BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) am I resetting the TPMS correctly after tire rotation?

04-13-2024, 09:26 AM   #1
Petroleum
Private
Rep
Drives: German

am I resetting the TPMS correctly after tire rotation?

this is how I do it:

1. prior to rotation, the TPMS reading were correct, meaning that the PSI readings displayed on the screen matched the reading that I got using a tire gauge

2. after rotation, inflate each tire to the correct pressure according to the factory specs, checked again with a different tire gauge to make sure they have the same reading

3. go into the tire menu and let it start detecting

4. drive normally for several minutes until it goes from 0% to 100%

The tire menu does eventually recognize the rear tires as being the new front tires, while the front tires are now the rear tires. The screen shows the same reading as my tire gauge.

Strangely, the very next day, the screen is showing that all 4 tires as having 3 to 5psi too much. I check again with two different tire gauges and they both match(same as the factory spec). I repeat the above steps and let the X1 detect the tires. Afterwards, it showed the correct tire pressure(again, matching both tire gauges)

Guess what, the day after that, the TPMS again showed that all 4 tires had too much air.

Does anybody know why it's doing that? Do I need to visit a BMW dealer for them to check this out?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 10:50 PM   #2
FZI89
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW iX1, U11

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petroleum View Post

this is how I do it:

1. prior to rotation, the TPMS reading were correct, meaning that the PSI readings displayed on the screen matched the reading that I got using a tire gauge

2. after rotation, inflate each tire to the correct pressure according to the factory specs, checked again with a different tire gauge to make sure they have the same reading

3. go into the tire menu and let it start detecting

4. drive normally for several minutes until it goes from 0% to 100%

The tire menu does eventually recognize the rear tires as being the new front tires, while the front tires are now the rear tires. The screen shows the same reading as my tire gauge.

Strangely, the very next day, the screen is showing that all 4 tires as having 3 to 5psi too much. I check again with two different tire gauges and they both match(same as the factory spec). I repeat the above steps and let the X1 detect the tires. Afterwards, it showed the correct tire pressure(again, matching both tire gauges)

Guess what, the day after that, the TPMS again showed that all 4 tires had too much air.

Does anybody know why it's doing that? Do I need to visit a BMW dealer for them to check this out?
This is completely normal. When you drive and the tires get hot, the pressure increases. 3-5 psi is within the normal increase range.
The higher reading on the screen/app is the reading at the end of your journey. When you reset the TPMS the next day, your tires are back to normal temperature and that’s why the reading is back to normal.

This is why you should always pump your tires cold at the beginning of a journey.

I have 2.4 bar pressure, but this goes up to 2.6/2.7 bar during a drive and then goes back down to 2.4 the next morning.
Appreciate 0