BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) It’s finally here… 25e.

04-06-2024, 01:43 AM   #1
Gaffer_H
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

It’s finally here… 25e.

New UK poster, moving over from many years of Audi ownership come next Thursday.

2024 25e plug in hybrid
M sport
Pro pack
Tech pack
20 inch wheels
Panoramic roof
Tinted rear windows
Portimao blue

I’ve waited almost 12 months for this car, it’s replacing an Audi A3 TFSIe 245 competition (plug in hybrid), my A3 is a very similar spec to the X1 coming but obviously Audi and no Quattro system so being 245PS it spins the wheels for fun when it’s using the electric motor and engine in tandem, you cannot really use the power unless it a bone dry, warmish day, any hint of slip and the ESP kicks in and cuts the power.

This brings me onto xdrive, how does the xdrive system work in the X1?

I am told it’s predominantly FWD, and diverts power to the rear wheels should the front wheels slip, my question is this, how does it work and can you feel the front wheels slip before power is pushed to the rear wheels for more grip?

Is the 245PS in the BMW going to be more usable than the 245PS in my current A3?

My Mrs has had BMW’s for years, she has a new 2 series gran coupe coming when we come back from Mexico in July so needless to say, I’m very excited for my first BMW.

Loved the Audi’s I’ve had over the years but fancied a change, plus I play golf, we have 2 small kids so needed something bigger.. basically a bit of a ‘dad wagon’.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 03:55 AM   #2
Duncs1961
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11)

I can't tell you how X-drive performs or works, but I can say I regret only getting the 'S-drive' version (FWD only). I only have the 1.5litre 3-pot engine + MHEV, but even the power of that combo spins the wheels (and causes nasty 'tramp' too) all to easily, even on bone-dry roads.

Mind you, the OEM Nexen 'ditch finder' tyres my X1 came fitted with from the factory probably don't help much either!

By the way, that's a nice spec. you've gone for!

Last edited by Duncs1961; 04-06-2024 at 04:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 04:14 AM   #3
Gaffer_H
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncs1961 View Post
I can't tell you how X-drive performs or works, but I can say I regret only getting the 'S-drive' version (FWD only). I only have the 1.5litre 3-pot engine + MHEV, but even the power of that combo spins the wheels (and causes nasty 'tramp' too) all to easily, even on bone-dry roads.

Mind you, the OEM Nexen 'dtich finder' tyres my X1 came from the factory with probably don't help either!
Sounds like the same issues I have with my A3, it’s just down to the amount of power through the front wheels.

It’s so annoying, put your foot down then you just get banging from the front end squabbling for grip.

Poor form if BMW are putting ditch finders on a 40K plus car.

The Bridgestone’s are just about ok on the A3.

My Mrs 1 series has Michelins on and they are very good, I’m guessing same 1500L engine that you describe in your X1, hopefully her 2 series GC comes with the same.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 04:47 AM   #4
John27
John27
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 23i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer_H View Post
New UK poster, moving over from many years of Audi ownership come next Thursday.

2024 25e plug in hybrid
M sport
Pro pack
Tech pack
20 inch wheels
Panoramic roof
Tinted rear windows
Portimao blue

I’ve waited almost 12 months for this car, it’s replacing an Audi A3 TFSIe 245 competition (plug in hybrid), my A3 is a very similar spec to the X1 coming but obviously Audi and no Quattro system so being 245PS it spins the wheels for fun when it’s using the electric motor and engine in tandem, you cannot really use the power unless it a bone dry, warmish day, any hint of slip and the ESP kicks in and cuts the power.

This brings me onto xdrive, how does the xdrive system work in the X1?

I am told it’s predominantly FWD, and diverts power to the rear wheels should the front wheels slip, my question is this, how does it work and can you feel the front wheels slip before power is pushed to the rear wheels for more grip?

Is the 245PS in the BMW going to be more usable than the 245PS in my current A3?

My Mrs has had BMW’s for years, she has a new 2 series gran coupe coming when we come back from Mexico in July so needless to say, I’m very excited for my first BMW.

Loved the Audi’s I’ve had over the years but fancied a change, plus I play golf, we have 2 small kids so needed something bigger.. basically a bit of a ‘dad wagon’.
My understanding (there are a number of videos on Youtube) is that XDrive is to BMW's what Quattro is to Audi. In BMW's case. 40% of power is directed to the front wheels and 60% to the rear during normal use. In the event any wheel loses grip, the XDrive system transfers up to 100% of the power to the appropriate axle to retain control. I can't find anything that says XDrive works differently on the new X1 (U11) than it does on other BMW's but I am not sure if being a PHEV has any impact either? Others may be able to help with this.

You were told that the car is predominantly front wheel drive where power is transferred to the rear wheels only when the front slips. That seems to describe the VW/Audi AWD Haldex system which I had on my previous car (VW Tiguan - same on Audi Q3). The X1 seems to me, to be far more sure-footed with XDrive.

Hope you enjoy you new car.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 06:03 AM   #5
Fish Fingers
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 30e M Sport

We have had a few Audi's. S3s / S4 / wife had TT. UK based also.

I don't think you will regret moving to BMW. They are far more driver focused.
Tbh, I didn't like any of my Audi's much. Quite rapid....but a bit numb and boring.

There used to be 2 Quattro systems. Traditional torque and Haldex. The latter wasn't so good imo.

Re X1:
We have recently got the 30e Sport for the wife in Portimao blue (great colour).
Brilliant car. You will love it.

Not sure exactly how the AWD works (I think it's engine drives fronts / motor rears)??
But we have never once struggled for grip. Even in the wet leaving a junction, it just grips and goes!
If you think about it, a motor on each axle should give better control (if managed properly) than a single power source split between axles at varying rates.

Only real complaint from me is the steering is too light.

So don't worry about the grip. It's not an issue on the phev X1. It's incredibly sure footed.

Last edited by Fish Fingers; 04-06-2024 at 06:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 02:11 PM   #6
timesone
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

BMW xDrive: assured power and traction no matter the weather or terrain.

The BMW xDrive system intelligently controls the distribution of power to all four wheels to maximize traction, agility and directional stability in all weather and road conditions.

The xDrive system is linked to the chassis control systems at all times. A power take-off bevel gear on the front axle, a dual-section propeller shaft and a rear axle differential with an electro-hydraulically controlled hang-on clutch are used to efficiently split drive torque between the front and rear wheels as the situation demands. In driving situations that do not require all-wheel drive, the engine’s power is sent to the front wheels only. In adverse road conditions or highly dynamic driving situations, the hang-on clutch shifts drive power to the rear wheels in fractions of a second to significantly enhance traction, directional stability and the sporty handling expected from a BMW.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 02:33 PM   #7
Gaffer_H
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John27 View Post
My understanding (there are a number of videos on Youtube) is that XDrive is to BMW's what Quattro is to Audi. In BMW's case. 40% of power is directed to the front wheels and 60% to the rear during normal use. In the event any wheel loses grip, the XDrive system transfers up to 100% of the power to the appropriate axle to retain control. I can't find anything that says XDrive works differently on the new X1 (U11) than it does on other BMW's but I am not sure if being a PHEV has any impact either? Others may be able to help with this.

You were told that the car is predominantly front wheel drive where power is transferred to the rear wheels only when the front slips. That seems to describe the VW/Audi AWD Haldex system which I had on my previous car (VW Tiguan - same on Audi Q3). The X1 seems to me, to be far more sure-footed with XDrive.

Hope you enjoy you new car.
Thanks for the reply, that’s how I understood xdrive works on a traditional ICE car.

I thought it was different on a plug in hybrid or electric car.

I’ll find out soon enough if it’s any good or not.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 02:40 PM   #8
Gaffer_H
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Fingers View Post
We have had a few Audi's. S3s / S4 / wife had TT. UK based also.

I don't think you will regret moving to BMW. They are far more driver focused.
Tbh, I didn't like any of my Audi's much. Quite rapid....but a bit numb and boring.

There used to be 2 Quattro systems. Traditional torque and Haldex. The latter wasn't so good imo.

Re X1:
We have recently got the 30e Sport for the wife in Portimao blue (great colour).
Brilliant car. You will love it.

Not sure exactly how the AWD works (I think it's engine drives fronts / motor rears)??
But we have never once struggled for grip. Even in the wet leaving a junction, it just grips and goes!
If you think about it, a motor on each axle should give better control (if managed properly) than a single power source split between axles at varying rates.

Only real complaint from me is the steering is too light.

So don't worry about the grip. It's not an issue on the phev X1. It's incredibly sure footed.
You’ve nailed it with the ‘a bit numb and boring remark’ to describe Audi, they look brilliant and are nice to drive but like you say, numb.. for me they feel like something is missing.

My Mrs has a 118i F40 1 series and although slower than a snail, I prefer to drive that, it just feels more planted and engaging to drive, even though it’s an auto, I also prefer the interior. If I am being critical of the 1er the steering can feel a little lightweight.

Mines the 25e, if you don’t struggle for grip in the 30e which is more powerful, I’ll be fine in thr 25e.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 02:48 PM   #9
Gaffer_H
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by timesone View Post
BMW xDrive: assured power and traction no matter the weather or terrain.

The BMW xDrive system intelligently controls the distribution of power to all four wheels to maximize traction, agility and directional stability in all weather and road conditions.

The xDrive system is linked to the chassis control systems at all times. A power take-off bevel gear on the front axle, a dual-section propeller shaft and a rear axle differential with an electro-hydraulically controlled hang-on clutch are used to efficiently split drive torque between the front and rear wheels as the situation demands. In driving situations that do not require all-wheel drive, the engine’s power is sent to the front wheels only. In adverse road conditions or highly dynamic driving situations, the hang-on clutch shifts drive power to the rear wheels in fractions of a second to significantly enhance traction, directional stability and the sporty handling expected from a BMW.
Interesting about power to front wheels only in situations that do not need AWD, how would it know? I’m guessing by how it’s being driven, grip and the fancy computers that control the xdrive system.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 03:29 PM   #10
MontyB1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

In the 23e/30e the battery powers the motor for the rear wheels on its own and the engine powers the front wheels. So if you are chilling and aren’t booting it around then your just have gentle rear wheel drive.

If you floor it the then the front engine and the rear wheels do their best to throw you down the road in tandem, you can feel the witch buts it’s not very prominent. We haven’t had any traction issues at all in the 25e.

When it runs out of battery you are left with the front wheels and some fill or to help traction from the rear wheels to provide some basic xdrive.

Audi vs BMW, the Audis I’ve had it’s like they haven’t been taught what a corner is, the BMW will say oh that corner was nice I think that was 70% of what I can do next time let’s try 85%. Even my wife prefers to drive a BMW due to the way they ‘feel’ to her that others she had had a test drive of.
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2024, 12:57 AM   #11
Gaffer_H
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB1 View Post
In the 23e/30e the battery powers the motor for the rear wheels on its own and the engine powers the front wheels. So if you are chilling and aren’t booting it around then your just have gentle rear wheel drive.

If you floor it the then the front engine and the rear wheels do their best to throw you down the road in tandem, you can feel the witch buts it’s not very prominent. We haven’t had any traction issues at all in the 25e.

When it runs out of battery you are left with the front wheels and some fill or to help traction from the rear wheels to provide some basic xdrive.

Audi vs BMW, the Audis I’ve had it’s like they haven’t been taught what a corner is, the BMW will say oh that corner was nice I think that was 70% of what I can do next time let’s try 85%. Even my wife prefers to drive a BMW due to the way they ‘feel’ to her that others she had had a test drive of.
Thanks for the reply, makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 04:42 AM   #12
Fish Fingers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Interesting about power to front wheels only in situations that do not need AWD, how would it know? I’m guessing by how it’s being driven, grip and the fancy computers that control the xdrive system.
The modern systems on cars will be picking up on numerous metrics constantly.

If say a wheel starts to lose grip, the puters will know instantly (thousandth of a second or a few degrees of rotation) and will then adjust things accordingly.
It will then reassess and adjust dynamically without the driver even realising.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 05:15 AM   #13
Gaffer_H
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The modern systems on cars will be picking up on numerous metrics constantly.

If say a wheel starts to lose grip, the puters will know instantly (thousandth of a second or a few degrees of rotation) and will then adjust things accordingly.
It will then reassess and adjust dynamically without the driver even realising.
So in my current A3, if I’m at the lights and want to get a lick on around a wagon for example, I have to really control the wheel slip with my right foot before the ESP kicks in, once that happens i’m just left with the front end banging like hell whilst it’s squabbling for grip, will xdrive stop this?

It’s not like I’m driving like a tit or anything, there’s just too much power through the front wheels, you can accelerate down/up a slip road up to 70 mph and the front end is all over the place especially in the wet, don’t get me wrong in some circumstances it’s quite fun but in the wet, whilst the electric motor and engine are working in tandem grip can be hard to come by at times.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 05:51 AM   #14
Fish Fingers
Private
Rep

Quote:
So in my current A3, if I’m at the lights and want to get a lick on around a wagon for example, I have to really control the wheel slip with my right foot before the ESP kicks in, once that happens i’m just left with the front end banging like hell whilst it’s squabbling for grip, will xdrive stop this?

It’s not like I’m driving like a tit or anything, there’s just too much power through the front wheels, you can accelerate down/up a slip road up to 70 mph and the front end is all over the place especially in the wet, don’t get me wrong in some circumstances it’s quite fun but in the wet, whilst the electric motor and engine are working in tandem grip can be hard to come by at times.
In a nutshell - yes.

The wife had a Audi TT 2.0l Fwd. That was the same as your A3.
Every time I drove it and left a junction for example, it would spin the fronts with the lightest touch if the throttle. It was a real pita. It felt completely overwhelmed with the power.

X drive will just move the torque (up to 100%) to the rear axle.
Haldex should do the same with VAG cars - but it never worked as well for me as X Drive does.

Never once had wheelspin in the X1.

Report back on this thread after you get it and the A3 is still fresh in your mind.
Appreciate 1
donnus20.50
      04-08-2024, 09:31 AM   #15
Gaffer_H
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
In a nutshell - yes.

The wife had a Audi TT 2.0l Fwd. That was the same as your A3.
Every time I drove it and left a junction for example, it would spin the fronts with the lightest touch if the throttle. It was a real pita. It felt completely overwhelmed with the power.

X drive will just move the torque (up to 100%) to the rear axle.
Haldex should do the same with VAG cars - but it never worked as well for me as X Drive does.

Never once had wheelspin in the X1.

Report back on this thread after you get it and the A3 is still fresh in your mind.
All makes sense, it sounds like you’ve felt my pain with your TT, from what you’re saying it sounds like I’m going to be well impressed with xdrive.

I’ll report back.

Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 10:40 AM   #16
Fish Fingers
Private
Rep

Quote:
All makes sense, it sounds like you’ve felt my pain with your TT, from what you’re saying it sounds like I’m going to be well impressed with xdrive.

I’ll report back.

Thanks for your help.
We used to have a T junction where we entered a main road near our old house.
It was on a slight uphill incline.
I used to dread it in the Fwd TT.
It was actually dangerous, as it used to spin the fronts and the car didn't move unless you were extremely careful on the throttle.

It's a non issue in the X1. It just does its thing without you even being aware of it.
Appreciate 1
      04-08-2024, 04:20 PM   #17
[/:\] GP9000
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: F31 330i

Garage List
If you want to read more in-depth technical details, besides very crisp explanations by fellow members, I recommend this article by German publication AutoMotorSport about the 3 xDrive variants available in X1 line up. Gaffer_H

[Pls use google translate]
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...-im-vergleich/
Appreciate 1
donnus20.50
      04-08-2024, 09:56 PM   #18
Fish Fingers
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by [/:\] GP9000 View Post
If you want to read more in-depth technical details, besides very crisp explanations by fellow members, I recommend this article by German publication AutoMotorSport about the 3 xDrive variants available in X1 line up. Gaffer_H

[Pls use google translate]
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...-im-vergleich/
Excellent article.

Strangely enough, I was looking for the article again and found it translated to English on Top Gear site:

https://topgear-autoguide.com/catego...-of-1688345225

Last edited by Fish Fingers; 04-09-2024 at 06:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 02:59 PM   #19
Gaffer_H
United Kingdom
Rep

So, the car has turned up.

It’s lovely motor, however there’s an issue.

My X1 was ordered with the M sport pro pack, it has the 20s, the tinted windows, HK sound system, however I have no black grille.

Currently the lease company and my broker are trying to rectify the situation.

Basically what’s happened is this, after my car was ordered, the prices and basic spec of the M sport was changed by BMW Germany.

The M sport came standard with the tech pack 1 when I placed the order.

The pro pack, again at the time of ordering included:

Tinted windows
Shadow line contents including black grille
20 inch wheels
HK sound system

However from the time of ordering and the car being built all the options on BMW website changed, the contents of the pro pack changed and the standard equipment on the M sport changed, what the supplying dealer has done to get me the car I ordered is add the tech pack 1, tinted windows, 20 inch wheels, HK system and the shadow line contents as single options, but what they couldn’t add is the grille as that’s not available as a single option, hence why I now have the majority of what was the pro pack before the revisions.

BMW Wakefield advised the lease company that the car could be supplied with all my options except for the black grille in July last year, however the leasing company never advised my broker, who could have then advised me.

Long and short is this, the broker is pushing the lease company to pay for the retrofit of the black grille as currently I haven’t been supplied with what was ordered.

It’s not a show stopper for me but I do want the black grille, if I’d have known it wasn’t coming with the black grille I would have ordered a different colour.

Overall though, the car is great and I’m well pleased with it.

I just hope the grille situation is sorted, this is a company car and we lease all our cars from Ogilvie therefore it would be short sighted of them to tell me to swivel however I won’t hold my breath.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 10:57 PM   #20
Fish Fingers
Private
Rep

Congrats on the new car.

I am sure the black grill is an easy fix. I have seen threads where people replace them or even just wrap them. Shouldn't be a major issue.

How are you finding the grip and traction overall after the Audi?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2024, 11:07 PM   #21
Fish Fingers
Private
Rep

https://u11.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ghlight=Grille
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2024, 01:37 AM   #22
Gaffer_H
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Congrats on the new car.

I am sure the black grill is an easy fix. I have seen threads where people replace them or even just wrap them. Shouldn't be a major issue.

How are you finding the grip and traction overall after the Audi?
Regarding the grill, I’m hoping so.

If it comes to it I’ll get it wrapped, as long as it doesn’t look like a dogs dinner.

The traction, well the difference between the two cars is like night and day.

The cars only got 50 odd mile on so I’ve not thrashed it however, I’ve had a couple of blips off the line.. it grips and gos, not a hint of wheel slip.. impressed with that.

One thing that is a tad underwhelming is the HK sound system, there seems to be a lack of bass compared to the B&O I had in the Audi, from what I can see in the settings I have, balance, fader, treble and bass but no option for the sub woofer control, should that exist or is it not a thing?

The same songs in the BMW don’t have as much punch as in the Audi, I’ll keep playing around with it.

The enhanced sound setting, to me makes everything more tinny sounding, I know we are talking about a car stereo system so it’s never going to be top notch but I expected more from the H&K.

I’m using Apple ITunes and wireless car play, I used to use the lightning adaptor in the Audi, could this be the issue or is it as it should be? I don’t know.
Appreciate 0