BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Digital Premium - worth it?

03-04-2024, 03:18 AM   #1
Splont
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i MSport

Digital Premium - worth it?

I have had my X1 for three months and the free trial of Digital Plus has ended and the evil BMW corp want to bleed me for more money

The only thing I think I will miss is having the Spotify app built in. 3D buildings on maps, the extra my modes not so much. Cannot think of anything that really makes this worthwhile for the subscription amount.

For those that have subscribed why do you think it is/was worth it?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2024, 04:28 PM   #2
MarcVD
Rep
Drives: 418 dA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splont View Post
For those that have subscribed why do you think it is/was worth it?
Still in the trial period and probably not have tested every feature yet. What I appreciate the most so far is the augmented reality view in the navigation system. Wife loves it too. Probably going to subscribe.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 02:38 AM   #3
Mootsj
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: IX1 XDrive30 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcVD View Post
Still in the trial period and probably not have tested every feature yet. What I appreciate the most so far is the augmented reality view in the navigation system. Wife loves it too. Probably going to subscribe.
Same here, Really like the AR but not sure it's worth whatever the cost is once it expires at the end of this month...
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 04:21 AM   #4
MMandov
Rep
Drives: iX1 eDrive20

AR is part of Driving Assistant Pro package and is not related to Digital Premium.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 11:54 AM   #5
PatL
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 X1 28i

Here is what I am tracking as components of digital premium:

- enhanced BMW Maps
- real time traffic beyond current route (eg browsing the map): not really real time, but mostly accurate. Without premium, traffic is displayed only for the route being followed during navifation. That said, Waze or google maps are pretty good here,
- prices for gas at stations found while navigating: the prices are not accurate but you can still see the stations that charge (way) more than others. Without premium, only the gas stations are displayed
- enhanced landmarks visuals: I don't understand what this is

- entertainment and apps:
- spotify is great, works without interruption and doesn't use the phone battery
- other than that, not much.

- additional driving profiles: I don't see much value in that

I am thinking I will keep just because of Spotify until the CarPlay is fixed.

Last edited by PatL; 04-16-2024 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: added more details about enhanced BMW Maps
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 03:08 PM   #6
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Most of that is standard and included in ID8 for no additional premium, real shame BMW is resulting to these things. Don’t get me wrong it does offer more but at a not in significant cost.
Appreciate 1
Splont4.50
      03-05-2024, 03:31 PM   #7
Tomduck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 X1 18d Msport

Has 3D maps whatever that is, not AR.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 04:22 AM   #8
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomduck View Post
Has 3D maps whatever that is, not AR.
AR is via another pack entirely and isn't part of a subscription service, you need tech pack plus to get it which also give you the HUD.
Appreciate 2
      03-06-2024, 07:57 AM   #9
Splont
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatL View Post
Here is what I am tracking as components of digital premium:

- enhanced BMW Maps
- real time traffic: not really real time, but mostly accurate. That said, Waze or google maps are pretty good here,
- enhanced landmards visuals: I don't understand what this is
I used navigation the other day post expiry and traffic was still showing. I guess it might not be quite real time anymore but still useful. I certainly did not miss any visual enhancements, like 3d buildings. Too busy looking at the road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatL View Post
- entertainment and apps:
- spotify is great, works without interruption and doesn't use the phone battery
- other than that, not much.

I am thinking I will keep just because of Spotify until the CarPlay is fixed.
I enabled Android Auto again to see how it integrates as not really used it since getting the car. Spotify worked quite well without the app installed in the car. I could still use idrive rather than the AA interface, Spotify showed in one of the tiles on the home screen, and even still use BMW navigation (I like the HUD integration) instead of Google Maps if I wanted. I browsed the apps available under Digital Premium and had no interest in any of them.

The one issue I did encounter on one trip, I could not amend the volume as it was adamant I wanted to change the navigation volume despite navigation not being active. So not perfect but definitely means I am not paying the subscription! Hopefully Carplay is fixed soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 09:23 AM   #10
Mootsj
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB1 View Post
AR is via another pack entirely and isn't part of a subscription service, you need tech pack plus to get it which also give you the HUD.
I have tech plus pack, it states that for AR the subscription to the Digital premium pack is also required.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 03:45 PM   #11
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mootsj View Post
I have tech plus pack, it states that for AR the subscription to the Digital premium pack is also required.
Nooooooo really, that’s terrible that’s a fundamental advantage of having the Tech Pack Plus in the first place that it came with that. For the ID8 there are only subscriptions to get real time maps and map updates after three years everything else is included as standard nav related.

I’m genuinely staggered they have effectively put features standard like that on ID8 behind a paywall on ID9.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 11:44 PM   #12
rlynn92
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330i,X1 M35i

Quote:
Most of that is standard and included in ID8 for no additional premium, real shame BMW is resulting to these things. Don’t get me wrong it does offer more but at a not in significant cost.
Agreed. Spotify is standard in my ID7. This feels especially slimy when CarPlay doesn’t work.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 06:26 AM   #13
Mootsj
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Nooooooo really, that’s terrible that’s a fundamental advantage of having the Tech Pack Plus in the first place that it came with that. For the ID8 there are only subscriptions to get real time maps and map updates after three years everything else is included as standard nav related.

I’m genuinely staggered they have effectively put features standard like that on ID8 behind a paywall on ID9.
So my Digital Premium pack has expired, and AR is still available on the maps. I've not really noticed much go missing other than games which my son liked, and the speed camera notifications.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 07:27 AM   #14
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mootsj View Post
So my Digital Premium pack has expired, and AR is still available on the maps. I've not really noticed much go missing other than games which my son liked, and the speed camera notifications.
That's good the AR and others have stayed, why they have restricted it when you have effectively paid for it already in options packs would be more than a little frustrating. Why they are also limiting map data to route only if you haven't got the premium is also baffling.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 09:16 AM   #15
John27
John27
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 23i M Sport

I'm in the same position as OP in just being notified free period is over. Doesn't really affect me. Use Android Auto (which now seems to be fixed) for Waze for maps and Spotify so no use for this anyway as far as I can see? Will see what impact it has once it's switched off.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2024, 09:54 AM   #16
Splont
Rep

Since I posed the question I've now switched to android auto, seems much more stable with the software update (not the 2024 one) and in dark mode I feel it fits the car design much better.

I was annoyed you can't force the BMW map to dark mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 03:24 AM   #17
Gaffer_H
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

I’ve just realised I have this trial as the headlights when opening and locking can be customised via 4 or maybe 5 different sequences, gimmicky but I quite like it.

However, what is puzzling me is shouldn’t I have the Spotify app on ID9?

I have various apps, game app, Amazon app and some my modes app but no Spotify.

Can you download Spotify onto the ID9 system?

Lastly, how much is this feature once the trial ends in the 3 months time? I’m wanting to use Spotify, not so much everything else.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 04:37 AM   #18
Danny_Shadow
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 U11 X1 sDrive20i MSport

You can download Spotify as an app in ID9 yes.
In the UK Digital Premium is £9.99 per month or £99 per year.

Question for you if i may - Can you tell me which menu the Headlight customisation for locking/unlocking is? TIA
      04-13-2024, 05:11 AM   #19
Gaffer_H
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_Shadow View Post

Question for you if i may - Can you tell me which menu the Headlight customisation for locking/unlocking is? TIA
Thanks for that, I’ll probably pay £99 instead of the monthly carry on, not into monthly subscriptions, I’d rather just get it out of the way.

When I’m in the car, I’ll let you know where the customisation is.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 09:34 AM   #20
Gaffer_H
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_Shadow View Post

Go to Vehicle, exterior lighting, settings, welcome and good bye.. I’m currently set to ‘Vivace’.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2024, 02:22 PM   #21
Splont
Rep

When I got the latest idrive update Spotify appeared as an app despite not having premium.

I then reset the car to factory defaults to get drive recorder back and it disappeared. Strange but not surprising
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2024, 10:30 PM   #22
COOLGREANY
Riding BMWs since 1977
Rep
Drives: 24 xDrive28i Space Silver

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer_H View Post
Can you download Spotify onto the ID9 system?
Spotify is already available on my ID9 but that may go away tomorrow as my 3-month Digital Premium ends today.

However, I have Spotify through Android Auto so not a problem.

Last edited by COOLGREANY; 04-13-2024 at 10:38 PM..
Appreciate 0