW X1 28i  [0.00]
There are several other threads about the Start/Stop function being horrible. When I got my 2019 Acura RDX, I got used to always turning it off when I start up. I do the same in my 2024 X1 28i.
Additionally, I either use the default “Personalmode or
Sportmode with the drivetrain in comfort (less aggressive non-sporty mode).
Driving Dynamics in Sport &
Steering in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 06:15 AM   #13
MADBMWX5MC
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5MC

OP good review, I am sure will assist some folks as the make decisions. I had an 2013 X1 back in the day. It was a solid one, which I traded for an X3 and now I have an X5. Hopefully I stop there...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 07:48 AM   #14
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

A test drive might have helped spotting some of your concerns prior to purchase, no? Not ID9, but the other stuff...
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0