BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) BMW X1 M Package with Premium Essential Package Doesn't handle bumpy roads that well

05-20-2023, 05:36 PM   #1
puzzlepuzzling
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2023 M package

BMW X1 M Package with Premium Essential Package Doesn't handle bumpy roads that well

Hello all,

In January of 2023, I had the opportunity to try out the fully equipped BMW X1 with the M package (which comes with the M Adaptive Suspension), which featured 20-inch wheels. I was thoroughly impressed with the car during the test drive, as the drive was incredibly smooth, even when traversing bumpy roads. However, now that I have purchased the same car (with 18-inch wheels) and been driving it for the past two days, I've noticed that it doesn't handle bumps as well as the test car did.

The main differences between the car I purchased and the test car lie in the wheels, tires, and environmental conditions. The test car was equipped with 20-inch wheels and was driven during winter, while the car I bought has 18-inch wheels and it is currently summer with temperatures around 16 degrees Celsius. As a result, I've been experiencing a noticeable impact from bumps while driving, to varying degrees. The tires on my car are Continental ProContact GX 225/55/R18 102H Summer and Winter, which, when touched, feel similar to a basketball.

In an attempt to improve the ride quality, I experimented with different tire pressures. I tried adjusting the pressure to 40 psi, 36 psi, 34 psi, 32 psi, and 30 psi. Among these, 30 psi provided the most comfortable ride, although it still falls short compared to the experience I had with the test car.

My primary concern is whether the difference in tires played a role in this discrepancy. Unfortunately, I am unaware of the specific tires that were fitted on the test car. Additionally, I am curious if the 20-inch wheels themselves made a significant difference in the overall ride quality.

Additionally, could the M Adaptive Suspension been differently setup between my car and the one I was given? Here I am not talking about the different driving modes (Personal, Sport and Efficient) but more about going inside the car and having changed the M Adaptive Suspension.

Are the tires I have too rigid and could be the cause?

Thank you for your attention and any insights you may have regarding these matters.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 05:46 PM   #2
FZI89
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW iX1, U11

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlepuzzling View Post
Hello all,

In January of 2023, I had the opportunity to try out the fully equipped BMW X1 with the M package (which comes with the M Adaptive Suspension), which featured 20-inch wheels. I was thoroughly impressed with the car during the test drive, as the drive was incredibly smooth, even when traversing bumpy roads. However, now that I have purchased the same car (with 18-inch wheels) and been driving it for the past two days, I've noticed that it doesn't handle bumps as well as the test car did.

The main differences between the car I purchased and the test car lie in the wheels, tires, and environmental conditions. The test car was equipped with 20-inch wheels and was driven during winter, while the car I bought has 18-inch wheels and it is currently summer with temperatures around 16 degrees Celsius. As a result, I've been experiencing a noticeable impact from bumps while driving, to varying degrees. The tires on my car are Continental ProContact GX 225/55/R18 102H Summer and Winter, which, when touched, feel similar to a basketball.

In an attempt to improve the ride quality, I experimented with different tire pressures. I tried adjusting the pressure to 40 psi, 36 psi, 34 psi, 32 psi, and 30 psi. Among these, 30 psi provided the most comfortable ride, although it still falls short compared to the experience I had with the test car.

My primary concern is whether the difference in tires played a role in this discrepancy. Unfortunately, I am unaware of the specific tires that were fitted on the test car. Additionally, I am curious if the 20-inch wheels [...]
The 20 inch wheels are 245 compared the the 225 of the 18 inch wheels. This would also attribute to the difference ride comfort
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 05:50 PM   #3
puzzlepuzzling
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZI89 View Post
The 20 inch wheels are 245 compared the the 225 of the 18 inch wheels. This would also attribute to the difference ride comfort
Would that attribute to a more comfortable ride? That is would take bumps better, move less and have a better overall drive? I fear that in the BMW X1 with the M Adapative Suspension the 245 width could have a positive impact on the suspension taking bumps better. What do you think?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 06:00 PM   #4
FZI89
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW iX1, U11

Garage List
Ride comfort, noise level and grip are enhanced with wider tires. However, bigger wheels means less comfort. I think you just need to find a good balance. I opted for the 19 inch wheels with 245 tires.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 06:42 PM   #5
puzzlepuzzling
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZI89 View Post
Ride comfort, noise level and grip are enhanced with wider tires. However, bigger wheels means less comfort. I think you just need to find a good balance. I opted for the 19 inch wheels with 245 tires.
I will go to a dealership next week and give the 19 or/and the 20 inch tires a try and see how they compare against the 18inch wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 07:08 PM   #6
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 M Sport, '24 530i(soon)

Quote:
I will go to a dealership next week and give the 19 or/and the 20 inch tires a try and see how they compare against the 18inch wheels.
I picked up my X1 with M Sport and M Adaptive Suspension 3 weeks ago.

I'm experiencing almost the same thing as you are. Except in my case, the 19-inch wheels with 245 tires on the test drive X1 at the dealership was much smoother than my X1. (although that one had standard suspension)

My X1 came with Pirelli P-Zero All-Season 225/55/R18 tires. They are borderline harsh. I've had lower profile tires on other cars and they never felt this harsh. (35 and 40-series tires with lowered sport suspension systems)

At first, I thought it was the Pirelli tires, but I've read a few reviews of people who have the same M Adaptive Suspension and 18-inch tries by Continental and Nexen.

I've tried increasing and lowering the tire pressures by 1 or 2 psi. Turning sport mode on or off. Nothing made any real detectable difference.

The only thing left is the very few miles that I've driven so far. (appx. 250 miles on the odometer) I have a long trip coming up next week and will most likely take me beyond 1000 miles... so I'm hoping the suspension(struts, springs) and tires just need to be broken in?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 09:17 PM   #7
puzzlepuzzling
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceSilverX1 View Post

I'm experiencing almost the same thing as you are. Except in my case, the 19-inch wheels with 245 tires on the test drive X1 at the dealership was much smoother than my X1. (although that one had standard suspension)

My X1 came with Pirelli P-Zero All-Season 225/55/R18 tires. They are borderline harsh. I've had lower profile tires on other cars and they never felt this harsh. (35 and 40-series tires with lowered sport suspension systems)

At first, I thought it was the Pirelli tires, but I've read a few reviews of people who have the same M Adaptive Suspension and 18-inch tries by Continental and Nexen.

I've tried increasing and lowering the tire pressures by 1 or 2 psi. Turning sport mode on or off. Nothing made any real detectable difference.

The only thing left is the very few miles that I've driven so far. (appx. 250 miles on the odometer) I have a long trip coming up next week and will most likely take me beyond 1000 miles... so I'm hoping the suspension(struts, springs) and tires just need to be broken in?
So I think the problem here is our tire and wheels. The 225/55 are just too small. I believe if we opt in for the 19inches with good tires it will be as good if not better than what we've test driven.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 09:20 PM   #8
puzzlepuzzling
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceSilverX1 View Post

You also opted in for the 18 inches. Your tires are most likely run flats as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 11:37 PM   #9
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
You also opted in for the 18 inches. Your tires are most likely run flats as well.
We do not get run flats in the US.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 11:43 PM   #10
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Hello all,

My primary concern is whether the difference in tires played a role in this discrepancy. Unfortunately, I am unaware of the specific tires that were fitted on the test car. Additionally, I am curious if the 20-inch wheels [...]
I have the same tires as you and my car feels fine. It’s dampening is sporty, but still comfortable. It will occasionally struggle a bit over poorly paved roads with harmonics but other than that I’ve never had an issue. FYI, these Continental tires are non run flats.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 12:07 AM   #11
puzzlepuzzling
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
I have the same tires as you and my car feels fine. It’s dampening is sporty, but still comfortable. It will occasionally struggle a bit over poorly paved roads with harmonics but other than that I’ve never had an issue. FYI, these Continental tires are non run flats.
You have the m package with the 18-inch wheel? Did the comfort in terms of taking bumps change with time?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 12:13 AM   #12
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
You have the m package with the 18-inch wheel? Did the comfort in terms of taking bumps change with time?
Yes, same setup as you. I’ve got about 4,000 miles on it now and things have broken in. Brakes aren’t as sensitive, suspension has settled a bit, and tires are slightly less noisy. Have you considered that maybe your suspension limiters may not have been removed during PDI? There was another forum member who possibly had the shipping block still in one strut causing an uneven ride height, it was a fairly recent post I think.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 12:15 AM   #13
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Another thing to consider is 20” wheels are heavier unsprung weight, and thus will rebound differently compared to a lighter smaller wheel.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 12:31 AM   #14
puzzlepuzzling
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yes, same setup as you. I’ve got about 4,000 miles on it now and things have broken in. Brakes aren’t as sensitive, suspension has settled a bit, and tires are slightly less noisy. Have you considered that maybe your suspension limiters may not have been removed during PDI? There was another forum member who possibly had the shipping block still in one strut causing an uneven ride height, it was a fairly recent post I think.
I have a feeling that I need to ride the car a little bit to let the suspension adjust itself or something. As for the 20 inches wheel maybe and maybe not. Usually the bigger the wheels the more you feel the bumps. So I an unsure how it would help. The car I test drove had about 2-3k km to it. So similar one to yours. Maybe mine also needs to be broken I. Ill call the dealer next week to see if there is any suggestion on their side that they can give me.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 01:42 AM   #15
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
I have a feeling that I need to ride the car a little bit to let the suspension adjust itself or something. As for the 20 inches wheel maybe and maybe not. Usually the bigger the wheels the more you feel the bumps. So I an unsure how it would help. The car I test drove had about 2-3k km to it. So similar one to yours. Maybe mine also needs to be broken I. Ill call the dealer next week to see if there is any suggestion on their side that they can give me.
As I understand it, you're mostly correct. Larger wheels generally mean tires with shorter sidewalls, which would affect stiffness to some degree but varies with each tire model. But with a heavier wheel, you have a higher moment of inertia, which means less of a change in direction in a period of time compared to a lighter wheel. This *could* help smooth out bumps to some degree because it wouldn't be as easily upset by bumps as a lighter wheel. This is all just speculation of course, as there are so many factors that go into engineering a suspension that I couldn't even begin to comprehend.

All I can say for sure is my car seems fine and the suspension tuning seems in line with my previous BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 01:57 AM   #16
Duncs1961
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 (U11)

My X1 on 18" wheels (Nexan tyres, not run-flat) handles poor, rutted roads supremely well; however, it does not have M sport suspension, so I guess it will be more compliant and forgiving than one that does have that package. Thing is though, 18" wheels, at least in my case, are not a problem at all.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 05:03 AM   #17
bfaliszek
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 U11

I always thought that the adaptive suspension (especially with the M Sport package) adjusts the settings depending mostly on the speed. So that at higher speeds the car handles well. In the case of the M Sport, suspension is even firmer than normal. Road quality is of secondary importance here. M Sport with a firmer suspension by default is less comfortable on a poor road
Appreciate 1
Tomduck400.50
      05-21-2023, 10:25 AM   #18
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Nope. No RFTs available in the USA for U11 X1.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 11:39 AM   #19
50ShadesOfGrey
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

I have the 19inch non run flat tires (continental) and base suspension (I.e., not m sport and not adaptive suspension) and my X1 takes smooth roads smoothly and bumpy roads almost as smoothly. Your problem might be the combination of 20 inch tires and the sport/adaptive suspension, which is tuned to ride firmer regardless of tire size. Both the 20 inch tires and the m sport suspension promote a much firmer ride.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 11:53 AM   #20
puzzlepuzzling
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50ShadesOfGrey View Post
I have the 19inch non run flat tires (continental) and base suspension (I.e., not m sport and not adaptive suspension) and my X1 takes smooth roads smoothly and bumpy roads almost as smoothly. Your problem might be the combination of 20 inch tires and the sport/adaptive suspension, which is tuned to ride firmer regardless of tire size. Both the 20 inch tires and the m sport suspension promote a much firmer ride.
I'll be trying out a 19 or 20 inch wheel next week and see if there is any difference. I have the 18 inch with tire size 225/55/18.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2023, 12:51 PM   #21
SpaceSilverX1
slowest X1 driver ever
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 M Sport, '24 530i(soon)

Quote:
that was me. it was fine for several days but the problem came back. less severe, but that right rear corner somehow became an inch and half taller again. It was normal after the first trip back from the dealer. The service tech told me that there was nothing stuck or left behind in there.

Now I suspect it's either the spring or the strut in that corner getting caught on something and not being able to come back down to its proper height. That explains why the tech's spirited test drive loosened it up. If I had to guess, it could be the rubber pad on top of the spring, although I'm not sure if BMWs uses those? Had something similar happen to me when I got lowering springs installed in an old Mercedes and the rubber pad came off halfway, but the mechanic didn't notice it.
Appreciate 0